Garageband & iMic Questions (Long)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Stubee, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Stubee

Stubee Member

Doing my annual winter recording stuff. IBook G4 (V 10.3.9, 1.07 Ghz, 768 MB SDRAM) with an iMic w. Garageband V. 1.1.0 (26). Having my typical "freeze up" during recording, keep fiddling with settings to try to keep it running with my minimal processor speed. I'm somewhat familiar with Garageband preference settings. A few questions:

1) I turn off all programs. Will turning off Airport also help?
    2) I have a Lacie 160 Gb hard drive. I tried running Garageband on that but it didn't seem to help. Should it?
    3) Last night it "froze" again during recording. I fiddled with it, got it to play again, could get input signal in via iMic but no output with headphones into iMic. Yep, all audio input & output selections were OK. I could get sound output via the headphone jack in my iBook (after changing output setting), but not thru the iMic. Turned Garageband off/on, no help. Tried the Lacie, no help. Turned the computer off and today got output thru the iMic again. Ideas?
    4) I often find my "Saved Instruments" have turned off effects when recalled, especially AU stuff like Matrix Reverb, Delay. Forces me to put long lables on instruments just to remember what the heck I had in 'em. Ideas?
    4) I fiddle with voices to select fewest, even turn off amp sim and other stuff in tracks while recording, still freezes on me. Sometimes freezes on track two or three, sometimes later. No rhyme or reason I can see. Other ideas?
    5) Was thinking of getting a better interface, but after looking into it concluded I'll compound my problems as newer ones require even greater processor speed. Correct?

I'm probably stretching the iBook G4 beyond it's limits. Any help with any question appreciated.

2. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

More RAM and a faster HD will help alot

3. JPF

JPF Member

I use Garageband with my G4 Powerbook (1.67GHz, 2GB Ram running Leopard), and have no problems at all. As Scott suggests, you might want to increase your RAM by adding a 1GB board in the second slot, or else swop out what you have far a pair of 1GB boards. Have you tried an "archive & install" of a fresh Tiger o/s, instead of Panther? Just a thought, though you'd want to check and make sure your processor speed is sufficient for Tiger/10.4. If it is, bump up your RAM and you should be in business.

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

The external drive you have should be a lot better for recording. Your internal HD is 5400rpm while the LaCie is likely 7200rpm. Also check the buffer size in your prefs. IIRC correctly, all it has is something more midi tracks, or more audio tracks. As well, I'd consider getting a copy of iLife 05 and upgrade to GB 2, then do all of the updates. It's been awhile, but it seems like GB 2 was much more stable. I know a guy with an iBook similar to yours that routinely is able to record 20-30 tracks with NO midi. Add midi tracks, and you start eating up CPU fast.

And all of this is in addition to more RAM. Ram = GOOD!

5. in a little row

in a little row Member

Previous posters have good advice, however, I run a very similar set up (imic, ibook g4, 1gig ram, tiger), never had your issues....i think your setup is more than adequate, it really sounds like a software issue (buffer size id check first), you could have a driver issue (upgrade/reinstall OSx or just GB), but unless your running a ton of tracks, i dont know why youd be having such problems...i remember having to go to OSX preferences, sound, and adjust audio in and out, then verify preferences in GB to make sure its imic for both in and out
    are you have issues with latency in with the monitor function? Does it only freeze during recording, or during play back too??

j

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

Another thought is how much free space do you have on those drives? If they are packed pretty full, you may not have enough free space.

7. Stubee

Stubee Member

Thanks for all guys.

The external drive has 80% free space, the computer drive 50%+ (though not + much). The iBook drive is only 40 Gb, shoulda got a bigger one when I bought it.

It freezes, I think, only when recording, but then goes "dead": the track keeps running, with no input or output. Then I've got to toggle around to get the sound back (with preferences, etc.).

I check the buffer size but it freezes regardless of which one I've got selected, large or small. I also play with number of voices or instruments and about everything else I can think of. Cannot seem to isolate the problem or just "why" it chooses to freeze. I get a window pop-up that says "processor speed to slow" or "disk to slow" or something like that when it happens.

I started turning off about all effects when I record, on the new track + the old tracks, then adding them during playback. I don't like playing in w/o Amp Sim because I miss the dynamics with pick attack & stuff that may occur with those settings.

Not sure my processor speed is OK for anything beyond my version of Tiger but will check. Will also check into getting a new version of iLife with the GB 2, plus some more RAM, if that would work with my G4. Could spring for a new Mac, but this is the only issue with ours, kinda hate to do it for my one CD per year.

I did crash this Mac and reboot in the past year from a disk, but GB did it before and after that.

Maybe it's just my method of recording, but I sure crash it a lot.

Much obliged.