GASing for a Jackson Soloist

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gallery, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Been listening to a lot of Anthrax and Slayer lately.

Any Soloist owners care to weigh in on your experience, how you like yours, and what types of music you play?

2. schristie

schristie Supporting Member

John Mayer digs em....you sure you want to jump on that train ?

Ok now for the real answer. Great playing shredder guitars. I had one from 88-91. Bright clear tone due to the maple neck thru construction with ebony board.

3. Gallery

I figured the Mayer thing would come up. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've listened to his music. I just never bothered as none of it appealed to me.

Basically I want a shredder guitar. I haven't owned one since probably '98 or so. The soloist was the shredder I always wanted, but I ended up with BC Rich's.

4. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

I had one and I wish i still owned it. Believe it or not it had kind of a Les Paul Custom feeling neck with the ebony board and super low action. It was just a very solid shred machine. Well made.

5. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

My 06 soloist... I play mostly rock but it will cover a lot of territory, sonically...

[​IMG]

6. Kashmir Oceania

Kashmir Oceania Supporting Member

I owned a soloist, it had the most comfortable neck I've ever played! The only reason I sold is it I could not get along with the Floyd, Kahlers for me.

7. Gallery

Beautiful!!!

I am definitely getting a hard tail. I don't like vibratos/tremolos whatever you want to call that whammy bar bridge thingy that goes out of tune and gets in my way.

8. DM426

DM426 Member

I had one of the Chris Broderick soloists, and that's my only experience with Jackson. But if that's representative of their general quality, then I'll definitely buy another eventually as that guitar was pure badassery.

9. bkatx

bkatx Member

I had one recently and really liked it except I found the neck too flat. I eventually moved it because I didn't play it much but the fit and finish was exceptional. I've never played any of their import stuff but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a USA Jackson again. It was a fantastically well put together guitar.

10. blackmonday

blackmonday Member

I have an SL2H in black, no fancy graphics. It is an amazing guitar. The 2H in the model name refers to 2 humbuckers. There is also an SL1, which is a humbucker + 2 single coil pickups. I would imagine that is a more versatile guitar, but I bought mine used and got an amazing deal so no complaints!

It looks just like this:

[​IMG]

11. blackmonday

blackmonday Member

BTW if you hate floyds:

[​IMG]

12. Bobbyb

Bobbyb Member

Not really in the market for a Jackson (however, I'd hit a Charvel San Dimas with a quickness!!) so I'm just asking out of curiosity, looking at the various models of the soloist can become dizzying. Is there a good resource or can someone give me a quick and dirty low down on what the differences are and why some are crazy expensive and others aren't?

Follow up curiosity question....how do the Grover Jackson Washburns compare to soloists?

I'll never understand how metal guys palm mute with all those Floyd Roses. Granted I don't practice it enough as I don't play that but every time I put my palm on one, even lightly the pitch changes. I see some of those guys tearing it slap up, though.

13. woodbury

woodbury Supporting Member

I used to own a brand new 2011 USA Soloist SL1 - my dream guitar growing up. It was flawless and nicely made for the price.

Great neck. Super versatile. Unfortunately, the headstock no longer fitted my style so I had to reluctantly trade it away.

14. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Had six of them over the years. Love the neck but they peg you as an 80's shredder.

15. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

16. Millul

Millul Member

If they wouldn't cost me a kidney (Europe...meh) I'd be buying a SL2HT in a heartbeat...!
    Consider also the ESP Horizon: amazing quality!

17. Sauntman

Sauntman Member

I've been looking into Pro Series Dinkys and Soloists myself lately. Specifically, hardtail versions with 2 humbuckers. Other than the Dinkys have bolt on necks, what are the other differences between the two?

18. Gallery

[​IMG]

Very cool with the pickguard. I've never seen a pickguard on a soloist before.

19. Gallery

I've been looking at these two new for 2015 Dinky models. I haven't owned a non-USA made guitar in about 20 years, but these are tempting me.

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

Love my '85 Soloist! I'll never sell it!

[​IMG]