Gain Changer settings question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GloryJones, Mar 28, 2015.

1. GloryJones

GloryJones Supporting Member

Considering pulling the trigger on a Barber GC. I'm looking for a low/medium gainer that will cut through in the mix. Tube screamer wasn't quite right.

I play a Strat.

What is the difference between the flat+flat mode and the LTD mode? From what I have researched, both offer flat EQ settings, with the flat+flat mode offering more to "sit better in the mix". Having no experience with this pedal, what does this mean? Any information is helpful. Thank you.

2. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

Flat+Fat mode is sort of like a TS-9 mid bump without the low end roll off you normally get with a tubescreamer.

The GC is a killer pedal, I'm sure you've heard that here before. But really, it's a sick pedal.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  3. annostyle

annostyle Member

Awesome pedal. Seriously. There's no way you will be disappointed.

4. GloryJones

TS type mid boost? Interesting. Didn't realize this.

Any other opinions? What about the LTD mode?

5. charless

charless Member

Hello, huge Barber fan here. I would say esp with a strat in the LTD v2 mode (toggle in center) will make the strat sound fuller and cut a bit better than the Fat/flat mode. Both are great, but recently I switched over to the v2 more mids LTD mode from the fat/flat and liked how my strat sounded in the band mix. The bump in the mids is not located where a tubescreamer is, its a bit lower, so it adds some fullness and helps cut at the same time.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  6. foodforthegods

foodforthegods Member

I always thought the v2 mode was the TS mode...

7. charless

charless Member

R
    I consider that a misconception, the mids are emphasized in a slighly lower frequency range , prob more around 500 khz tan the 750 for a TS style pedal

8. Great Shot Pilot

Great Shot Pilot Supporting Member

Best OD pedal I have ever played. Buy a good Rat to go with it and you can forget about dirt forever.

9. GloryJones

I already have a WFRRI, that I was actually hoping the GC could replace. The Rat is a little harsh for my current needs, even after playing with the filter knob.

So, seems like the LTD V2 setting would be better for a mid boost tone to cut through in a band mix.

10. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

This. Flat and Flat+fat are much more similar to each other than to the LTD center toggle mode.

11. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

I'm gonna have to agree more with the first of these two, having JUST a/b'd them on Friday. Granted, the gain toggle has to be in the unLTD position. So LTD v2 + unLTD was nearly identical to my newly acquired TS9, but with a bit more headroom and a touch more overall presence/clarity. Almost sits perfectly between the Klon sound and the TS9. The flat+fat is more scooped in nature, if you will, than the TS9 and more true to the guitar and amp. The tone knob sort of rocks on an axis respective to the predetermined mid center, which is certainly more pronounced in the v2 mode, and shifted toward the low end in flat+fat. The flat mode just adds a hint of presence with the tone knob centered, almost like a decent buffer with the gain low.

12. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

There is no "TS" mode, "TS circuits" or "TS" sound in the Gain Changer. The fattening effect of the v2 is a very broad thickening, not the type of EQ used in a TS. It's subjective in a sense, but if you put a TS side by side with a GC you won't hear the same sound. Here is a schematic for those that dive into schematics to see tone.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/Gain_Changer_service_schematic.pdf

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Abram4235 likes this.
  13. GloryJones

This is sort of more what I thought. I knew the GC had a nice mid presence, but didn't think it was like any sort of TS. Anyway, how would you describe the difference in the flat setting vs LTD v2? I get that the v2 setting is fatter. Just trying to understand better as well.

14. David B

Flat sounds is a verisimilitude of your bypass sound, with the addition of sustain and harmonics. The v2 sound is a wide or broad mid push, flat+fat is just a touch of v2 added to the flat sound, so you can thicken up the sound of single note while giving the illusion of no EQ change from bypass. The Bass-In-Place mod make the whole thing bigger and more open, with less of a compressed sound.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  15. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

I'm definitely not saying that it is the same thing as a TS. There were definite tonal differences, but enough similarity to kinda lose those differences if not approached analytically in an isolated context (read: not in a full mix). I only a/b'd the two briefly and wasn't trying to be overly critical. The GC has a better presence, better low-end retention, and is truer to your original signal. My thought is that I could easily leave the TS9 behind in favor of the GC and not miss the TS9, but not vice versa. If that makes any sense. I would also say that the TS9 has a weird sort of...I dunno...throatiness in the upper mids that the GC does not have. Not necessarily a good or bad thing. Just something I wasn't used to. But for what it's worth, the TS9 adequately covers that portion of the GC that I always wanted to use, but didn't in favor of the lower gain v2 settings.

16. David B

No problem there. I add posts about TS comparisons so people who read the thread will know what to expect if they get a Barber pedal. Some people think "Oh good another TS", and some think "Oh gawd, another TS". The next thing you know I'm on the phone having a conversation about "where is the TS sound you promised". It's easier to just post my opinion of the sound our pedals make and the schematic for pedals I have, so players have a better chance at knowing what to expect.

ocripes likes this.
  17. bluflames

bluflames Member

David,

Thank you for the schematic - I can't imagine there are too many professional pedal builders who are so open.

What I love is that people like yourself and Paul Cochrane get such great results using common as dirt components... Of course that doesn't mean low quality, by any means. It just kind of confirms in my mind the importance of circuit design over voodoo component selection.

18. David B

There are some neato components that I like and use (Elna silk caps). But the circuit would sound pretty close to the same with other parts from Mouser, although another layout more than likely changes the game.

19. GloryJones

David,

I was hoping you would chime in! Thank you for the clarification. This is exactly what I was looking for.

20. GloryJones

This is how I felt with the Rat and an 808...could cover more ground with the Rat, IMO. But it seems like the GC could cover even more ground (less bass cut, more "transparency"). I'm sold.