Gain/Distortion Pedals to use with Dr. z

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by therigaletto, Mar 8, 2006.

1. therigaletto

therigaletto Member

Im having trouble deciding if I want a Dr. Z because I play alot of modern rock. Any pedals I could run in front of a maz to give it the hard rock sound?

2. myles111

myles111 Member

3. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Tim worked great with the 66 and the MAZ38.

4. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Even though Myles takes some heat around here sometimes.........go with him on this one. The Zendrive is the real deal.
    FWIW,
    Rick

5. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

I've used a Timmy, Zendrive, Maxon SD9, Crunchbox and others and they have all sounded great thru my Z. There are some great threads on this very subject over on the Z Forum (ooops, I mentioned the Z Forum here - I'm such a pimp :D )

My band does everything from country to hard rock and my Mazerati sounds great on all of it.

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

my TS808 Re-issue has worked great with the Ghia and Maz! I wouldn't recommend Z's for modern rock unless your tone is more on the clearer-gain side, IMHO. Just something about the gain response that didn't do it for me. "Modern Rock" is very broad though...

7. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

[​IMG]
    YES!!!!!!!!!:BEER

8. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

If you are going for a modern high gain sound with a Z like the Route 66 or Carmen Ghia try a Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor pedal. It has a low and high gain setting and an EQ knob that produces some really nice slightly scooped tones.

9. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I have had Jato's Zendrive for over a week, and I used to own one. We both agree the Zendrive works great with the Maz JR. I use it for a lower gain tone, but I will rock out for sure. I have found that the Zen works Killer with EL84 Vox like amps and Alnico Blues from Weber or Celestion.

My Cheap arse Bad Monkey will do Hard Rock with the Maz as well. Lust not as rich sounding....

10. kaseri

kaseri Member

You may want to consider a 6545 or an SRZ-65 for the style of music you play. The 6545 can easily get the tones your after & you may save some $ in the long run by not having to buy different distortion pedals to get the sound you are looking for.

11. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

I really like the Xotic BB preamp with my Maz38. I recently tried out a Diamond Fireburst and was blown away with how huge it sounded. Hard rock this pedal does without breaking a sweat.

12. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    I PLAYED A ROUTE 66 W/ A H&K TUBE factor and was amazed

Dr. Z's seem to dig pedals

13. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

The Tim was my fave box with the MAZ Sr. Reverb.

14. Gribs

Gribs Member

I like the SIB Varidrive with my Maz 18 (2x10). It sounds great and preserves the "bo-tiqueness" (is that a word?) of my setup. The Foxrox Zimm also kicks butt, as does the Subdecay Stupid box (I love my lil' yellow stupid box). Finally, for an inexpensive injection of nonsymmetric clipping firebreathing insanity, try the Rocktron Zombie.

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I don't use many modern tones (where modern = high gain, anyway), but I get a lot of great sounds with my 18 watt Z (Carmen Ghia) with a Hotcake Bluesberry (used to have a standard model, it's great, too) and the now-out-of-production Hellbilly (Fuzz Face crossed with a Rangmeaster in a hybrid germanium-silicon transistor boost/fuzz pedal) and Hellbaby (op-amp based booster with chunky gain that bumps up the mids) from ToneFactor/Bob McBroom. I'd say you really can't go wrong with most any nice boost pedal, my Z really likes it when you hit it a little harder in the front end.

16. Unburst

Unburst Member

Gotta love this place, ask about Modern hard rock sounds and you get the same suggestions you'd get if you asked for classic rock or blues!
    LOL!!

Not cheap but check out the EMMA ReezaFratzitz and the DNA Gainfxxer.
    That will get you much closer to the heavy stuff than a Tim/Zen/TS etc...

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Hey, at least I prefaced it... :) Emma makes nice stuff, I love the discumbobulator.

18. Unburst

Unburst Member

That you did, Steve.

I've never had a Zen but from what I've heard it's voiced a long way from modern rock, the Tim I have had and that is a fine pedal but def. not for that application.