• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Garnet G45tr Revolution 1 Help

JWingman

Hi guys I need some Garnet expert help.

I just purchased an old Russell (Garnet) G45tr guitar amp for almost nothing. I brought to an amp tech and he had it going but it starting losing power. He determined it was the output transformer. We have searched for the schematics and found some but capitance and some things did not match up on the power schematic.
Can anyone offer any help on this model.

bamboo633

Hey, cool amp. They were made a couple hours from my home. There are a bunch of Garnet schematics here, maybe you can find the correct one.

axpro

Hey Wingman.

I wish you some good luck, but I believe that Gar tweaked his designs and had multiple revisions, much like Traynor amps (Us damn Canadians... ALWAYS STRIVING FOR PERFECTION! lol) Unfortunately, unlike Traynor amps, the Garnet amp variations aren't always well documented. AND since Traynors and Garnets were usually considered "Poor Man's Marshalls/Fenders" You ended up with a lot of mods and sometimes complete rebuilds even early on. I've had a few traynors from the 70's that were modded sometime around when they were new, to make them closer to Marshall Plexis...

SO, in short, not matching the schematics you find is pretty common. ESPECIALLY with Garnets.

Kinda sad, I had a few garnets years ago that i really liked, always wished i had gotten a Herzog from him.

JWingman wrote: "I brought to an amp tech and he had it going but it starting losing power. He determined it was the output transformer."

1) What did this tech do to get the amp 'going'? IF he simply applied voltage and it made sound, then imho that process was a disservice to the amp. IF one is going to try to bring an old, unused amp back to life with the electrolytics that are in the amp, one should use a voltage controlled situation to try to reform the electrolytics. What you describe sounds to me like some electrolytics that are NOT doing their job.
2) How did the tech 'determine' that the OT was bad?

IME, an old amp like that needs to be recapped and subjected to good general service before one starts trying to analyze what one has in front of them. I have heard old electrolytics exhibit just the situation that you described. IF the e-caps cannot provide strong, stable voltages to the circuit; the circuit does not fucntion as it was designed to function.

JWingman

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help and insight.

I contacted Larry Kohut in winnipeg at red rick amps and he provided two Schematics for a early and late version of this amp. Mine matched the late version and he supplied an output transformer spec sheet. We know which output ttansformer judt need to source one. Marland 301k1016.

Stepping Wolfe. He had the amp playing . It had been working the day I brought it in. He realized when he tested it the next day that it was losing power. I think he is doing his due diligence.

Wish me luck on finding the part.
Thanks
Wingman. I will keep you posted or if you have a part source for me. Let me know!!

TweeDLX

I contacted Larry Kohut in winnipeg at red rick amps and he provided two Schematics for a early and late version of this amp. Mine matched the late version and he supplied an output transformer spec sheet. We know which output ttansformer judt need to source one. Marland 301k1016.
Unless you're attempting to keep the amp in a pristine "stock" condition, there are probably several OT's out there that would do the job. If you have the specs, check out Hammond, Edcor, and Magnetic components for compatible ot's.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help and insight.

Stepping Wolfe. He had the amp playing . It had been working the day I brought it in. He realized when he tested it the next day that it was losing power. I think he is doing his due diligence.

Wish me luck on finding the part.
Thanks
Wingman. I will keep you posted or if you have a part source for me. Let me know!!
JWingman, 'up and playing' with old filter caps means nothing beyond perhaps that the major components..the transformers...are still working, ime. I will bring and old amp up with controlled voltage to see what is there. I do not play the amp for long in this test scenario. IF I get loud sounds out of the amp, then I expect that there is a fair chance that the transformers are in working order. If an old amp starts to 'lose power', I then know that what I expected to do anyway HAS to be done...that is, I replace the electrolytic capacitors. I then assess what else is going on in the amp. In almost all cases, fresh e-caps and good general service gets the amp back into proper working order...maybe one needs some tubes. IT is rare that the OT is gone IF one hears loud sounds before the amp starts losing the output. I would never replace an OT in an old amp that exhibits what you have described until the amp had fresh electrolytics and I knew therefor that all voltages were strong and stable. IF the old OT is gone, it could be that the old electroltyics had something to do with that. (;^)....and replacing the OT while leaving the old e-caps in the circuit is asking for bad sonics at the best and the loss of a new OT at the worst, ime. I remember a BF Vibrochamp that was doing exactly what you describe here....turn it on and it would produce sound for a bit...and then the signal would fade away. Fresh caps brought the amp back to life. Same with totally dead amps....new caps and good general service brought them back to a new beginning.

But....your tech's mileage may vary. And....you did not respond to my question #2....."How did the tech 'determine' that the OT was bad?" A tech should be able to describe whatever is wrong with the OT. Silence from an amp does not necessarily mean the OT is bad....just as hearable sound from an amp does not mean that an OT is good, either.
At any rate....good luck with it.

JWingman

That is a lot of great info.

I will ask the questions that you mentioned. He said he went in and cleaned and changed some things prior so I can only assume he knows what he is doing. He has been repairing old point to point amps for over 20 years and that is how he makes his living.

I really appreciate all the great information from everyone on this forum.
Thanks
Guys

Trending Topics