Gas fire pit opinions please.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by telest, Mar 25, 2015.

1. telest

telest Member

Moving into a new house in June and will have a natural gas line installed for a grill. While I'm at it, I want to have a line for a fire pit as well for the colder months. Anyone have one of these? Are they worth it? Put off enough heat etc...? Thanks!

Steve

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

3. PBC

PBC Member

From an aesthetic point of view I think they are completely worth it, add in that you don't have to bother with starting a fire or cleaning up the ash afterward and I like it. As far as does it put out enough hear, that all depends on the construction of your fire pit/ring itself and the temperature you will be enjoying it in.

4. chrismac99

chrismac99 Member

Although not gas, here are a couple pits I've made. They are made of 46100 armor, so temp is never a problem. :) I've always enjoyed the starting and maintaining aspect of sitting outside by a fire.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Chris those are very nice. Not what I am looking for, but if I was in the market for a wood fire pit I would be very interested, nice work.

6. chrismac99

chrismac99 Member

Thanks Eric. I made one for myself a while back, which turned into half my buddies wanting one. My wife wouldn't let me go "all redneck" with some rocks put in a circle in the back garden. haha So, I had to come up with something a little more pleasing to the eye.

7. rhumbob

rhumbob Supporting Member

Timely question for me as well. we are renovating a big portion of our yard and I was just researching these last night. Look great, seems convenient...but are they functional?

8. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

never thought of a gas line firepit.. sounds like a cool idea.. I was thinking about making a fire ring out of bricks and kinda turning it into a grill somehow to cook also.. but alas.. I have no idea.. the kids would love it to make there own hotdogs.. :)

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I'd like to have one, but I'm thinking they might not work too great on the deck. :bonk

10. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I think the Gas ones are safe to use on a deck.

11. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

We had one at our last house in Illinois. It was nice, fun to sit around when the weather was right for it. You do need to have chairs around it and be close enough to feel it depending on how much heat it puts out. If it's not that cold out, you can sit further away and they are pretty to look at as the fire dances in the glass or whatever.

If you can get one that has the aesthetic you want for the right price, it's not a big deal to have the gas line run while you are doing one anyway. Make sure the fire pit has a separate shut off valve.

12. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

Here is one we made a couple years ago, but it isn't gas fed. Very nice on a cool Fl evening.
    [​IMG]

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

Never heard of a gas fire pit. The thing that would appeal to me, would be east start, and no smoke in your eyes. But I agree with tending the fire is fun.

14. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

Friend of mine made a fire pit out of a huge farm tractor rim. Kinda like the one below.

It is great.

[​IMG]

15. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

:spit

Thanks for that! Made me LOL.

16. RLD

RLD Member

Gas fire pit wouldn't put out the heat like a wood fire but still nice to sit around and B.S.