Gary Louris/Jayhawks fuzztone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by todd richman, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

"Still haven't picked up the new Olson/Louris, but finally got the Louris solo album and it is very good."

I did know about either cd until I was poking around the web last night, so I ordered both. I had been amazed to find it has been 6 years since Rainy Day Music!

2. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

[​IMG]

His FF is a germanium version. I have spoken to Gary about this.
    The Jayhawks is the reason I got into the Fuzz face and led me in the forums. almost 10 years ago now.

The MJM London Fuzz nails this tone to a tee! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo9BNijkw78

and yeah the new Olson/Louris cd is just simply beautiful!

[​IMG]

3. Philly Fuzz

Philly Fuzz Member

Don't know what Gary uses and I take you at your word, but just be aware that the London Fuzz you link to is the London II which is the silicon version....

4. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

Kris, of KJ Audio here in Minneapolis, worked on that fuzz recently.

It's silicon. Gary believed it was germanium for many years, but was surprised to find out that it isn't. So that's the end of that story.

5. Lampasas

Lampasas Member

I knew it! Definitely sounds silicon to me, and I've always said so. Thanks for clearing this up, at long last.

6. buellwisner

buellwisner Member

That's pretty funny . . . Louris has stressed in magazine articles that the germanium transistors in his fuzz (rather than silicon) were the key to its wicked good sound!

7. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

True. I just posted that since the LFII is gainier and does that Miss William's guitar almost exploding amp tone.

8. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

That's pretty funny. I must say though Gary does like talking about gear and stuff. I thought that he'll be nonchalant about it.

He also used a grey Univox Superfuzz for a few tours.

9. buellwisner

buellwisner Member

So, in that case, how would the Fulltone '70 work for the Hollywood and Green Grass sounds?

Would the mid control on that pedal eradicate the need for the FD2 between the fuzz and the amp?

Y'all got my wheels turning toward fuzzes again!

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

I saw a clip/interview where Gary is saying how much he hates talk gear with people :YinYang
    and yup its a grey Superfuzz ~ or thats what he used on the two Rainyday shows I saw.....

11. Don Rusk

I had this idea to butcher an FD2 and repurpose the boost stomp since he didnt use it, and put a silicon FF circuit hidden there --- Stealthtone LourisDrive !!! all in one

12. Lampasas

Lampasas Member

I had a '70 here recently, and think it will get you just about there. The mids knob certainly helps it poke through, but not as effectively as a TS-ish pedal (I use a Blue Boy). The '70 is the closest thing to my beloved Crest Fuzz Face (the 1980s reissue) that I've personally auditioned. It lacked a tiny bit of warmth in comparison, but had more output, a more convenient enclosure, and a power jack, which was nice. Kinda wish I'd kept it, actually.

13. Don Rusk

....and also remember when trying to cop recorded tones, that there has likely been EQ at the board and your listening to a mic'd speaker thru stereo speakers....... so the sound coming out of Garys actual amp could sound very different....

14. buellwisner

buellwisner Member

Now THAT is a great idea. I had that set-up years ago . . . never touched the boost on the FD2.

Didn't sound too much like Louris, though, as I used a strat.

I thought at the time that the Fuzz Face RI I had was supposed to be Germanium, but it sounded NOTHING like the Sunface or Fulltone '69 I had . . . much more volume, a lot ruder, more cut, more spit and sputter.

Sounded more or less like the Classic 108 and Hendrix Fuzz demos on youtube.

I therefore conclude it was either defective or Silicon.