Gary Moore Tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ButchR, Jun 17, 2006.

1. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I've been listening to Gary Moore lately and I love his tone. I know he used a '59 Les Paul and it looks like he used Marshalls on most of the stuff that I have been listening to. Does anyone know what pedals he used to get that tone?

2. nickt

nickt Member

IIRC, one of the pedals he used to use a lot was the Mk1 Marshall Guvnor. I think he's also been known to use a Tube Screamer at times.

3. ButchR

Wow! Another point for tone lives in the hands. I especially liked his tone on "Still got the blues".

4. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

He used Soldanos during that period also I beleive.

5. somecafone

somecafone Member

During his "Victims of the Future" days, I understand he used a JCM 800, a Strat, and a Boss DS-1. Yeah, the orange one. That was some pretty savage yet musical tone.

6. kram21

kram21 Member

I read an interview with GM and he stated that he used a Marshall Bluesbraker anp with a marshall guvnor[mk1]pedal for the Still Got the Blues

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

That endless sustain/tone on that song has everything to do with the SLO imo.

8. ButchR

Maybe there is a SLO in my future!

9. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

My favorite GM album is "Blues for Greeny" (and the LIVE VSH Tape). More low-gain tone than some of his other albums. From the LIVE tape it seems he is using a couple of BFDR's and some pedals, but can't see what they are--you can hear though when he engages some delay (or possibly just the reverb in the BFDRs) and another for high gain solos with a lot of lush sustain.

This was a great live show, GM used Peter Green's LP and Peter even shows up and comes on stage to say hi (but sadly, didn't play).

10. ButchR

I'm sure that was a great show. I'm gonna have to see that one. I also heard him do "The sky is cryin'" on Deep Tracks a few weeks ago on XM radio. It was fantastic.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I think you need a Gary Moore Signature LP Butch...........[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Gary's tone has traditionally been the classic LP into Marshall setup. He may have also ventured into Soldano's ocasionally and Tubescreamer pedals give you a distinctive bluesy tone.... but really.... for Gary's style... why would he ever need to move away from his traditional guitar>amp tube tones :D

14. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

Gay's also used strats quite a bit. He's used Marshalls mostly but did use Soldanos a while. For effects he's used DS1's, then TS9's, then TS10's as well as Marshall V1 Guv'nors and Marshall bluesbreakers. He's used Boss delays and Boss chorus units, at least through the late 70's, all of the 80's and early 90's. Beginning his blues phase (early 90's) he's started to change out his pedals more.

15. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Not a SLO - Marshall Bluesbreaker RI with a Marshall Guvnor' (original version) hitting the front end. Oh and a '58 Les Paul (not Greeny) and Gary's hands help as well. The endless sustain has alot to do with playing LOUD

16. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

It was Bluesbreakers in the studio. Live he was using DSL100's for quite sometime live, as was Jeff beck, FWIW.

17. 4styx

4styx Member

ButchR,I have to agree with you on the Hands thing.
    The wah he uses is magical.I'd love to see a gut shot of that one.

18. zachman

zachman Senior Member

I LOVE his tone here too. Strat, not a LP.

Gary Moore is a savage amazing guitarist, imo

19. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Hmmm... I've seen some live footage of Gary from that era where he's got some Marshalls behind him. Then there's the classic clip of him jammin' with B.B. and I'm prety sure he's usin' the Soldano there.

20. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

True, and he changes things up from time to time, era to era, but through much of the early and mid 2000's it was the DSL's (live) more often than not. I know that may tweak the boutique crowd a bit, but the guy has it in his hands and he could probably tear it up on a daisy rock and a 10 watt 1985 crate combo amp.

His version of Red House is purely amazing. Aside from some rediculous clothes, his playing was pretty devastating back in the 70's and 80's, too. His strat tone is so thick and aggressive! :huh :bow

http://www.youtube.com/v/uLf3uSvEbCw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uLf3uSvEbCw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">