Garrison Acoustic/electric??

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by SQUAREHEAD, Jul 13, 2006.

1. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

I need an acoustic electric that "plays well" and "sounds great" thru a PA system. I DO NOT care what it looks like or anything fancy as inlay or exotic woods etc...
    Are these guitars good in terms of playability and tone?
    I understand they have fishman electronics?

Any input would be appreciated!!
    Thanx!!

keith

2. suttree

suttree Member

i've played a bunch of garrisons.. they're well made, and they do feature fishman electronics. they will sound fine plugged in, and they should last a lifetime of playing with basic care.

the same can be said about many other brands at that kind of price point, too.. including (but not limited to) alvarez, seagull, simon and patrick, cort, blueridge, norman, martin, fender (grand series only though, IMHO), etc... if the pickup is a well respected brand, like fishman or b-band or lr baggs, and you like playing it, you'll have a good guitar. for a real usable live guitar, i would try to make sure it has a notch filter on it.

3. SQUAREHEAD

4. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I had a bad experiance with the garrisons. Th whole back of the guitar split open. personally I don't buy into the synthetic bracing for one reason. Wood constantly expands and contracts even if it's just a liitle bit. Synthetic materials don't do this. So when you match a material that expands and contracts to a material that doesn't something is bound to happen.When the bracings are wood also the whole instrument is changing together not just one part against abother...just my thhoughts on the subject...

5. SQUAREHEAD

Wow! That's awful.
    Which model did you own??

Keith

6. suttree

suttree Member

hey gtr777... i'm curious, when did you get your guitar? was it early on? i worked at a dealer in calgary... we had the same problem with the first batch we received, there were a few blowouts.. sent them back, they were replaced, and we were informed that they had changed the glue compund to allow some flexing.. as far as i know after that we had no problem (i only worked one winter afterward, so i can't say i have a long term opinion on the changed construction)... the owner, chris griffiths, was a really nice guy and seemed genuinely interested in finding ways to make the best guitar he could.

7. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

It was an early model. I think it was an G30-EC. I didn't trust their guitars after that so I just returned it. I don't want to flame a company if they corrected the situation. This was just my experiance with their guitars.

8. SQUAREHEAD

That's scary.
    It makes me think twice
    ... maybe 3x!!

keith

9. suttree

suttree Member

hey gtr777, i dont blame you at all for being leery of them after that. i was too. all i can say in their defense is that they honestly listened to us, and were seemingly very on top of working out a solution to that problem.

squarehead, i can understand why you'd be thinking twice, too. make sure that the dealer hears these stories, and that they will guarantee you that it won't happen, i'd say that's fair.. or, i listed a half dozen other brands that make killer guitars for the money, and that's not a percentage of what's out there. best of luck with your purchase!