Gary Moore

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by fitz, Jun 19, 2019.

1. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Incredible, versatile player. Saw him in a club on the Corridors of Power tour w/ Ian Paice on kit. Ridiculously great.
    Plus, all gracious people.

2. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

He's awesome! He is one of those guys that I prefer the live stuff over the studio stuff. I don't really get in to the "authentic blues" stuff... he played cool guitar driven music just like Freddie King, Robert Johnson, Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Herring, and many others.... someone else can argue about the authenticity or genre. :cool:

DV52 likes this.
  3. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

Said me, never.

Buckeyedog likes this.
  4. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

This was how I discovered Gary and Thin Lizzy. I've been a fan ever since. Dude played with his heart on his sleeve everytime he picked up a guitar.

5. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

I love Gary and i mis him! He dedicated Sunset to Randy Rhoads and i just can't listen to this this version without getting tears in my eyes, everyrtime again.

freedom's door and Jimi1983 like this.
  6. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

For me, one of the few over the top shredders who never overstayed his welcome when he soloed. Not sure why but yeah, I liked him a lot when other similar guitarists would bore me.

7. mikebat

mikebat Member

Were some of his songs bad, yes. Was his sense of fashion and which way the wind was blowing bad, yes.

Did he simply blow the doors off the joint when he wanted to, yes. No one builds drama and climax as much as Gary did. I thin the whole "blues" period went on too long, but it was obvious that it was the most popular of all his material, so I can fully understand why he went back to that same old well over and over.

He is a much better singer than he gave himself credit for too. I am a big fan. I just wish he used more single coil guitars sprinkled into his LP vibe after Still Got the Blues.

8. dez

dez Member

Gary is one of my favorite artists to listen to for about the past 40 years and also a huge influence on my playing. Never saw him play in person though.

9. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Me too. I like everything he recorded. Top three for me.

freedom's door and John 14:6 like this.
  10. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Member

This.......so much this!!!!!!

11. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Member

Definitely not enough facial expression. You are right on here.

bagpipe and freedom's door like this.
  12. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

My #1 guy since the 80's. Never loses the feel no matter how fast he's playing.

I kind of lost interest when he started making his albums less polished toward the end. I know he caught a lot of crap from the blues police about playing too many notes and not being authentic enough, and maybe that was a reaction to it?

Also prefer him live to studio, generally.

13. rwmct

rwmct Member

I like the blues period best, and the Greeny-esque playing in particular.

14. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I am a fan of his hard rock era as well.

I remember reading an interview I think during the time he was recording "Still Got The Blues" in which he said, if I remember correctly, that Bob Daisley heard him rehearsing some blues licks backstage before a performance and suggested he record an album of blues music. To which Gary thought "Still Got The Blues" would just be one off project and he'd return to his usual hard rock style. At the time lots of popular guitarists were doing a bluesy album.

He said he played a gig of his blues music and people were "booing" him initially but by the end of the gig finally cheered him on. At the time I remember thinking his blues playing wasn't authentic. However it may have been the most genius move he ever made and it kept him very relevant at a time (1990s) he would have become irrelevant had he stuck to his hard rock playing.

Buzzard Luck likes this.
  15. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

My favorite 3 ever, in no order-- Moore, Grissom, Henderson.

An absolute clinic in what it means to be a blues/rock guitar player:

16. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

Maybe my all time favorite, mostly his hard rockin' solo stuff but the blues stuff is good too. Love his passion & aggression. Overplay all you want, your Gary Friggin' Moore!
    Avatar approves! About time for me to do a GM deep-dive, need to get into the Thin Lizzy material he plays on.

freedom's door likes this.
  17. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

Sadly for me, I only discovered Gary shortly before he passed. I was shocked when I heard.
    We were the same age. I'm a fan of his blues stuff.

18. blueman61

blueman61 Supporting Member

Started listening to him in 1983. A monster Rock and Blues player. Apparently Albert King, Albert Collins and B.B. King all agreed because they all played and/or recorded with him at one time or another. I just wish he had recorded something with Luther Allison. Both of them played like they were wielding flamethrowers. Ferocious stuff. Loved his blues. Loved the ballads. Loved his rock stuff......"Shapes of things to Come" anyone? Wish he was still with us.

19. amigo30

amigo30 Member

There are Gary Moore haters? I can't even comprehend how that could be. That would be like not having a soul..

freedom's door likes this.
  20. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

huge fan of Gary. was lucky enough to have seen him with Thin Lizzy in 78. didn't know who he was at the time but do remember that TL rocked. that concert still remains as my all time fav show i was at. Blue Oyster Cult was the headliner with Thin Lizzy in the middle slot with some band from Australian called AC/DC opening the show. all 3 bands were great. i was impressed with the opening band though i didn't know much about them at the time. was a TL fan so i was excited to see them. wish i had been able to see Gary again but the only other time he was supposed to come (opening for Def Leppard) that didn't happen. DL had to postpone the show by a month or so and by then Gary wasn't with them.

Buzzard Luck and monty like this.