Garageband Newb

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wamba, May 7, 2016.

1. wamba

wamba Member

Greetings,

I'm an old analog/tube kinda guy. However, Over the last several months I have found myself in possession of a MacBook Air and a Focusrite Scarlet Studio.

I want to start writing and record material but I find Garageband a little overwhelming. I'm still recovering for a recent purchase of a POD HD500.

So, here's my question. Are there any recommended resources? Youtube series maybe or Garageband for Dummies. You know, something that will lay out the basics step by step.

Oh and I'm mainly a guitar and bass player. Should I purchase a keyboard to use for the "built in instruments or just use the laptop keyboard?

Thank you in advance.

2. 335guy

335guy Member

3. lschwart

lschwart Member

The tutorial on lynda.com is terrific. You can pay to subscribe or often you can get free access through your local library.

Louis

4. lkft

lkft Member

First step is to be sure the drivers for your Scarlet and Macbook are up to date and able to recognize each other and you can plug into the Scarlet and get a signal to Garageband. If you can do all that then you're just a click away from recording and the tutorials that are linked above will be a great help. This first step is critical though and you should get that squared away first so do that and report back.