Gas Pedals Dumb Bell *** First Impressions ***

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LVC, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Vegas Bob

Vegas Bob Supporting Member

I got to play through Duanesworld's Dumb Bell yesterday. Simply the most amp-like touch sensitive pedal I've seen. Can't wait for mine to arrive. Looks like a keeper!

2. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I recently tried a Dumb Bell and I decided to post my impressions here, rather than start a new thread.

This is a great pedal with excellent tones and feel from both channels. Great work Jay! I liked the first channel the best. The second channel had more gain than I prefer, but it's perfect for Santana or David Lindley type Dumble tones, if that's what you like. I did find that I could get more or less the same tones with my GS Red, which also provides more tone shaping capabilities.

Bottom line... if you like Dumble tones, you'll surely like this pedal. I decided to sell mine, because I couldn't get much use out of the second channel, but that's just for my tastes/uses, YMMV.

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I got mine from macaroni. I like the second channel better than the first. Trying to decide if I like the Zendrive 2 better or not. I have never heard a dumble so can't really compare but the zendrive 2 is smoother with less dynamics but the dumbell has something else going on and is very dynamic.

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

Just got mine and played it for five minutes before packing it for a sit in tonight. Liking both channels so far - we'll see how it does on the gig.

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

Gentlemen, we have a winner! :RoCkIn:BEER:AOK:AOK

It ended up being the only OD I used last night - brought a few in case the Dumbbell didn't work out. Didn't even pull the others out of the bag of tricks. At gig volumes and in a band context this thing KILLS - both channels. The brightness that some are hearing in one channel or the other translates into cut right through on a gig - similar to the Carb in that way. Loving this pedal! May have to order another to have one on the board and one ready for grab and go. :crazy

6. Swampash

Swampash Member

Yeah!

Jay has a way of creating instant classics! :BEER

7. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

+10000000 :AOK

8. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

Hmmm...hope it's not too bright for me.

The Carb was. Oh well, I should find out soon.

9. Vegas Bob

The Dumb Bell is absolutely a must have. Mine arrived this afternoon and i cranked it up for over two hours. Here's the verdict. Get one now before you have to wait two years. Once the word gets out and you get to use one live you'll have to have one.

The Dumb Bell is the most amp-like pedal I've ever heard. It has filled a gap in the sounds I've been chasing for a long time. My set up is a '65 Super with Mojo speakers, guitars are a great Johnny A. and a 56 Reissue Strat.

The Dumb Bell worked incredibly well with both the single coils and the humbuckers. The same sweet spot setting which for me was at 5.5.

It made both guitars and the amp sound...well, just better. Very transparent, touch sensitive just like a cranked amp. Even though the only control on the pedal is the volume by using your volume and tone controls on the guitar you can easily dial in a amazing variety of high quality tones.
    Combined with the touch sensitive nature of the pedal you can go from clean to crunch/break-up to great lead tones.

The clarity and note separation even when cranked guarantees that in a live situation you'll cut through the mix. I use it in my studio but at higher than bedroom volumes. Extreme satisfaction.

Next it's time to see what I can find mixing it like duanesworld...

Thanks Jayson for a great tool and toy!

10. mprvise

mprvise Member

My prediction is you will dig the second channel more, and that alone will be enough to keep it. I haven't put the Carb and Dumbbell side by side yet, so it may not be AS bright as the Carb, but I heard some "Carbiness" in channel 1 Saturday night. I'll get some side by side going on tonight.

BTW - I let a bandmate use mine at a rehearsal yesterday. If he wasn't a family man on a tight budget with an amp on order already Jay would have another Dumbbell to build.

11. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

I think may I have come into posession of the carb that was built for you - the clint eastwood. It's my main od, i love it! The dumbbell is fantastic and with the boost setting on the carb driving the dumbbell it is pure bliss:JAM

12. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Where can this be ordered from again?

13. arfalax

arfalax Member

jay@gaspedals.net

Got mine today as well and fired it up with my Soultone Wilbur for a quick tryout. Instant D style singing sustain on an EL84 amp. Gonna really get with it later tonight but if you are on the fence, order one. And did I say quiet? Killer pedal, I'm glad I got in early on this one. :AOK

14. Vegas Bob

It is a really quiet pedal. I'd love to hear it through an EL84 amp.

15. Grant Ferstat

Yep, that Clint carb was mine!

I really liked the general tonality of it but I need a little more top end roll- off for my boosts. It was a close thing though so I'm hoping that the Dumb Bell will work for me.

16. Grant Ferstat

Hopefully I'll be getting to do that any day with my 65 London and my AC30.

17. Cory

Cory Guest

The Dumbell I have is INCREDIBLE!! I love it's sound. I've played it through a host of amps and guitars and they all sound great. This is one of the best pedals I've come across in a really long time. It is for sure a mainstay on my board. Hats off to Jay!!

18. Cory

Cory Guest

Couldn't agree more!!!!

19. Vegas Bob

The Dumb Bell is awesome on its own but I'm finding out it works very well with other pedals. It's easily the best purchase for 2008 so far.

20. Cory

Cory Guest

Same for me!!! I've been messing around with it and various pedal combinations and it works really well with other pedals. I am really impressed with this pedal. I love its simplicity.