GarageBand drum loop Q

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by NickZ, Feb 14, 2009.

1. NickZ

NickZ Member

I am using Garageband that came with iLife 09 and have the rhythm jam pack - my question is:
    Are there not other drum rhythms for a 12/8 than the couple of ones supplied? Is there an upgrade I could purchase?
    Also I was going to program my own drum patterns and among the individual drum sounds in the loop section - there is no snare. I searched for it in garageband and even in spotlight (desperately trying ...) and there is not a single snare. 2 bass drums - a few cymbals and hi hats and that's about it.
    Thanks for any help.

2. JMulhollan

JMulhollan Member

You can try and get some more loops for Garageband and see if you can get what your looking for. I have all my loops that i got with my logic available in my Garageband, though I rarely use it. If your talking like 12/8 time signature, it's going to be rare to find pre-made stuff for it since it is a fairly uncommon timing.

I know it's not too much help but I tried haha. Hope it helped at least a little bit

3. getbent

getbent Member

there are tons of loops for garageband available commercially.

I love the big fish audio stuff.

4. Orren

Orren Member

As you've found, nearly all drum loops are 4/4. There is a decent collection of 3/4, but after that, it gets to be pretty scant. Sorry!

Orren

5. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

In the last two weeks I've put together two songs that are in 12/8, and I've found what you have found... it's difficult to find loops in that time signature. I'm not sure why since it is really 4/4 with triplets.

And using a loop in 3/4 or 6/8 doesn't work. It doesn't sync up in the timeline. And it has a different feel.

I ended up creating my own loops and it sounds great. Taking the time to do that is a good learning experience anyway.

Good luck.

Oh, one thing you might try... take an eighth note pattern and add "groove" to it using your software (I work in Ableton Live. I set groove to 1/8 and adjust the groove parameter), turning it into a triplet feel with the middle triplet missing. It then fits the 12/8 feel.

6. chickenbackside

chickenbackside Member

Stylus RMX is the one you should buy.

You can turn any loop into any time signature you want. On top of RMX's own loops (overused by now in every TV ad and action movie score), it also supports a myriad of loop formats.