Gary Clark Jr.....still the future of the blues?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Jan 11, 2019.

1. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Supporting Member

once again..different era
    1960s

[​IMG]

1970s

[​IMG]

1990s

[​IMG]

2000s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I love what GCJ did with this song.

As for the pissing contest as to whether this is blues or not is irreverent. Categorization and classification is societies way to comprehend (and inevitably pigeonhole) art.

Have you all been listening to modern/contemporary music? It defies the conventional categorization that I (a Gen X-er) would recognize. Everything has been blended (for better or worse). You don't have to sound like Howlin' Wolf to play the "blues".

FuzzBuzz, gdomeier and BriSol like this.
  3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

It would interesting, if someone ever had the time, to go back through every Billboard Top 40 list and see just how many hits over the years were guitar based blues/rock songs. I would bet that the percentage is very low. If we eliminate the late 60's-early 70's period when FM was album rock pop radio has really not ever played much blues rock....

VooDooClown likes this.
  4. Superstick

Superstick Supporting Member

I don't care. That's my point. What you quoted was sarcasm. I was going to post 2 pictures of Hendrix. One in his suit playing his blues backup gig and then the Hendrix we all know but I thought what's the point. It always boils down to opinion but at least see the other side. Jack White is revered in some circles as this authentic artist yet that scene in It Might Get Loud where he nails the pick up a board and makes that makeshift lap steel makes me cringe every time. It's so pretentious in my opinion. Here's a guy who has had a ton of success at that point trying to make some point. And now he plays an EVH Wolfgang. Trying to create irony? I guess I just want the people who I pay to see to take me away from my everyday life. I don't want to see Jeff from accounting on stage. But that's me.
    I also wish my guitar skills were on par with the "buffoon" you refer to. :aok

5. Ogre

Ogre Member

He is not, and he does not want to be.(the future of the blues) I believe his new song, "This Land", transcends all labels, and will have a big social impact. We shall see.

6. cuttyshark

cuttyshark Member

A real "elephant in the room" thread.

Asking if someone is the future of the blues is the same as asking if they're the future of Jazz or Folk(?).

The genres are mostly dead, innovation-wise. The participants are just trying to eak out any remaining attention/money, by any means available - and the pie, naturally, gets smaller and smaller.
    To me, this appears to be an attempt to pull in the innovations of hip-hop (using the F* and N* word, repeatedly - "oh, my god!") while also incorporating the popular, anti-Confederate, flag theme. And we all (should) know that the race-hate card is not immune from marketing exploitation.
    So, GCJ has some money now, and, bought some land, but, the neighbors told him to run/go home (did, they, really?... ) That's wrong, if true, for sure, and, if so, respect, and, admire him for that - My neighborhood would be improved if he bought close to me.

As to the OP question, if that moves the genre forward, I don't think it's the direction it needs to go.

Leave my limb alone

Horizontalmode likes this.
  7. neville5000

neville5000 Member

I can agree with the premise of this, although I have yet to hear something that really establishes him as a great songwriter. Admittedly, I haven't listened to his body of work, but that's only because the singles and random songs posted here haven't struck a chord with me so to speak.

I agree wholeheartedly on the JB bit, and while I have the utmost respect for his talent and work ethic. He does nothing for me as an artist.

theanthonyv and BriSol like this.
  8. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Yeah I wouldn't say he's a generational songwriting talent but I do believe he's genuine and real.

Yeah I replied later in the thread to that end. 100% wouldn't slight his skills.

9. Scanloni

Scanloni Member

Killer track. Love it. I hope this is indicative of “the future of the blues”, because most of what passes for “blues” these days is just unoriginal regurgitation of the past.

Facepuncher and xzacx like this.
  10. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I think you're taking the song a little too literally. Some of it is about his childhood.

"I’m just basically saying we’re here, everybody’s here. We all deserve an equal shot and let’s get over the ********. I grew up in the south, in Austin, Texas. I had a few situations down there with some racism, and some Confederate flags, and people calling me out of their trucks, and all that kind of stuff. It wasn’t an everyday thing, but I recently had an incident in my neighborhood with that, in front of my kid. Everything that was going on in November 2017, around that time, just the past couple years have been kind of crazy. Climate’s been a little bit wild. I had a track, a beat that I laid down, I didn’t have any lyrics over it and it just … I was just kind of sitting in there and it just came to me. I just went in there and fired off."

11. mango

mango Member

Spot on,that was exactly my experience.
    The censored version sounded off,the video version was great.
    Very powerful song,I like it.

FiestaRed likes this.
  12. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

WC plays at our local roadhouse every couple of months. I haven't been able to catch him ... must do so soon.

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

A buddy of mine (RIP) from my hometown moved to Austin years ago and ended up playing bass with W.C. Clark...

JiveJust likes this.
  14. rodeodee

rodeodee Member

Sensational! Powerful video. I'm looking forward the next album for sure.

I love his use of fuzz too, always some great textures.

Pedal Dan likes this.
  15. neils

neils Supporting Member

I don’t know, I’m not even hearing the music. It’s all lyrics this time for me. I have three mixed race grankids and while I suppose things are “OK” here I can’t help but have worries and feelings about things in the good ole USA.

Neil

16. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

Blues pedigree indeed.

17. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Supporting Member

Killer track. Was it blues? I dunno. I don't really care.

2HBStrat likes this.
  18. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I'm late to this one and haven't read the whole thread. I bought the new album and tried to like it. Went to the concert, front row.

Nup. Sorry, I'm out. Just doesn't grab my attention anymore.

Jazzydave and ruger9 like this.
  19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

My friend loves the new CD...

20. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

Took me a while warming up with the new style / CD. While still preferring the older ones, I quite kinda like it by now.

And he's doing what an artist ought to do. Reflecting new styles and ways of expression in his own work. Maybe it's not what we more traditional dudes want to hear in the first place, but necessary for bringing forward arts.

I do love JS Bach, but I'm really happy about lots of stuff came way after him.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019