Gain Changer -> Half Gainer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ndtealmusic, May 23, 2015.

1. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

Is it worth the trade upward? I've been using the GC for almost a year and half now and am still in love with it, but have a few gain settings that I tend to sorta go back and forth between and can never settle on just one. I know both pedals are based on the LTD series, but for whatever reason I can't seem to bring myself to believe that the ½G would be as good as the GC. Dumb, huh?

2. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

If you love the GC don't sell it. Buy or borrow a 1/2 Gainer and if you love it enough to replace the other, then sell the GC, or sell the 1/2 Gainer if it doesn't match up to what you want

3. charless

charless Member

FWIW I love my 1/2 Gainer, super versatile, terrific od tones, from clean, edge of breakup to mid heavy. 2 channels of gain and adjustable mids, cant go wrong!

4. dawgtired

dawgtired Member

I bought the GC with the thought I would replace my 1/2 Gainer since I rarely use both sides.

While the GC was great, it just seemed not to have the same mojo the 1/2 Gainer did. I couldn't get the GC to sound exactly like my 1/2 Gainer. Maybe it's the lack of trim pots inside that makes all the difference.

The 1/2 Gainer is incredible. Find one - they are pretty affordable used... About the same cost as a used GC- and decide for yourself.

5. Hcklr

Hcklr Supporting Member

Yes I would get a Half Gainer but no way would I get rid of the Gain Changer. All of Barbers stuff sound like they're from the same "family" but they all sound different enough and have their own thing going on that you can easily justify having a bunch of them.

6. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

Well, first of all the 1/2 gets you two settings for in-song switching. Second, the mids knob really lets you tailor a sound that cuts just enough in the mix (although it can't be changed between the settings, which was the reason I sold mine.) The bass trimpot is just an added bonus for low-volume use.

7. richpjr

richpjr Member

I have both and go back and forth between which one is on my board at any time. The compact size of the GC is a big plus and it also has more dirt on tap. But I also agree the 1/2 Gainer has a bit more mojo and gives you the flexibility of two different settings. Great pedals. Barber makes good stuff.