Gain Changer and Compact Direct Drive stacking order?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mark Milliron, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Mark Milliron

Mark Milliron Supporting Member

Hey everyone.

So I currently own a Gain Changer and I have a CDD on the way. I was planning to run the GC in low gain mode for light overdrive before the CDD which will be used for medium to high gain. Do any of you have experience with stacking these two pedals, and if so, how are you stacking them? I would love some recommended configurations to try!

Thanks!

losrogers likes this.
  2. pgoon

pgoon Member

I tried the GC in front of CDD a few weeks ago - same way you plan to use it ... sounded great... I actually have the CDD on most of the time - I find it to really do the touch sensitive thing so well... to my ears the CDD makes much more sense at the mid to high gain spot - GC is great low gain pedal... never tried running CDD first into GC, but that should be easy enough to try out :)

Teleman likes this.
  3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

I have a GC but not the CDD. However, I have a DD.

I like it better with DD (mid-hi gain) -> GC (low gain). Although, a low gain GC into a low gain DD also sounds good.

I guess I can say that both pedals are versatile enough to stack any which way you want. I know, it doesn't help! LOL

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

GC before CDD so you can goose the CDD into another level of gain. I ran that combo about 15 months ago or so. Nice work by DB!

5. Mark Milliron

Thanks for the input guys! I'm getting the CDD today so I'll post back after I've messed around with it!

6. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I run GC > CDD in terms of the order on my board. However, at present I have the CDD set to hi gain with the gain maxed out. Boosting with those settings with the GC, which is somewhat compressed, is just too much; it sounds a little congested if not necessarily bad. But I am sure it would sound good with the gain backed off on the CDD though. Really love GC set to low gain, middle eq setting for goosing other drives.

7. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Gain Changer into the CDD works great!

8. dburns

dburns Member

I actually forget what order I ran them when I had them, but I used the Direct Drive as my low to mid gain and the GC as my higher gain lead tone.

9. annostyle

annostyle Member

I had an older Direct drive for awhile and ran in before my Gain Changer. Id set up the Gain Changer for a gainy rhythm, then kick on the DD in front of it set low gain for leads. The DD has more mids, so it worked perfect this way.

10. Mark Milliron

I definitely think the CDD sounds better stacked into the GC, but I'm not loving the way either of them sound stacked into each other. That being said, I think they each sound fantastic separately! So I ended up ordering a Loop-Master Clean/Dirty so I can switch between them with one switch. We'll see how that works out when I get the Clean/Dirty in like 6 to 8 weeks lol.