1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gary Louris/Jayhawks fuzztone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by todd richman, Feb 20, 2006.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I think this may have been discussed before, but would you recommend the Fulltone '69 or Analog Man Sun Face for the Gary Louris fuzz sound as heard on several tracks on Hollywood Town Hall, etc. I am not interested in other fuzz clones just these 2 so please keep it to them. I know that Gary used an old silver/grey Arbiter Germanium Fuzz Face as shown on the inner notes of the CD booklet and also from a Jayhawks gear page..

2. shakti

shakti Member

AM NKT Sunface, hands down!!

I've owned a '69, but the Sunface has more gain, smoother sound when full on, and...well, just about nails the Gary Louris tone!

3. todd richman

Thanks Shakti. That I believe was the general consensus from earlier threads on this subject and I am inclined to go with the Sun Face. I think that the '69 with its extra controls interferes with the general fuzz face sound whereas the Sun Face is pretty much a 2 knob layout identical to the Fuzz Face except for the bias or Sun Dial knob which is actually a nice feature to dumb down the fuzz and get a grittier more bluesy OD sound-I think that Jim Weider actually keeps the Sun Dial at around 75% for a less fuzzy and more tube-esque OD tone.

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

a subject close to my heart :AOK

Granted HTH was a few years ago ---- but Having watched My Louris a couple times from a few feet away on a low stage.....

Silicon fuzz face into Fulldrive 2 ( with a univox super fuzz for the occasional 'over the top sound' )

Fulldrive for basic drive sound - FF engaged for solos instead of FD2 boost....

so you might consider a '70 (silicon) into an FD2

5. todd richman

Hi DonneR. Is that really a silicon fuzz face-the first inner page of HTH shows a silver grey Fuzz Face-I thought those were the earliest Fuzz Faces and were Germanium-NKT-275's perhaps. Plus the tones Gary gets on the record seem to go from full out fuzz to a more bluesy grit ala the NKT-germ version. They don't seem as high gain as a silicon ususally sounds, especially the way the '70 sounds to me?

6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

I dont have the booklet in front of me, and also back then he was using a Deluxe Reverb - dont know what speaker....

now he uses a Matchless with v30s..... very diffferent amps - but he still sounded like himself ; ]

but the silicon fuzz into tube screamer is what gets me there - endless variations on that theme --- but the OD tames the fuzz while still using the rawness of the sound and molds it into that tone,,, and you still get the volume knob rolloff capabilities.....

Ill have to listen again tonight- whats your favorite fuzz song ??

Also the softer germanium sound is more like silicon into OD..... he may very well have used a Germ fuzz for that, and then discovered the sili-od trick later....... Germ fuzzes can be highly inconsistant on the road.

7. shakti

shakti Member

Yeah, it does sound warmer like a germanium to me...plus the photo from HTH mentioned already. But I'm no expert on Louris tones...with a FD2 after the fuzz that would probably smooth things out a lot, and if you set the silicon FF for less than max gain I guess that could work. What kind of guitar was he using the most, SG or Jazzmaster? Or something else?

Still, between a '69 or Sunface, there's no question though.

8. MrSage

MrSage Member

What's the sound on the "Save it for a Rainy Day" solo?

9. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Ok, finally got time to investigate.....

the big Fuzz Face pic in the front of the book is a black and white photo, so could be red or grey ...

the pic of the amp is a non reverb model....

the 'band' pic - on the floor is the FF into a Morley Wah/Volume, ( I played a Morley wah for a long time and it sounds like that , I never noticed this before )

'Save it' solo is a Harmonica:) (followed by a lightly distorted bit that I would take as slightly driven amp, maybe a touch of FD2 since this is a much later recording, probably no fuzz, the Honey Bee will do that nicely tho)

10. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Check this link-looks like a Red one to me-for the "Smile" tour at least:
    http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/Jayhawks%20Amps%2C%20etc.html

I love that record, love that band!
    In 2003 I visited the USA. My wife and I purchased a copy of Rainy Day Music @ Amoeba in San Francisco and listened to it in the rent a car on the way to Yosemite. Nice memory for sure.

11. MrSage

MrSage Member

:BITCH

After reading up on this a bit, now I have another pedal on my list of things I want but don't have the money for right now...

:AOK

12. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

"Miss William's Guitar" from the "Green Grass" album!!!

13. jero

jero Member

"tailspin" from rainy day music...

Man I love this band, had the chance to see them three times live.

From a guitar player's point of view, Gary Louis has the rare quality to create solos one can whistle along with, don't start me on his songwriting skills!

:dude:RoCkIn:dude

14. jero

jero Member

oh and to comment on the original question

I had both the '69 and the sunface, sticked with the sunface.

15. erksin

erksin Member

I've always liked The Jayhawks, but never bought any of their stuff, just ordered 'Tomorrow The Green Grass' - looking forward to it!

Thanks for the reminder!

16. Craise

Craise Member

I don't understand why you would limit yourself to those two pedals? I've played both...the fulltone was very forgetable and the sunface has good tone but is kinda weak and not very versatile IMHO YMMV. I'm loving my retroman sybil it has germ and silcon sides which you can blend together or use separately. Lots of different shades of fuzz when you blend them, apposed to the one good sound of the sun face. Worth checking out. But if it's got to be one of the two sun face is the way to go.

17. todd richman

I limited it to those 2 since they are both very close to the original circuit and use the original trannies. The '69 has a few extra controls but they can be minimized to recreate the original 2 knob Arbiter Fuzz Face. I do not want a hybrid si/ge as that is not true to the original Fuzz Face. I ended up with a SUndial equipped Sun Face with NKT-275's. Mine also has an on/off pot on the fuzz knob so I can leave it plugged in and not use any battery juice while the board is stored on my tractor trailer in between tour stops-actually in my SUV in between gigs!

18. Craise

Craise Member

I think the key to good fuzz is the builder testing and finding good trannies, not just the name on them, there are bad sounding NKT 285's for sure. Just to add, the Sybil is not a hybrid it has two separate sides one germ and one silcon and you can run them by themselves or together. But I see you've bought the SunFace, it has good tone for sure...the fulltone...uh..pass. Nice to see analogman added the on/off switch...I love that my sybil has this feature too.
    Enjoy!:AOK and lock up that SUV, trailer! Love those Jayhawks!

19. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

friggin' genius (laughter)

20. todd richman

A typo I am sure. NKT-275's are the original trannies for germ based Fuzz Faces...