Gainster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lucky7, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior Member

Anyone else as nuts about the Clark/Barber Gainster as I am? I have three of them set up in a "small medium large" OD chain.....I like to think of it as.....87/89/93 octane......:dude

2. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

The only pedal I have right now is my Gainster prototype (hand built by David Barber in a dinged up Direct Drive case complete with masking tape labeling) from when Barber and Clark first started working on the project. It sounds fantastic. I was a beta tester and talked them into letting me hang onto it.

Dig it...

[​IMG]

3. middlepickup

middlepickup Member

Gainster is my #1 OD on my board now. It kicked off Zendrive (sold). Red Snapper is my backup.

4. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior Member

Pretty darn cool BFC. I like the masking tape too!!

I'm with ya Middlepickup about the Zendrive. I bought one a year or so back and got rid of it pretty quick.

5. Wooley

Wooley Member

Phenomenal pedal, remains my low-gain driver of choice despite several great alternatives.
    Took it for a drive a few days ago with a cranked 25 watt amp, man what a thing of beauty. Currently the first stage in my four-stage gain section.

6. hardys

hardys Member

How does the Gainster compare to the Barber Silver LTD?

7. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

8. middlepickup

middlepickup Member

hardys
    I loved my LTD, until I got a Zendrive. Then the Gainster knocked them all off my board. They are all good pedals. Gainster just works best with my EL 84 amps.

9. mockoman

mockoman Member

MrMunky-that sure is a cool version of Paperback Writer!

10. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

I also really dig the Clark-Gainster. I switch overdrives quire a bit, usually selling the one I had been using to buy another one for the ever revolving overdrive pedal slot on my board. The Gainster is the only one I haven't sold. I only keep one overdrive on my board at a time and although right now it a BJF EGD, I aint sellin' the Gainster.

Page of Cups likes this.
  11. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I had to bump this thread today. I just put my Gainster back on my main board along with my Eternity to compare the two. I usually keep it on a small board with just a Barb EQ and Verbzilla to use with my Clark Beaufort.
    I cannot believe how close the Gainster and the Eternity can sound. I just had them side by side and on many settings I could go back and forth between the two and be very, very close.

The E edges the Gainster a little on sustain, but man I didn't realize they could sound so similar. The E also has more gain on tap and can do some cool things with the treble boost, but the Gainster tone knob is pretty responsive too.

Now, this was all at a house level volume, so I will have to do the same thing at our next rehearsal, but I am really surprised. I have been really digging the Eternity and had assigned the Gainster to the small board not to be used with my main gigging amps. I am going to have to rethink things and do a major shootout when my lil' China Cot50 and Blues Devil get here next week.

The Eternity into the Gainster was pretty cool too.

Anyone else have both and do a comparison?

12. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Blues Devil VS Eternity..... well, the eternity got most of the great sounds the BD can make, but the BD could not come close to getting as many great tones the E has.

13. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Derek, thanks for the input.
    You're one of the reasons I ordered my Sybil. It should be here by Monday, I can't wait to hear it!

14. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/EternRic.mp3

15. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

The Sybil has become my desert island pedal. Can do Si and Ge fuzz tones as well as overdrive tones with the volume on the guitar rolled off. You can Eq it with the tone controls to get a plexi-like clean tone with the vol. rolled back (very much like the COT I had but the COT is a little quieter). With the series/parallel switch down it can get some Muff type sounds!!!

As far as overdrive pedals the eternity stands out as my favorite all time OD. I can get a somewhat close with my ZIM proto, and my Blue Boy deluxe but the E has a certain character in the way it blends in with your sound. I REALLY want to get one of the DELUXE 2 in 1 pedals sean is selling on Ebay but those bastards are selling for more than a cot and eternity separate :eek: DAMN!!!

16. andtrea

andtrea Member

How much gain has the Gainster?
    Could I reach Neil Young's territories with my Bassman 59 set almost clean?
    I don't mean Hey Hey My My superfuzzyness, but tracks like Coughs Up The Bucks or Rockin' in The Free World rhythm part...

17. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

I recently got the handwired Clark Version. AMAZING pedal. Adds gain to the signal without messing with the base tone that much. Very touch sensitive, too. Sure it deserves to be discussed more here...

18. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

The pedal doesn't have much gain. I'd call it low/med gain OD (but closer to low). It sort of gives you "more" of your existing tone, adding a little character. So, if your amp gets you close, then it can help a little.

19. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I have a handwired Gainster - the big green one made by Mike Clark. I've had it for several years now. I assume it doesn't sound very different from the Barber one. I'm running it through a Bruno Cowtipper 22 (boutique Deluxe Reverb), and the Gainster sounds more "like a cranked amp" than any other pedal I've ever tried through any amp. Through the Bruno I like it better than my OCD, Timmy, Honey Bee, or FD2. Through the Bruno, the Gainster makes a surprisingly plexi-like sound (considering it's modeled on a cranked tweed Deluxe). In fact I A/B'd the Gainster > Bruno with my cranked Germino Club 40 and the sounds were strikingly similar. Single coils and humbuckers sound equally amazing through the Gainster > Bruno. Ironically, I didn't like the Gainster quite as much through a Victoria Bassman or Germino Blub 40, so it's mostly been sitting on my shelf for 3 years. But holy mother of dog, the Gainster is astounding through the Bruno. It's the first OD pedal/amp combo I've ever really loved.

20. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

No Eternity but the Gainster into a Les Lius is surprisingly good.

I do love the Gainster all by itself though the most.