• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

GarageBand-like app for PC?

SideBMusic

As part of my curriculum at school I teach some song construction with GarageBand. Is there a comparable application for PC? Some of my students have PC's at home. Audacity comes to mind, but I have never liked it myself (I'm a Logic Pro user)... not very intuitive and it lacks song loops to work with (we use GarageBand in the classroom so students can create music without knowing how to play an instrument.)

WoodenDuckMaker

Microsoft Songsmith
Only kidding.

I was needing to ask the same question as you. I ended up just purchasing a mid 2012 11" Macbook Air in very nice condition off of Craigslist for $300, just for Garage Band, and it's worth every penny, as it's also a very good travel laptop. I've used Fruity Loops, and other programs, but none of the programs on PC are as intuitive, easy to use, yet as capable, as Garage Band. Plus I really wanted to have integration with my iPhone/iPad Garage Band. If I am away from home, and left my laptop behind, but inspiration strikes, I can get down ideas on my iphones garage band, then continue/transfer it to my macbooks garage band.

SideBMusic

Microsoft Songsmith
Only kidding.

I was needing to ask the same question as you. I ended up just purchasing a mid 2012 11" Macbook Air in very nice condition off of Craigslist for $300, just for Garage Band, and it's worth every penny, as it's also a very good travel laptop. I've used Fruity Loops, and other programs, but none of the programs on PC are as intuitive, easy to use, yet as capable, as Garage Band. Plus I really wanted to have integration with my iPhone/iPad Garage Band. If I am away from home, and left my laptop behind, but inspiration strikes, I can get down ideas on my iphones garage band, then continue/transfer it to my macbooks garage band.
:roll :facepalm LOL!

My situation/process is similar. I am looking for something my PC-user students can use at home.

makerdp

I recommend ACID. Easy to work with loops, cheap versions available, very mature in its product-development life-cycle.

When Sony owned it they had discounted "educational versions" which I think students qualified for as well as schools and teachers. Don't know about the new owners of ACID though.

I used it to make a one-hour narration/sound-track for an interactive walk-through Easter experience. It was very easy to use and I even used a lot of its bundled loops for quite a bit of the background music. It is also made it easy to go back in and redo parts as-needed. Soundtrack lasted about 10-years with tweaks/additions made each year along the way.

Then there is also the online Soundation.com A lot of kids at the middle-school where I work seem to like it, but it's way more limited than anything else mentioned here, but it is free to use online.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom