Gallien-Krueger Question / Help Please

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by guitarman1956, Mar 17, 2008.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

My bass player uses a Gallien-Krueger. He noticed a pop when he turned it off at the last gig. He just got a new speaker cabinet and wanted to try it out. He hooked up his head and heard another pop. But, he played a while with no noise, but when he went to turn it off, he heard popping as the sound/volume drained and saw a spark. He also smelled smoke.
    >
    I've got this amp apart. I've only noticed one visual sign that something is wrong. Its a small black bar, bout the size of a small domino piece. Its
    screwed to a large grill/radiator looking thing. Looks to be something to
    disperse heat. There's a fan mounted on top of that. Back to the small black bar: Its also affixed to this large grill with white epoxy? or something
    like that. Anyway, its cracked and a piece has come off of the middle of it.
    >
    > What is this? And, could this be the problem?
    >
    > Thanks

2. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

What model GK?

Here's my Seymour Duncan amp- you'll notice 4 things attached by 3 wires apiece- these things?

[​IMG]

4. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

I fried too many GK's in my life, I wont touch them. They seem to do this when played at max for a period of time...did it ever cut out inexplicably, then start up again?

Usually when they do this, they are beyond fixing at a reasonable price.

5. PeeWee

PeeWee Member

The only problem I've ever had with my 800RB is with the input jack and that seems to happen quite often to this particular model. Your bassman's issue sounds like the heat sink has cracked.

Get in touch with Joe Rinaolo at Invisible Sound Studios in Baltimore. He knows these amps inside/out and can diagnose the problem pronto. Really reasonable rates and quick turn around time to boot, plus he's a very cool dude.

http://www.invisiblesoundstudios.com/

6. J-75

J-75 Member

Output power transistors?