Gain/Boost Pedals for Marshall

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GoodGAS, Jul 27, 2006.

1. GoodGAS

GoodGAS Supporting Member

I'm not at all experienced with effects pedals and since the only gain/boost pedal I own is a TS9, thought I'd come to my TGP bros for recommendations on gain/boost pedals to use with my Marshall 100HW. Absolutely love this amp, just looking for some interesting pedals to put in front of her...

Criteria: higher gain at lower amp volume setting, natural/organic sounding, pedals voiced/designed specifically for Marshall applications (???), quiet, true by-pass circuitry, Hendrix, Page, Van Halen tones, etc...

Tell me about your pedals please....muchos gracias !!

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

Try a treble booster, or a clean boost.

3. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

yikes 100 watts so you're probably going to need something that generates it's own distortion to get those tones at lower volumes.

Um, do you have a price range?

Because off hand, I usually say BJF DRD because it's awesome but those sound best at louder volumes IMHO and I'm not sure how loud you can be?

I don't think anything will get you to bedroom levels.

Oh, The Keeley Rat would be a good one to check out too. It will work very well with your TS9.

Maybe the MI Audio Crunchbox......

Proanalog has some very tasty offerings too but so do about a half million other companies.

Also see Barber Burn Unit EQ

oh and for Van Halen.... Love Pedal Black Magic. The Black Beauty Balance as well for more classic tones.

4. Formvar

Formvar Supporting Member

Well, you love the amp. Those Super leads get damn loud when you crank them up. My opinion is to place a neutral sounding overdrive in front of the amp. The Timmy pedal comes to mind. If you place a pedal that is supposedly a Marshall in a Box type of device, what you`ll get might be a bunch of mud with the inherent qualities of your amp being masked with too much midrange content. I think that your goal is to have that awesome sound of your plexi without bleeding ears. If so, try pedals that are neutral overdrives out. You can always try a variac type of device, but some people don`t like what it does to the sound. My 2 cents...

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

That is true. If you like the tone already, going with a somewhat transparent more of what you have already type is probably the best option. It's nice like on the Timmy to have that EQ stack, so you can fine tune things.

6. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Randy- When I work out a hall pass from daddy duty, I'll bring over a bag o' boosts for you to play with (I have an embarrassing pile). I'm thinking about getting a HW too...and we can compare 13s. :)

7. jgyn

jgyn Member

I'm using a ZVex Super Duper 2 in 1 with my Marshall Super Lead.

8. GoodGAS

GoodGAS Supporting Member

Awesome stuff bro's! Yeah I like the way the 100HW sounds at full tilt but my neighbors aren't as into it :crazy

Besides, I need to get way more smart on this fun pedal stuff...

Mr G...your offer is accepted...I just plugged into my FTR and man that thang's got some teeth...I'll supply the Hefe Weiss...:BEER

9. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Maybe not so botique, but I run a Fulltone '69 into a Jeckyll & Hyde into my 1959 SLP without much gain on the OD, and it sounds very, very Jimi raw live.
    Peace, Mass

10. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Exactly. That's also why TS circuits don't usually make it with non-mv Marshall guys.

Have you looked into load boxes/attentuators like the THD Hotplate or Weber MASS? That would be my first choice. Then, once you can set the amp on the verge of clipping without rising the local constable, your options really open up. A good clean boost, esp. something based around a jfet/mosfet which can add some presence when it's cranked, is typically a great match. Another choice would be the Xotic RC Boost, which has active bass & treble controls.

With self-distorting circuits, nothing I've heard beats the SIB Varidrive or Hot Chili Tubester with a traditional 4-input head. These are really high-volt tube preamps, require AC power and take up a bigger footprint than your average pedal (and are very tube-dependent for sound quality), but they sound like you've added another, high-gain preamp channel instead of running a fuzz/dist pedal.

Not that there's anything wrong with a good FuzzFace circuit in front of a SuperLead. Tried and true. The right Muff might work out, too; the IC-based version is my favorite, Euthymia makes a clone which sounds good.

A couple of Marshall guys I've met, both professional sidemen, swear by the boost channel of the H&K Tubefactor. Both are primarily Strat players, btw. YMMV.

11. retro

retro Member

12. jgyn

jgyn Member

Another one I like, especially with Stratocasters, is the Jacques Mercer Box. It's an overdrive with germanium transistors.

13. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

I also think that TIM or Timmy should be good for that application. And remember that Paul designed the TIM to boost his Marshall...

14. el34power

el34power Member

This is a job for a Crunch box and/or Barber DD. Period! I would get both. I would start with the CB and the DD after.

15. R.D.

R.D. Member

I'd take a look at two things !

1.) London Power's Power Scaling Box ( or Mod kit ) to help you tame the beast ( so to speak ) .... then,

2.) Keeley, Time Machine Boost

With the TMB you get two distinct flavors of boost ! I've got a George Lynch version which I love, but unfortunately those aren't made any longer and the seldom come up on Evil Bay . . . .

Good Luck !

16. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

The BEST and CHEAPEST combo that I will bet you on -that you always come back to-hindsight being 20/20 is the TIM/timmy AND the stephson FMD boost. Of course the Stage Hog will easily add boost, or some hair or make your amp sound like a Soldano or into the modded JCM 800 territory, but it is MUCH more money.....

17. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

I like my Boss OD3 with my Marshalls. The only thing that I've heard that I would replace it with would be an Analogman KOT (King of Tone) pedal. A buddy of mine has one, it's the perfect "clean boost"/OD pedal I've ever heard.

18. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Yes the Boss OD3 though colored sounding, sounds nice with a Marshall, blues breaker, KOT ( bluesbreaker based), sagrado, FMD, Super Hardon, and TIM or timmy

19. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

vote here for the Timmy, but stacked with an OCD. I just got a Timmy to see what all the hoopla was about, I have it stacked with an OCD into a TopHat Emplexi (A Very Marshally Amp) and all I can say is WOW! I wish I had put these two pedals together when I still had my Superlead, The Timmy has a more complex deep boost/drive, very versitle and the OCD is a bit more crunchy so together, you have a perfect gain structure. ......Somebody please put these two in the same box!!! and sell it to me!:drool

20. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Keep it simple: just get a Boss SD-1 (the yellow overdrive) - keep the gain down & jack the level. for screaming solos - use a AM Beano Boost.

I don't see the point of stacking 2-4 overdrive pedals to get a great tone - unless you never play outta yer bedroom. A Marshall cranked up just wants a bit hotter signal than is built in - THE REST IS IN YOUR HANDS!!!

Keep it raw . . :cool: