• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Garnet Herzog...Just bought me a present!

AXEnGEAR4J

Curious if anyone has experience with one of these, I heard nothing but good things. I found one for sale and bit the bullet and bought it, they seem to be hard to come by. It's on the way from Toronto... Besides it's my BIG "50" B-day today so I decided to buy myself a present!

rah3

Designed by the great Canadian amp designer and builder Gar Gilles. Randy Bachman used it to create all those great tones on the Guess Who records, No Time, American Women.

-RAH3

Bill Brasky

I had one. Mine was a newer 2002 model made while Gar Gilles was still alive and making them. I couldn't really get a great distortion sound out of mine. It worked but it didn't sound any better than just using a distortion/fuzz pedal in front of an amp. It's big and AC powered, so I sold it. Yours may be an older version that sounds different/better. The original Herzogs used a 6V6 IIRC, and Gar said he couldn't get good sounding 6V6's anymore so he changed it to use a 6BQ/ EL-84 type valve. I think I could make one of these easily from a 5 watt Crate tube amp. Really simple innards.

They are still being made actually. Really, these things are just a champ style amp run into a huge resistor and then a line out.

Enjoy your new toy!

TG

cube

who is making em? I used to talk to Gar all the time he was one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting .

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
Happy BDay. Yeah, cool. I have something like that made by a guy out west. Great into a big Marshall.

DS

gillibi

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome Herzog man, enjoy it! Crank up some Big Sugar/Guess Who tones for me!

AXEnGEAR4J

Curious if anyone has experience with one of these, I heard nothing but good things. I found one for sale and bit the bullet and bought it, they seem to be hard to come by. It's on the way from Toronto... Besides it's my BIG "50" B-day today so I decided to buy myself a present!

Just got the Herzog and took it for a "test drive". It's definitely got different character then other pre-amp and OD's, don't know about the RI's or clones.
Talk about gain............it can be very piercing to the point you need to back the tone pots off on the unit, guitar and amp to cut out the highs. Then when you do you get that creamy sustain the unit is known for..
Interesting to say the least!

screamingduck

Platinum Supporting Member
That lead line to "American Woman" has always knocked me out with it's creamy fatness. I had heard he was running one amp into another , now I see it was The Herzog by Garnett. Does anyone know where the name "The Herzog" came from?

Trending Topics