Gary Rossington played a Hiwatt!!!!!

bobmc

Silver Supporting Member
Another type of amp I have never spent any time with.

He sounded quite a bit like himself I think.

JohnLnyc

Not surprising.
I don't know about the newer versions but in the late 60's and early 70's Hiwatts were pretty prevalent. Lost of power and volume and a lot of headroom!

I owned a 100 watt head for a while. They were clean enough for bass players.
They were used by Tull, Floyd and the Stones and many other bands and I guess went out of business and were revived more recently.

Interestingly they were founded by Dan Reeves (later Reeves amplifiers) who left Sound City to start HiWatt.
I recall my guitar player in the late 60's almost bought a Sound City (nice amp 50 watts, I think through eight ten's).

Last edited:

Tweedman

Before they got hooked up with Peavey they played several different brands including Fender, Marshall and Hiwatt.

ce24fan

Silver Supporting Member
back when i was young and dumb, a dude wanted to sell me what was prolly a late 70s dr103 with 4x12 cab for $700. if memory serves me well, the reason i turned it was because it didn't overdrive like a jcm 800 (insert facepalm smiley).

what was cool about the footage was like what bobmc said. he still sounded like rossington, which dispelled a myth that i believed rossington was the "peavey" sound.

allan collins had his peaveys modded because he favoured a more marshall sound.

anybody notice the brand of beer he was swilling whilst engaging in that righteous feedback?

JohnLnyc

back when i was young and dumb, a dude wanted to sell me what was prolly a late 70s dr103 with 4x12 cab for $700. if memory serves me well, the reason i turned it was because it didn't overdrive like a jcm 800 (insert facepalm smiley).

what was cool about the footage was like what bobmc said. he still sounded like rossington, which dispelled a myth that i believed rossington was the "peavey" sound.

allan collins had his peaveys modded because he favoured a more marshall sound.

anybody notice the brand of beer he was swilling whilst engaging in that righteous feedback?
The whole "sound" thing is one of the greatest myths in music.
(it's in there with the tone issue).

Firstly, with all the various equipment bands use over their careers they almost always sound--like that particular band.

I heard the WHO live using all sorts of stuff from Hiwatts to tube Sunns to Solid State Sunns to WEM etc etc etc--they always sounded like….THE WHO!

The other aspect is--guitarists use all sorts of customized stuff--pick ups et al.

I always thought the latest iteration of Steve Miller was using Stratocasters.
Wrong! His "strats" are made by John Bolin and are chambered. I have no idea what the pickups are.

Then there are all the pedals and other effects.

Leslie West noted that a lot of his early live playing with Mountain was through a solid state Sunn Coliseum PA amp! (he received it by mistake from Sunn).

So when most try to specify a particular sound one is dealing with so many mostly unknown variables--it is near impossible to boil it all down to a piece of equipment.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
It makes sense that Rossington would use a Hiwatt, if you listen closely it is surprising how little distortion the LS guitarists actually used.

I used to have a Hiwatt, a DR103 head bought for $150 from a Charlotte NC music store (this was the late eighties). Very good sounding head, loud and clean, but still sounded British.

JohnLnyc

It makes sense that Rossington would use a Hiwatt, if you listen closely it is surprising how little distortion the LS guitarists actually used.

I used to have a Hiwatt, a DR103 head bought for $150 from a Charlotte NC music store (this was the late eighties). Very good sounding head, loud and clean, but still sounded British.
Yes!
But…those monsters were so incredibly loud, unless you were playing a pretty sizable venue………

To get any saturation/break up you had to crank them so hi (watt).

sacakl

Gold Supporting Member
Wonder what kind of DR103? Difference between the 70's models than the post-Dave Reeves ones , and then the most recent Musicground ones. I think that's why Reeves amplification gets mentioned a lot now.

I remember seeing the Hives play a show about ten years ago and they had a stack of new Hiwatts. However one of them was really playing a mic'ed up Princeton behind them.

Slaphappy

That would have been a good enough reason for me

toc626

Firstly, with all the various equipment bands use over their careers they almost always sound--like that particular band.

I heard the WHO live using all sorts of stuff from Hiwatts to tube Sunns to Solid State Sunns to WEM etc etc etc--they always sounded like….THE WHO!

The other aspect is--guitarists use all sorts of customized stuff--pick ups et al.

Wrong! His "strats" are made by John Bolin and are chambered. I have no idea what the pickups are.

Leslie West noted that a lot of his early live playing with Mountain was through a solid state Sunn Coliseum PA amp! (he received it by mistake from Sunn).

So when most try to specify a particular sound one is dealing with so many mostly unknown variables--it is near impossible to boil it all down to a piece of equipment.
I agree up to a point. But it is also true that Pete Townshend never sounded quite the same (or as good, IMO)as he did with an SG w P-90's through Hiwatts. And while Leslie West is still a great player and has a distinctive style, his LP Jr through Sunn PA sound was epic, unique and never replicated. Sometimes equipment does matter, but only in synergy with genius players. In other words, plug me into Pete's old Hiwatts or Leslie's Sunn, with identical vintage guitars, and I won't sound a thing like them!

Aren't the ACDC guys famous for never deviating one iota from their classic guitar/amp setups? And then there's Neil Young.....

JohnLnyc

I agree up to a point. But it is also true that Pete Townshend never sounded quite the same (or as good, IMO)as he did with an SG w P-90's through Hiwatts. And while Leslie West is still a great player and has a distinctive style, his LP Jr through Sunn PA sound was epic, unique and never replicated. Sometimes equipment does matter, but only in synergy with genius players. In other words, plug me into Pete's old Hiwatts or Leslie's Sunn, with identical vintage guitars, and I won't sound a thing like them!

Aren't the ACDC guys famous for never deviating one iota from their classic guitar/amp setups? And then there's Neil Young.....
Good points.
I agree pretty much. There are some very distinctive sounding pieces of equipment.

A lot of that "tone" West got was that guitar and those pickups!
It is relatively easy to "get" someone's sound. It is very hard to sound like someone!

ce24fan

Silver Supporting Member

prolly about the same time i bought a 1970 super lead for $300 from a music store just north of charlotte. at that time, channel switching amps and rack mount stuff was all the rage. old school stuff could be had for a song. i always regretted not getting that hiwatt because i ran my marshalls clean with a pedal anyway. on the other hand, back then i didn't know how to dial in any amp properly so the hiwatt woulda been sold like the others! LOL!!

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11

Funny, I have an old 71 Hiwatt and a P90 SG ..... one chord out of that rig screams Pete Townsend Live at Leeds.... it's unmistakable. :) The Who's tone varied album to album. Leeds is the tone I love the most and it was P90s / mahogany / Hiwatt / Fanes at their best. It's like a good recipe!

But I know what you mean, for example EVH can probably make any guitar sound like his faithful Frankenstrat to some degree.

Same here- but because it didn't overdrive like a JMP 2204.

A friend was selling an amp and he gave me a couple of weeks with it.

It was a cool looking amp, but it had this nasty-raspy overdrive. I used it for a few shows but it was not for me.

I seem to recall it went to a friend who completely refurbed it and it THEN sounded dominant.

I really had no care about that until the live Zeppelin DVD came out and found that perfect Jimmy Page "Marshall" sound on the Royal Albert Hall stuff is a Hiwatt...:nono

Custom50

He used a Hiwatt a lot. even when the peaveys came in. He often had a hiwatt head with them.

Trending Topics