GAS... building... might.. explode..

aT19er

So a couple of years ago I got the chance to play a Gibson 339, and since then it's always been on my mind. I'm really GASing for one, but there's some circumstantial things.

1) I'm in college.
2) Already in debt.
3) No job (yet)...

Everything tells me not to try to buy one... but there's about 4 or 5 guitars I could get rid of, pedals to sell, and accessories to get rid of. Plus some "extra" student loan cash.

Please... please.. talk me out of this.

Telecaster62

Think of your future and don't do it!! Nah, go ahead and buy the thing. You only live once and it's obvious you will put it to good use.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I have gone through the gear consolidation a few times. Most recently, I sold 4 guitars and an amp to buy a McCarty. It is in the mail. As long as you realize that the coveted 339 may eventually be on the chopping block, but is your must have currently, go for it.
After 11 years of marriage, I have had to adopt a basically zero expense philosophy to gear. When I earn money I reinvest in the "hobby" and any other new gear is basically one in, one out.
As I get better paying gigs, the gear goes through a process where I end up with 5-7 guitars or surplus amps/effects, then as the gigs thin out, I consolidate into nicer gear.

Ebb and flow.

serviviente7

Dont do it... Kids do and act however they feel like, adults plan their future. A future with minimal debt will allow you become financially wealthy in the long run, THEN buy at your hearts content!

DCFanatic

Silver Supporting Member
Not worth it man! Even with a steady income. Save your $$$. I love my new Taylor 814ce that I bought but I check my bank account balance and look at that hole in my line of credit more often than I get to play it.

Jumpin' Jeff

I finally made it financially, but I'd give anything to go back and buy the guitar of my dreams when I was young enough (healthy enough) to enjoy it. You don't know what the future will bring. If you can buy it now, especially though consolidating what you current have, do it.

Last edited:

karmadave

Gold Supporting Member
Delayed gratification is a key to happiness. Live in the moment. Enjoy what you have instead of desiring what you don't.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
Go ahead and buy it! That way I don't feel so bad about doing the exact same thing! :beer

Arewenotmen?

I've learned that sometimes desiring the guitar is better than owning the guitar. That said, those 339s are pretty nice....

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
I'd rather have one really nice guitar-chord-and amp than a lot of gear I don't really need or use.

aT19er

Aw man.. I think you guys may be right on the part of buying it now while I'm young enough to enjoy it. I've noticed my dad, him having a good collection of guitars, never really plays anymore.

As far as my collection of guitars goes, there's really one other guitar besides my main and an old Fender that I'm really concerned about keeping. Ideally I'd like to have just two guitars.

There's a local version of TGP here; I think I'll stick the extras on the chopping block and see how much I get from that.

Okay, so a bigger question now. If I scratch together the cash, what's my excuse for dropping nearly 2k on a guitar going to be for my parents? I found it in the garbage?

SpaceRock

In my experience don't impulse buy as karma will bite hard, I bought a Classic Player Jazzmaster and the crap hit the fan... it has needed more warranty "repairs" than it ever got played and for a recording project I ended up getting a cheap VM Jazzmaster to finish up the sessions which plays much better than the CP :tapedshut

As far as excuse to parents, "errm, this guitar sounds better than the ones I sold" :)

specialidiot

most likely to seceede
Platinum Supporting Member
I like the part about selling off gear to get more gear, especially in your situation. I'm a lot like TheoDog up there, if I have a few pieces I can turn into something I desire, I go for it.

DON'T mess with your student loan money, find a way. That way you stay on your parent's good side too.

KennethC

Since your dad has a nice collection that he doesn't really touch anymore, maybe you could convince him to trade in one piece, that he has little attachment to, for a 339. Minimal outlay to both parties, and you get what you want. Who knows, you might even get him started on his guitar playing again.

M

Member 37136

As long as you're selling stuff to pay for it, why the hell not? But if you're putting "new" money into it, try to hold off until you save up for it. You'll be happier in the long run.

Oh, and get one with the '59 neck profile. Beautiful piece of wood, that.

Jose Eduardo

I like the part about selling off gear to get more gear, especially in your situation. I'm a lot like TheoDog up there, if I have a few pieces I can turn into something I desire, I go for it.

DON'T mess with your student loan money, find a way. That way you stay on your parent's good side too.
:agree about the student loans

Trending Topics