Gas Attack,k,k,k,k,k,k (CB Echorec)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CJReaper, Jul 26, 2019.

1. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

So lately I’ve been getting into tape delays (Thanks Pete Thorn & TPS!), started with the Dunlop Echoplex and Preamp, then a CB Belle Epoch (Use them for VH1 type echo, both are awesome and worth having IMO), now I’m looking into the Catalinbread Echorec as it seems like it would be another awesome old-school delay I can run into the front of my amp (I run old single channel Marshalls dirty with no effects loop so my effects need to work in the front of the amp).

Usually my limit for a pedal is $200 so $240 is a bit over my limit but this pedal seems really cool (I’m also a huge Pink Floyd fan so the Live at Pompeii connection is also giving me GAS) and since it’s been out awhile I figure people on here can give some good pros & cons feedback (I did a search but didn’t come up with much).

Is it worth the price? I know it’s designed to go into the front of an amp, will it play well with an OD and a cranked JCM800? Any shortcomings or issues to be aware of that might be a legit deal breaker? Anything that makes it a must have, can’t live without it pedal? Thanks in advance!

Pointy Headstock and capt4inslow like this.
  2. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

I thought this was going to be Billy Joel content.

Scott57, woof*, mrsongbird and 4 others like this.
  3. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

I've been looking into Binson Echorec pedals. The CB Echorec gets a lot of positive feed back. I don't have one but I haven't heard of any issues with the CB Echorec.

After all of my searching the Dawner Prince Boonar is the one that I"m planning on getting - not cheap either but it sounds great. No tap tempo but I'm OK with that.

Sean413 and CJReaper like this.
  4. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

Just came in to golf clap the thread title.

Please proceed.

capt4inslow and Big in Japan like this.
  5. thevelourfog

thevelourfog Member

:spit

Big in Japan likes this.
  6. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

You oughta know by now . . .

Sean413 and Big in Japan like this.
  7. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

I absolutely hated mine. Sounded like there was a blanket over my amp.

I went for the boonar instead. I eventually decided the echorec sound wasnt for me.

CJReaper likes this.
  8. webs

webs Supporting Member

They can be had for well under $200 used. 140-150 isn't unusual if you're patient, and you can get one any day of the week for 160 shipped.

I think they're fantastic. I run mine into the front of a Bogner Shiva, along with a Belle Epoch. I think if you like the BE already you really ought to try the Echorec. If you get one used you can always resell it without taking a loss besides a few dollars for shipping and paypal.

Drawbacks exist: the head settings knob doesn't have detents, so you have to listen or squint to make sure you're on the right setting. The modulation control is inside, so unlike the BE you can't easily adjust it (I run two Echorecs with different modulation settings). Lastly, if you have it in trails mode and the feedback is high enough, you can get some bleed through when the pedal is off.

That said, it's the only pedal I've bought a backup for, and now I'm starting to collect the limited edition colors. The rhythmic patterns and the voicing that sits so nicely behind the guitar at nearly any feedback amount are uniquely compelling. It's hard enough to do either of those things in a delay, and both at once is something special.

CJReaper and ChampReverb like this.
  9. mikekim

mikekim Supporting Member

I just use the various echoplex TonePrints on my flashback2..
    'Nuff said...

10. J5jarod777

J5jarod777 Member

Genius

Big in Japan likes this.
  11. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

You ought to know by now.

Big in Japan likes this.
  12. JesterR

JesterR Member

Just ordered one yesterday. I had a few ones in the past. Very musical pedal for me. I sold mine, because, at that time I need more straight, present delay sound, so I switched to Belle Epoch.
    But now I am more into cleanish stuff, and some more ambient sounds, so for now I have CB Adineko as my favorite delay, and Echorec would be a nice addition. I plan to use Adineko for Lap steel, and Echorec for guitar.
    I had some records with Echorec, and still find, that I like that sound:

I think, that Echorec works infornt of the amp better for cleanish stuff, and in the loop (or after dirt) for higher gain. However, I do not think, that higher gain would work great (except for some fuzz-based Pink Floyd kind of stuff). For JCM800 + screamer, Some Echoplex modeller would be beter solution.

CJReaper likes this.
  13. p.j.

p.j. Member

Used is the way to go. I got rid of mine recently because I wasn't using it. Love my Adineko too much and did not see the need to have both.

The Echorec is cool. Definitely fun to mess with the different settings and I think it sounds really good. I played it into a clean amp with pedals. I would probably see if you can try one in front of a dirty amp, if that is at all possible. Good luck.

CJReaper likes this.
  14. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Big old like for the thread title...

CJReaper likes this.
  15. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

If you wait a few weeks the Boss DD-200 will have Echorec as well as Space echo settings. We'll have to see how they stack up. Ten dollars more than the CB, but a lot more stuff comes with it.

CJReaper likes this.
  16. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

Just got one of these and see when you have the pedal off in buffered/trails mode you get the swell coming through if you crank it up, and if you turn the mix up all the way no signal is getting through. Is that “normal”?

17. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

The Echorec is a fantastic delay...I have one.
    ...With a built-in pre-amp that 'can' cause chain/signal/interaction problems.
    You've been warned.

CJReaper likes this.
  18. webs

webs Supporting Member

Yes. The mix control goes full wet, and is always functional in trails mode, so that's working as intended. The oscillation leaking through in trails mode is obviously not intended but it's normal for these pedals.

The good news is that if you can live with true bypass mode, neither of those are issues.

aaronjcurtis likes this.
  19. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

The manual states that the self-oscillation after you turn the unit off is intended so that you can play over what continues to swirl/self-oscillate without getting any additional echoes, this is on top of the repeats continuing, so based on that it’s intended or isn’t and they updated the manual. Hehe.

I’m assuming by design, you’re going from on to bypassed not the other way around, at least that’s how they intend it to be used.

Nonetheless, awesome pedal.

20. webs

webs Supporting Member

That doesn't describe the problem, though. The problem is that it'll go into runaway oscillation in bypass when it shouldn't, even at some settings (though still w/high swell) that do not self-oscillate when the pedal is on. Note trails are intended in a tautological way, of course it's supposed to do what you describe because that's what trails are, oscillating or no.

It'll go into self-oscillation just sitting there, off, and inject a high whine into the signal. I've had it happen without ever turning the pedal on after power-up, so there was never an intended input signal to cause oscillation even if the pedal was set that way. It's an issue caused by the feature, but it shouldn't be confused with the feature working properly.