GAS has Reclaimed my Soul

cshore

It's a slippery slope, guys.

For the past 7 or so years, I've been GAS free. I only bought two guitars in that time. That's pretty damn good. I was in music school and gigging and now touring and I was all focused on the music more than the gear (although I've been buying pedals most of that time).

I just needed a new amp. I got the amp (Dr. Z Z-Lux, fantastic amp!), but I have definitely succumbed to residual GAS on the way. I'm experiencing the urge to splurge on gear in a big way.

I want a PRS 594. I want a Suhr Classic Pro, and also a Suhr Classic Pro T. I don't know how it happened. My main guitar is perfect to me and yet here we are. I want them and I want all three. I keep going to Reverb and picking out the one of each that I want and saying "this is the one I will get" like some sort of madman, even though I just spent over 2 grand on a new amp this week.

This can't end well.

Johnny21

Silver Supporting Member
Just get it. You live once. Better to have tried it and said you played than keep thinking about it.

When you get sick of it or don't want it anymore, sell it.

That "loss" (if applicable) is your leasing fee.

Carbohydrates

Just get it. You live once. Better to have tried it and said you played than keep thinking about it.

When you get sick of it or don't want it anymore, sell it.

That "loss" (if applicable) is your leasing fee.
My god, it's like reading my own thoughts. Over the past decade of playing, I've bought and sold dozens and dozens of guitars just in order to have experienced something, and even when I sell at a loss, it's been worth it. At this point in my life I'm getting it down to just a very few keepers, but I don't regret any of the GAS along the way.

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
''Tis the season.

There are a handful of guitars and amps in the emporium I'd LOVE to get my hands on but between being right smack in the middle the gift giving season and sizable home improvements I just can't pull the trigger in good conscience. And by that I mean my wife would likely beat me mercilessly then file for divorce for buying another $2600 guitar or $1500 amp.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
Just buy stuff used when you see a good deal, and then you can always sell it for +/- what you paid.

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
I have bought and sold a lot of guitars. A lot.

I made very good money through my twenties and could subsidize the GAS. Part of that journey was gaining experience and learning what specifically I like. Now that I'm in my early thirties I divert that extra toy money to other things like my growing family, a bigger house etc. and not worrying that Im missing out on the latest and greatest gear.

I place great value in knowing how to be satisfied and my GAS phase helped me get there.

Tldr: embrace it.

Last edited:

Carbohydrates

I place great value in knowing how to be satisfied and my GAS phase helped me get there.
Another really good point! thanks to owning various guitars, I pretty much know exactly what features I gotta have, which I can't stand, and which don't really matter to me. These days, when I buy a guitar, even blindly, I know it'll almost certainly satisfy because I know through experience what I'm going to enjoy.

Also, this thread made me think about every guitar I've owned - I tried to recall them all strictly from memory, not referencing old photos or anything, and came up with 55.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I handle lot of guitars and think 'hey, that's a good one' and I'd like to have it, BUT when you get to the stage of recognizing that you either own something very similar (check your mental inventory) or have tried something similar and discovered, nope, this is not the perfect guitar, after all, it becomes easier to bypass temptation.

With other gear, just flip on Youtube and listen to all the clips that sound WORSE using some shiny new object than you would ever want to sound and you can narrow down the field dramatically.

NoBrakes

I got down to two... PRS CE-22 and a 82' Tele. I had just sold off a bunch of guitars. Then I thought I was missing my Clapton, bought another... ran across a nice LP Standard bought it.. then I got thinking the is too nice for as much as I play a LP and picked up a Studio with plans to sell the Standard... my first plan was the best..PRS and Tele... probably will keep the Strat... Studio can go back to the store and that leaves what to do with the Standard.

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
They're just like colors - every artist needs their range and it is very wide palette. Sometimes you just need that sound.

Suhr guitars are a good start :)

big_aug

If you have the money, just buy it. Sell it later. You'll take a loss, but so what? We all take life for granted. You really could die tomorrow. It's hard to grasp if you haven't really come close to dying. Don't ruin your life spending your money on gear, but if you have the cash, if you can swing it, if it doesn't make you less happy because you ruined your financial situation, then buy it.

Enjoy it. Then sell something and buy something else. I don't keep ANYTHING. When I want something, I sell something that I'm not using much and buy what I want. The cycle continues endlessly. Not just guitars. Everything. I have almost no possessions weighing me down. I get what I want when I want and my finances are perfect even though I don't make much money. I don't let my money waste away in some item I use once in a while.

It's only stuff. It's fun to get new stuff so just do it.

Trending Topics