Gambale Bends Notes Beautifully w/Great Sustain & Vibrato (he doesnt just sweep pick)

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Someone posted he had a Santana influence...this is very Santana-ish.
Totally ...
The whole CD he plays like an advanced Santana ...
& he kind of admits that's the kind of vibe he was going for ... Flora Purim/Santana/Aeito sound...
Mixed in with a little A. Gilberto/Jobim colorings ...

Last edited:

tribalfusion

Such a great musician even though I am not a huge fan of some of his projects and directions. Still, even with as much acclaim as he has, he is amazingly under appreciated.

I really like his playing live with Vital Information as well as on Inside Out by Chick Corea and Show Me What You Can Do in trio with Steve Smith.

DøøG

Maybe a little. However, and I don't know if he would cop to it, but I hear a little Robben Ford in his blues playing. There is a track names "Tardis" on his first solo CD and he totally cops RF on it. Same feel and lines. Clearly has listened to him and assimilated some. I always detect some of that articulation when he is playing bluesy.

Could be coming from some common influence I suppose, but it ain't Santana.....
Buzzy Feiten, lol.....

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
He is an extremely nice person ... went to see him play at Kumbwa in SC once on an off night. A great band put together by a Dennis Chambers type of drummer name of Larry Bright. (Gary Gringer on bass, Tom Coaster on keys ....)

Since there were only about 5 people in the audience... we got to hang out with Frank on some long breaks ... had a blast talking to him about the biz and guitar playing. Only he gave me a hard time because when he found out I was half Scilian, he started talking to me in Italian and I didn't understand a word he said ... lol
I saw him with a slightly different line up at a Larry Bright clinic. Everyone was there for Frank though.

Rick Lee

I saw him at NAMM this year with Alain Caron and Damien Schmitt. I went to that event to see Greg Howe's band and had no idea what I was walking into. First was Jeff Berlin and Danny Gottlieb. Then Frank Gambale's band, which was just mind-blowing. I still scratch my head and wonder how I missed getting into his stuff all these years. And then Maragold took the stage. Just an amazing night.

2020jan08

Silver Supporting Member
Great playing, but a little too 80s-style distortion and "fusion" in feel for my liking.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Great playing, but a little too 80s-style distortion and "fusion" in feel for my liking.
It's funny ... My ears don't associate his playing with any 80's style distortion or fusion style ...
They just hear great music being made ... :)

DGDGBD

to the op..tasteful playing in that video for sure...but one of the beauties of little wing to me is the juxtaposition between the clean intro/verses/chorus with the really subdued vocals....then the outro comes in dripping with effects. Just comes in and kicks you're ass.
sounds a little to......non dynamic? might be the right term?....for me.

edit: just relistined to the OG track...hhmmm maybe no effects besides maybe a leslie, but it sounds different. The feeling changes-I can't describe it technically
Actually what you hear as effects is actually several layered tracks at once. It gives it a lush beautiful sound. I am with you on this (not to take away from the talent and skill of FG's playing) - you miss the true beauty and essence of the song when the lyrics are omitted.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Actually what you hear as effects is actually several layered tracks at once. It gives it a lush beautiful sound. I am with you on this (not to take away from the talent and skill of FG's playing) - you miss the true beauty and essence of the song when the lyrics are omitted.
Maybe in a way ...
but it's truly proof that a good melody can stand up all by itself ...
Even if I had never heard this melody before ... still would have really loved this ...!!

Trending Topics