Gary Clark Jr.....still the future of the blues?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Jan 11, 2019.

1. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I get what you're meaning now. Sorry wasn't really what I was insinuating about him at all. Anyone who thinks the blues has one sound to recreate is sadly ignorant of the genre anyway.

2. thecornman

thecornman Member

Personally when I think of the Blues I don't think about the future, I think about the past! Same thing goes for Classical, Jazz and even Rock for that matter now. Sure there will always be people that carry on playing and enjoying it, but the days of looking at it as something relevant in the future of music are long gone. If I actually get the urge to listen to any of it now a days I am just going to go back and listen to some of the many excellent recording out there already. I can't remember the last time I heard a straight up Blues song or player that had anything fresh or new to say that has been covered already.

Gasp100 and Laurence like this.
  3. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I was pretty much up against the stage at the Crossroads Festival when Doyle Bramhall II brought him on stage. After DBII had Gary play a song, everyone was saying the same thing, "WHO...WAS...THAT?!?!" Everyone's jaw was dropped. The rest of the day everywhere you went in that stadium people were talking. You'd go into a booth, people were talking about Gary and asking did you see his performance. There was something special there and everyone knew it.

4. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

...is not a blues musician and definitely not the future of the blues.

But neither is GCJr or Bonamassa. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    theanthonyv likes this.
  5. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

That is a BOLD statement my friend.

6. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

What’s so bold about it? Not bold at all. None of the three are blues musicians. Blues influenced and/or “bluesy” sure. But not blues. Like I said, nothing wrong with that. I can't imagine anyone who considers them to be blues is very deep into or fluent in the genre of blues music. Most ppl I know who are fans of the three wouldn’t even classify them as blues.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    theanthonyv likes this.
  7. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Really? Not blues?

ant_riv, BobbyFudge and gkoelling like this.
  8. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Agree with both of these to a certain point. His music isn't just traditional blues he's able to weave in & out of multiple genres. It's boring as hell at this point watching or listening to all the usual blues licks over & over. That's why I can't get into Joe B (sorry I know he's the holy grail here) it gets to the point where it's yeah dude I get it you practiced the same licks for 20 years & you can play them really fast. Crappy emotionless songs.

Gary Clark Jr has been around for a long time he's not a new or future anything he's current & at or near his peak. I've seen him at least 15 times & there's nothing nostalgic about him he's fresh & doing his own thing. I saw him twice a month or two ago & the people are about as diverse as it gets. Rock - blues - hip hop - country etc hugely diverse ranging in age from 18-65 & a lot of girls. He sold out 4 nights at the Fonda here & there's a lot of anticipation for this record.

ant_riv and tapeworm like this.
  9. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

I’m very glad to see a local guy getting all the recognition!

I remember seeing him sit in with WC Clark at the Saxon Pub when I worked the door there. Gary was very polite and probably just out of high school.

Y’all can thank Gary’s good pal Eve Monsees for getting him hip to the blues. If she hadn’t who knows if you’d even be discussing him today.

10. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

Cool!

Reading the posts though...

Seems like it’s another Burstmaster of Blues thread.

11. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I dont care what he, that song was great, I have followed him for a while and respect his talent, but that is the first song of his that really made me take notice and think, "this guy has something to say" -- well done Gary, I hope to see more like this from him.

I also agree he is not blues per se, the blues is present there, and informs his playing, but so does a lot of other genres, and that is a good thing. Frankly a lot of "blues" is stale anymore, I like how he takes what he likes from all over the place and blends it into something interesting.

StanG, Seth L, rambleon and 4 others like this.
  12. sanrico

sanrico Member

It's interesting when someone comes out and we say "not the Blues" and it seems offensive to folks. A couple of years ago, someone posted a video of Robben Ford playing "gypsy jazz" and a few of us said "awesome, but not gypsy jazz" and panties commenced to twisting.

Robben Ford playing in that video was beautiful. It wasn't gypsy jazz (side note: Gipsy Kings aren't Flamenco), but it was really good, whatever it was!

I guess I just don't care what Clark Jr plays...it's great!

Thumpalumpacus, StanG and rambleon like this.
  13. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

It's evolution at work, but if you need a genus and species, it's the effing blues.

Thumpalumpacus, StanG and (Something) like this.
  14. BarryE

BarryE Member

Solid and on target. The rest of this discussion does not matter. It is that simple.

15. scott944

scott944 Member

Dare I ask who is "Mr Williams"?

FiestaRed likes this.
  16. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

Marcus is one to watch. When/if he decides to stop being Warren Haynes, I think he'll have more to say. He's still so young and I think it's great he's out there keeping that style alive.

As for Clark Jr., I too respect him for stepping out and speaking up. I also respect TGP for being able to discuss this song without getting too political. :D

17. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

Wow, that was heavy! Gotta move it forward!

18. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

guessing Robin

19. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I saw him at Joe's Generic when he was about 15 in 1998 or 1999. It was a weeknight and there were about 5 people in the place. I also once saw him in the audience at one of my shows about 10 years ago. I've met Eve. She's really nice.

JiveJust likes this.
  20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I already like Marcus King better than I like Warren Haynes.....:hide2

Jazzydave likes this.