GAS satisfied, time to return to Australia to live

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bgwicks, Mar 22, 2008.

1. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

After 3 years lving in Evansville Indiana, it is time to return to Sydney Australia. During my time I have bought about 40 guitars, and they are all coming home with me. Here are six of my best: 61 tennee, 58 strat, 58 special, 68 335, 66 jazzmaster, 63 strat.:dude

[​IMG]

2. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

Very happy to be going back to Australia. We come from Sydney, so we are going home. We are looking forward to the weather, and the beaches. Not so much the cost of living and the traffic.

3. loiking

loiking Member

How much is that gonna cost you to bring them back into Australia? And thats a lot of investment grade instruments!! You must be ****in loaded?

4. paulscape

paulscape Member

Whats the go with customs on the way back? Any costs?

5. pennylink

pennylink Member

Good luck returning to Oz. You should have no trouble making new friends with that mighty fine guitar collection :)

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Heh, I take it that you were not here on a student visa. :D

Emee

7. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

They are coming back in crates as part of our personal belongings. They will go in a shipping container with our other stuff. As for customs, we don't pay GST as we have been US residents for the last three years. In respect to duty, the 2004 free trade agreement between the US and Australia removed all duty on US made guitars moving to Aust, and vice versa. As for being loaded that is a relative term, however the last three years have been very good to us. The cost of living in South West Indiana is extremely low. Plus in the midwest you can still find great guitars still with their original owners. This does not seem to be the case on the East or West coast, or down south. I took advantage of this. Also the prices have been down on vintage guitars in the last 2 years. Lastly with exchange rates the way they are it sucks to take cash back to Australia. Overall it was just a combination of factors which made the buying of these beautiful instruments possible.

8. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Nice score sir.............what other amps do you have to plug into besides the TRRI ?:BEER

9. damo7v

damo7v Member

You're a man after my own heart! I'm originally from Sydney myself, and while I miss it terribly, I console myself with the excellent deals to be had on guitars/everything-except-weather up here.

Have a Crownie for me!

10. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

I mainly just use a blues junior. I really haven't got into the amps here as the power difference in Australia would make it difficult. When I get home I hope to do some trading to upgrade amps.

11. 5E3

5E3 Member

Very versatile combination in just those 6 guitars! :AOK

12. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Whatever you do, make sure you buy up on strings before you come back! I actually buy my strings direct from the US now because they are sooooo much cheaper.

13. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

Thanks Jimmy, I have been raiding the local shops buying up.