GarageBand plugin to correct USB audio input device latency?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by nashvillesteve, Oct 12, 2006.

1. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

So, er, I'm worried about doing multi-guitar arrangements one part at a time because my USB mic interface has a latency, so if I'm playing a second track over a first track, I'm playing in time with what I hear in the headphones, but my 2nd track will be slightly behind the 1st because of the latency "delay" of my input device (stereo microphone).

Any ideas?

2. retro

retro Member

3. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I don't have GarageBand 2, which might be part of the problem (I also am still running Panther... will probably wait until OS X 10.5 is released to upgrade. The timeline grid in GB doesn't let you fine tune placement, it has to fit on one of the "ticks," which are too far apart to adjust for a latency delay (less than a second).

4. clayville

clayville Member

Wait...are you using a USB mike? Or a USB audio interface/device with a mike plugged in?

(not sure why that could matter, but it might...)

And: where are you monitoring from? The headphone jack of the computer? Or somewhere else?

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

It's a USB audio interface originally made by Griffin Technology (pretty common and inexpensive) that has been modified by Sound Professionals to have two gooseneck mics hardwired into it. It still has the mic input 1/8" jack, which when used will bypass the mounted mics and go to whatever you have plugged in. It does have an audio out...

Usually I use the computer audio to monitor from, I think I have tried the USB audio, but setting it as the input and output device I seem to remember caused a problem of some sort... not sure, I can try that again. Do you think that would help with the latency time?

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

GB1 vs GB2 has really nothing to do with latency problems. Though GB2 is much better than GB1 was. I don't think the iMic has any "direct monitoring" feature, which is found on more expensive interfaces. That is how i eliminate latency. There is no plugin that i know of that will do that for you. Are you micing an amp? or an acoustic guitar? Either way, one thing you might try, is to turn OFF monitoring in GB, and pull one ear off the headset so you hear yourself live in one ear, and the recorded stuff in the other. It won't be as much fun, but it should solve the latency. Also, record you tracks dry, and add the GB effects afterwards, as they can add a lot of latency while recording.
    I record dry, and use the direct monitoring function on my Tascam US-122, and I get no latency at all, and never have. If you really want to record into the future, a better interface than the iMic would be a great investment imho. Also, if you are trying to use the GB amp sims, they also can result in latency. The more you tax the CPU while recording, the more latency you are likely to experience. I personally don't use the guitar amps in GB or Logic. Mainly for that reason, but also because I think I get a better sound with a mic on my amp, and lately, using my Vox ToneLab instead. I do use the amp sims for bass, but I put them on after I record the track. Turning OFF monitoring in GB will cancel the latency, but if the iMic doesn't have direct monitoring, you won't hear yourself in the headset.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think the iMic *should* work as the audio input and output, but that might not eliminate the latency.

Another thing is that my stoopid PowerBook, while I love it, only recognizes 512 of the 1024MB of RAM I have installed (I need Apple to fix this for me/give me a macbook pro replacement for all the things that have gone bad/wrong on my powerbook)....

I have read that latency is common to pretty much all USB interfaces because of the nature of USB connections.... I have firewire 800 (which Apple seems to have "left off" the new macbooks and macbook pros)...

The one earphone on/ one earphone off idea is a good one. Basically, if I don't use the interface/computer to monitor the live track, I won't experience any latency... and you're right about the amp sims and latency, I have heard that when messing around with them (kind of uninspiring). This is mainly for recording classical guitar arrangements that I have been working on.

8. retro

retro Member

Okay at first I did understand but after reading again I thought you meant what you recorded was simply off tempo.

Duh...

The best thing I can think of is trying the buffer settings in your audio/midi pane in preferences if you haven't already to get the latency as low as possible and Scott's suggestions for dealing with inherant latency.

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

Hey retro! How's it going?