Gain Changer for Marshall sounds?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Figaro, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Anyone use the Barber Gain Changer for Marshall sounds with a cleanish Fender amp?

2. papersun

papersun Member

It's not really voiced for that sort of thing, I think the Direct Drive is more Marshally.

3. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Yeah, Direct Drive should fit the bill. Tho I did prefer it in front of another OD.

4. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

DD is probably what you want but I have to say that I could get good Marshally sounds out of my GC and Super Reverb.

5. bandintheclouds

bandintheclouds Supporting Member

Yeah, the GC is pretty versatile. I've used them to get Marshall drive type sounds out of a cleanish amp successfully.

6. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I have both the DD and the GC - I think each of them has a Marshally thing going on.

7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

This is what I'm hoping for. That the Gain Changer with it's switches can be adjusted to give Marshall sounds?

8. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

9. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Couldn't find any clips of the GC on the Barber website.

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

With the toggle in the unLTD mode, you can definitely get some medium gain (classic rock Marshall tones) going on, especially if you add some mids with the eq toggle as well.

11. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

The gain changer is a combination of the "Ltd" and "Unlimited" pedals in one box. There are sound clips for those pedals. Read the description of the Gain Changer and you'll understand.

12. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Thanks! It seems the GC can do everything from Fender overdrive to Marshall distortion. And it seems the GC can do everything the Compact Direct Drive can do, and more?

13. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

It depends on the details you are listening for. If you are primarily listening for gain-range, then they both (dd and gc) do a similar thing. The EQ spectrum of the DD is different from any of the EQ spectrums offered by the GC. The texture of the drive is also different between the two, the GC has a little more clarity and the DD has more of the compression style you would hear from softer vacuum power tubes (el34, el84) when they are cranked up. Neither pedal can actually cop the sounds of the other, if they did we would stop making one or the other.

14. papersun

papersun Member

this is absolutely right.

15. Grimace

Grimace Supporting Member

CDD much better for that through a clean Fender, the feel is there. I think the CDD is the ultimate MIB for a fender, bedroom player too, no bass cut and smooth. I prefer the GC for my use, which is driving a marshally amp (Badger) at live volumes because of the clarity, I get the Marshall flavor from the amp. But if I were a fender player, I would go with the CDD or a Dirty Little Secret.

16. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Compact Direct Drive is what I would suggest with a Fender amp for Marshall tones plus the Low gain option is really good in that pedal as well.

17. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

This is close to my assessment too... but I will say the GC isn't really a "Marshall in a box" type pedal, the CDD is that pedal. I found the two of them to sound close enough for rock n roll and decided to keep the GC.