GAS for a Yamaha?????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pjwill, Feb 4, 2006.

1. pjwill

pjwill Silver Supporting Member

2. HHB

HHB Member

I've almost ordered a SA2200 several times in the last few weeks, I have students w/ Yamaha strat styles that are really really nice and they cost 300 bucks, most Yamaha stuff in nice , from ski's to motorbikes, they seem to have quality as a theme. I'm holding out to try a 2200 in person befrore I pull the trigger but I feel tha Yamaha gas bigtime

3. Izy

Izy Member

Yamaha makes some of the best value for money guitars ever.

The SG2000, SA2200, Yamaha Pacifica 812, 904 and the USA are every bit as good as the US fenders, gibbies if not better.

If i have the cash i would most certainly put the trigger on a Pacifica 904 that i recently tried out. At abt USS$940/- i think its a steal.

But i got my van zandt and US richie sambora sign strat so i had to pass on it.

Life sometimes sucks!

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Member

That is sweet. I have been hoping to run into an AES1500B (kind of a Gretsch type thing) for years.

5. pjwill

I am probably going to pull the trigger...Was wondering about resale if I decide to let it go. I have no idea what the market is like on Yamahas. Would the depreciation be similar to a Fender or Gibson?

Pete

6. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I have a ton of guitars to choose from but I love my Pacifca 912J that I have had since 1992 and it is still the axe I generally use the most. It is the least expensive guitar I own. Those years were actually Warmoth bodies and necks. Yamaha gets big :AOK here.

Peace,
    duffy

7. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I just saw that guitar for the first time yesterday in GUitarist magazine, and immediately began to have those special feelings that guitars can sometimes give us. Guitarist reviews it -- seems like a weird control set-up, with 2 3-way toggles & three volumes pots, but no master volume. That, I have to admit, really doused the special feelings with cold water. It's also supposed to be very heavy, which didn't thrill me.

But it sure is purdy, and it's supposed to sound/play very nice.

8. pjwill

Crazyquilt...Thanks for the info...I will check out Guitarist. I had read about the lack of a MV...Don't really like that. The very heavy part I really do not like. :(

9. Frank B

Frank B Supporting Member

I've got three of the Warmoth/Yamaha USA Pacificas - great guitars. Still dig them.

10. Izy

Izy Member

Frank B,

3 USA Yamaha Pacificas? Wow, thats quite a catch you have there.
    I think some pics are in order here. :)

As to Pete's question about the resale,

IMHO, the resale is not as good as Fenders or Gibsons so you got to be prepared to take a hit if you do not intend to keep the guitar. I think the hit is about 10-30% off the price you orginally paid. I got my used mint condition SA2200 at USD$1.1K. Musicians Friend is selling a new SA2200 at USD$1499. Hope that gives you a rough idea.

11. therealting

therealting Member

Yamaha makes some truly excellent instruments - I have a classical guitar and a 6-string bass from them, and I have come very close to buying an AEX1500 several times. I still want one.