Garnet amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wichita, Aug 8, 2005.

1. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Has anyone heard one of these things?
    Chris Layton, Double Trouble's old drummer is playing with a Canadian guy named Grady.
    Grady is using a Garnet pre-amp (looks like a reverb unit) into a twin reverb and it is crushing. Sounds like a huge tube driven fuzz face.

Any experienced members here?

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

It's a company from Canada that hasn't beeen in business for years last I knew. The owner still lives in Canada somwhere and works with amps. The guys from BTO used to use Garnets.

My old drummer had a Garnet Revolution III. It was a 4x10 combo wwith 2 6L6's. Pretty cool sounding amp.

3. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Just found this in a craigslist posting of somebody was trying to sell one for $500:

This is a 1971 Garnet Pro 60 watt amplifier head.

I determined the date by the brass Garnet logo and date codes of some of the components. The only modification has been the addition of a 3 prong plug. Gar Gillies (the maker) autographed the back, which he does when someone brings one of his amps in to be checked out in his shop in Winnipeg. This amp is in fine running shape and needs nothing.

Garnet amps have a bit of cult following, and are worth hearing (i've heard them called the canadian fender). The pro, a smaller version of the 120 watt BTO, is one of the most sought after models. Along with Traynors, they were THE amps of canadian bands (most famously the Guess Who. The "american woman" tone is Garnet). Gar is still making custom amps today. Check out this website for all the info you need: http://www.garnetamps.com

I love these amps. I have three; this is one of my two Pros (actually the better of the two as the other one needs a cap). I am selling this one because I need the money. Cosmetically it is in great shape, and I just had it checked out by a local tech who said the components were all good and noted how nice sounding it was. He also suggested some modifications for the fuzz circuit I can pass along if you like. There are also some common mods on the net (involving changing the pot values). The mods are usually done so the fuzz can be used at lower volumes.

I would modify it if I were to keep the amp because it's so loud. It was made to be played at stadium volumes, and I don't have a stadium lying around.

6CA7 (Canadian for EL34) power tubes, 2 12AX7 preamp tubes. Trem tube is a 6AU6 and the Stinger tube is a 6an8. There is also a 6sn7 phase inverter. Hammond transformers. Runs at 4 ohms.

Controls are volume (pull bright), bass and treble (pull for different tone values), tremolo depth and speed, and fuzz level and color.

How does it sound? It's in the vintage Fender/ Marshall pre master volume family, but not a clone (I do have a Garnet Marshall clone as well). Closer to a fender blackface. Very vintage voicing. Also very loud. It has lots of versatility, since you can pull the knobs out and get a real nice classic crunch that makes me think of The Who. If you want an amp with its own voice to compete with all the overpriced Marshalls, Fenders, boutique amps out there, consider this. The proto-boutique, if you will.

One thing that strikes me is how responsive this amp is to touch, it has that sensitivity and clarity everyone is looking for these days. Also works well with boost pedals (I use a Peavey hotfoot 2 with it and it sounds great). It also runs very clean.

See people raving about the Garnet Pro at: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Garnet/Pro-01.html

4. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

5. Cokemachine

Cokemachine Member

Gordie Johnson has been a longtime user of the Garnet Herzog. His rig consists of a Herzog into an Ampeg SVT. Loud does not even begin to describe his sound! I do know that Gordie has been using some smaller setups while playing smaller venues with Grady. Nonetheless, Gordie's sound with Grady is a lot rawer and is very reminiscent of his earlier work with Big Sugar (Gordie Johnson's previous band).

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

A Herzog is basically a Fender Champ into a load resistor with a pot across it for level control.

7. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

witchita,

As Cokemachine states, Gordie is using a Herzog as the preamp you saw. I caught Grady a couple of months ago at the Continental Club in Austin and he had a couple of them in rotation into a Super Twin Reverb.

The Herzog was featured heavily as the lead guitar sound on the Guess Who's "American Woman" and other tunes by them.

Here's their webpage:
    Grady's website...

cheers,
    Sean

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Not the sound that works for me..but boy...sure works for him. Cool stuff! Thanks for the link.

9. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Leon, If you haven't heard any Big Sugar pick up the first album, 500lbs.

I saw Big Sugar on accident open for Chris Duarte like 7 years ago. Gordie Johnson was so cool to watch. He played through a jtm45 half stack and a p90 Black beauty. The amp was on 10 all night and he rocked it old school. I was stuffing napkins in my ears it was so loud.

10. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I saw Grady at Stubbs. It was loud as hell and probably the heaviest guitar tone I've ever heard live.

That tone is cool, but it got annoying to hear that same tone on every song for over an hour.

I know that Grady plays at Continental Club all the time. I wonder what rig he plays there (since it's so small).

11. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

The three loudest things I have ever heard in my life are all Big Sugar concerts.:dude

12. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Big Sugar were sponsored by Hugo Boss. Those guys were pimped out. Cool as ****.

taco

13. myles111

myles111 Member

My boss has a lot of these (Garnett) in all models. Many of them are shown in The Tube Amp Book in the latest hard cover revision. They are great amps.

14. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

It sounded like a 200 pound fuzz face to me. Very nice tone for heavy stuff.

I saw them at Continental club and they were louder than hell. Louder than I used to play, and even louder then Eric used to play.
    Super Twin, and that Garnet thing and nothing else. Very big sound.

15. I've got one. A Garnet BTO (Big Time Operator), the top of the line Garnet. I live in Winnipeg, the home of Garnet. Mine was restored and signed by Gar Gillies. Killer tones and built like a tank. Not for the weak of heart, mind you...it is loud as sin.

16. Robboman

Robboman Member

I've got a Sessionman 212 combo. (el34 60w).

I can vouch for the cult following. Shhh, don't tell anyone, it's kind of a Canadian secret. Garnets from the 70s were very well designed and built. Great circuits, PTP wired, huge trannies... a lot like today's boutique stuff. You can still find nice ones selling for a few hundred bucks, but mainly in Canada, particularly Winnipeg. Prices are going up on EBay, though (the cult shops there), so you have to find them in the local classifieds, etc.

My only complaints are that most all were SState rectified and the stock speakers in the combos and cabs were shiite tinny Marsland ceramics. If you have or come across any Garnet combo and are not entirely impressed with the tone, try different speaker(s). Made a HUGE difference on my mine.

17. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

Another Garnet to check out is their Li'l Rock. I wish I hadn't sold mine when I moved. It's a little big for a 1X12 combo, but it's a fantastic sounding rock amp - great break up at easy volume, and always tracked to tape beautifully.

18. beerlover56

beerlover56 Member

I think I know what your friends "pre-amp" was. It is called a "Herzog". It was a tube driven overdrive unit that we made in the Garnett store/factory in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It still can put any modern buzz box to shame. If you don't believe me...listen to "American Woman", and "No Time" by the Guess Who-A Winnipeg Band by the way.

If your friend still has it KEEP IT-It's worth a fortune! Would be worth around $800.00 now.

The Garnett Pro amp used two 6CA7's in it's output stage and could deliver a max of 90 watts-not 60 as claimed. It's big brother was the Garnett BTO , No relation to the band (which was founded by Randy Bachman of the guess Who) . This monster could deliver up to 150 watts.

I KNOW! I built them!
    :band

19. foomoola

foomoola Member

Hey Wichita ,

I have a Super 200 PRO and a BTO .... If you have a problem with constipation these will cure it !!!! Wichita I sent you a pm regarding these amps ....Thanks ...D.P.:BEER

20. LustandFury

LustandFury Member

Beerlover you built 'em! Do tell please!!!