1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

GAS, how you have smited me

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zestystrat, May 16, 2011.

1. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

:facepalm

(Spoken in a Shakespearian tone) GAS, how you have smited me!!!

AKA The week of GAS that killed my new amp (or gtr) purchase

Ok, so I have been moving a bunch of gear in the last month or so to make a big purchase. Was thinking about an amp or maybe a gtr....really have not decided.

But GAS is a sneaky foe and in one week I made a huge dent in my funds.

First, Brad sends his e-mail blast that Skreddy’s are available at TF….I picked up a SD dlx. Lucky I took a long lunch that day otherwise I would have also bought a LM dlx too (sold out by the time I logged in).

Then, the fine people at Strymon decided Friday was a good time to release the second batch of Lex Rotary pedals, so I was in for one.

Now I’m seriously thinking about picking up an Astro Tone….

I’ll say it again :facepalm

2. goodgodsey

goodgodsey Supporting Member

Would the word be "smitten?"

Or how abouted "smittened" "smitted" or "smootered?"

Anyway you slice it, Strymon has become the Apple of the pedal world. Somehow, it's okay to pay more for their products than you'd be willing to pay for your monthly food budget.

I sympathize, friend. :console

3. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

I probably should have said smote, the past tense of smite....

On Strymon...I don't know, I have a Rotosphere, which may be replaced by the Lex. That pedal is now $500 new vs. $300 new on the Lex and the Vent is in the same ball park as the Roto.

I can't speak to the rest of their line, but the Lex is somewhat competitive for that type of pedal.

Either way, the reality of what can be spent on pedals is getting a little crazy all the way around.

4. Loki

Loki Member

To buy or not to buy...

Hamlet already wondered about the sense of life and if i was you i would start wondering about the sense, too. Indeed you can fight GAS - the will is strong but the flesh is weak.

:bounce

5. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Funniest thread title for a long time, thanks for the laugh mate!

In the same boat, need a new guitar and amp, what do i do? spend my money on pedals ....

6. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

Thx Dan.

Very funny. Sadly there is no definition of need for any of this stuff.

Getting the pedals today!

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I feel a bit similar, each pedal is just a little thing (compared to an amp or guitar) but then you look around and there's a hundred of them (and thousands of dollars)... So, I signed up at Free Stomp Boxes, bought a soldering iron, got to know the folks at BYOC, GGG and Madbean and I'm trying building them myself. So far, it's working out pretty well but the more complicated stuff is harder.

8. crawz

crawz Member

One foot in Shakespeare.... and the other in TGP:
    'Gas... how thou hath smited thee?'
    Perhaps it's a good idea to reaffirm the value of a ground up assessment of what I have going on.
    So...... hands (literal & figurative for the player as a whole) > guitar > amp
    Then build up from there deciding what's really needed with any pedal to get there and feel fully inspired to play in most any situation. (-Pedal Train Mini theorum. Keep it to four pedals including the tuner.) Optimally, pare away anything that's unnecessary. Hence... sell what's not needed. And be super selective about acquiring anything further that I do. This seems an entirely fitting and practical creedo to function with in my app. There have been backward steps/ missteps en route. Live and learn.

9. teleclem

teleclem Member

Gas is a fickle mistress.

10. Loki

Loki Member

@ crawz Great post there, i use the same method for building up a four pedal board :munch

11. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

12. tonejunky

tonejunky Member

I feel you man. I just got FOUR! I said to myself "Hmm these have good resale value.. I'll just 'try' them and then make all my money back." Of course I like all of them...