• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Gain Boost for a JCM800 that is not a SD-1

Sayuncledave

Lots of good suggestions so far. I'd add the Boosta Grande, if you're looking for clean boost. That aside, what about the Smallbox pedal? It's pretty well into the JCM800 vein, as it were.

V-man

Not calling anyone out in particular (perhaps some of these address the specific parameters set forth)...

But why do I get the feeling many posted a cool boost that’s not an SD-1 with no regard for the rest of the OP?

ukslinger

Not calling anyone out in particular (perhaps some of these address the specific parameters set forth)...

But why do I get the feeling many posted a cool boost that’s not an SD-1 with no regard for the rest of the OP?

That’s why I’m liking the buxom boost. I’ve had several pedals that sound pretty clear but they seem to take the feel and response away…which is probably what a lot of people love when they use a TS with a 5150 or whatever. I still run pretty high gain but I don’t want the pedal to take away that amp interaction. The buxom is the closest to an extension of an amp as I’ve tried.

BADHAK

Out of the dozen or so boost/OD pedals I tried with my crunching 2203's the best was the Barber LTD SR followed by the Barber Direct Drive. Ibanez TS808 hw was a close third but proved to be unreliable.

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
I hated the SD-1 and all the MXR variants with my 2203x. In fact, I hated the the SD-1 in general with all my amps. The two boosts that work for me are the Timmy or the RC Boost, the latter being my favorite. Hit the amp with a ton of volume and EQ to taste. It will sound like your amp but more gain and a little extra sparkle.

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
The MXR ZW OD pairs really well with an 800
Which is really just an SD-1, as is the MXR Classic OD and a few others. Just saying, if the OP didn't like the SD-1 they probably won't like these either. I know I tried them all and didn't.

Badside

I have an SD-1, while its cool it takes away some of the bottom of the amp. I am looking to take the Hi gain input and make it more gain without coloring the tone too much. I currently have an SD-1, OCD, Timmy, Red Dirt and a Mythical OD. All cool in their own way but not quit there. I have tried the BE-OD and it was a bit much but worked ok in the low input side.

Thoughts? I was considering a BB Pre-amp.

For me it's a Klone (is that what the Mythical is?) And then the MXR Custom Badass Modified OD.

The MXR has the 100Hz knob so you can tune the low end.

Removing low end is part of the reason you use an OD, it tightens up the sound. I do add a resonance boost to my 2204s though, and sometimes change the bass cap to a 47nF. I'd rather cut some lows pre gain then boost it post gain. An EQ pedal in the loop (if you have one) also works great

bman5150us

Silver Supporting Member
Been digging my Wampler Tumnus with my Marshall Studio Classic. Tried my keeley-modded Boss SD1 with it and didn’t love it. I’ve got the Tumnus gain at around 9 o’clock. When I tried the SD1, I had rhe gain on 0. The SD1 wasn’t awful and did tighten things up a bit. However, I just felt like the tone was something I’ve heard a million times over-and we all probably have. It wasn’t unique at all.

Jonathan

Platinum Supporting Member
Amptweaker TightBoost works best for me with all of my amps.

I generally prefer these EQ boost types over ODs though. VFE Rocket EQ is also great but noisier than the Amptweaker.

The Amptweaker has such a powerful control of midrange and bass and you can really dial it in to exactly what you want.

blackmonday

Silver Supporting Member
I have an SD-1, while its cool it takes away some of the bottom of the amp. I am looking to take the Hi gain input and make it more gain without coloring the tone too much. I currently have an SD-1, OCD, Timmy, Red Dirt and a Mythical OD. All cool in their own way but not quit there. I have tried the BE-OD and it was a bit much but worked ok in the low input side.

If I wanted to play with overdrives into my 2203 I would plug in my HX Stomp and have a good time. Have you considered modeling?

johnny q

The two that pair the absolute best with my JCM800 2204:
  • Barber Direct Drive: This one adds a bit of compression to these ears and the push pull tone control adds "fat harmonics" if you so desire (my model is older circa 2007.) If my JCM800 had a second gain channel, THIS is what it would sound like
  • Rimrock Mythical Overdrive VS: Totally transparent, brings more of the amps "goodness" without adding coloration
My search is over.

sutherland

A few that I really enjoy:
- Suhr Koko Boost
- Boss SD-1W
- Suhr Shiba Drive Reloaded
- Keeley GC-2

The Suhr Koko Boost running at 18v is probably my favorite going into my 800 (alright, it's an SC20H...but let me still play). It doesn't lop off any low end and you have the ability to zero in exactly on:
- how much DB boost you want
- if you want to boost Mids
- what frequency in Mids you wish to boost
- how much of that Mid Frequency is blended in

The Boss SD-1W is another great pedal. The Custom mod does retain some low-end (in comparison to the Standard SD-1), but it is still the 'leanest' of the group. What the SD-1 does that few pedals do is:
- add that edgy aggressive feel
- look the part (hey, I play the paint...SD-1 into a JCM is what the cool kids did)
- adds a fast feel/attack

The Suhr Shiba Drive Reloaded is 'close' to the SD-1, but here is how it differs:
- it does sound fuller and more even, more of your signal is retained
- although it can match the EQ, it can't match aggressive/edgy sound
- it's quieter / more polite

IF you like to stack boosts, then no question...the Shiba. It has more headroom than the SD-1 (regardless of what voltage you run).

The Keeley GC-2 is a Compressor/Limiting Amplifier, but I run it more so as full-range boost:
- 3:1 Compression
- -10 Threshold
- 5DB Gain

It is always on and just adds a bit of mass/fatness to the signal. The Threshold is just enough to bring up all of the notes to unity, giving me a fuller/fatter sound (regardless of the boost/drive that runs before it).

----

On a whim, I did try the JHS Charlie Brown. Sounded FANTASTIC as a boost, but it was noisy and whistled when used with the GC-2. The GC-2 is too good to turn off and the Charlie Brown is not good enough for me to play Pedalboard Tetris again.

Last edited:

halcyon

I use the JHS Clover for exactly this application. It’s a massively underappreciated boost/EQ pedal.

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
Back in the day we used the Boss GE7.

And we liked it, son. Also the MXR Micro-Amp or DOD BI-FET Preamp.
Point being, consider a preamp that doesn't have a clipping array and let your preamp tubes do that work. The recommendations for the Xotic RC are good. Plenty of options to choose from right now, really.

LARRY GERSHON

Silver Supporting Member

I have been looking for the same thing for a few amps. I do t like that a lot of pedals change the tone too much, add mids take away bass. The two that I am looking at are the Friedman buxom boost and the Iommi boost. My friend swears by that Iommi boost. I think that pedal is made by Laney’s pedal custom shop,

Trending Topics

Top Bottom