GASing for a new amp - Reeves vs. HIWATT

Kenny D

I definitely want the HIWATT sound and I understand that Reeves was the originator of the famous HIWATT tone. Both sound great.

Anyone play both? Any recommendations as to one or the other?

Anything I should know?

mcdyas

Gold Supporting Member
I think it is generally considered best to get a vintage Hiwatt or a recent Reeves with a new Hiwatt being clearly the third choice

Starsailor

Reeves Amplification have no association with Dave Reeves. They use the name Reeves because Fernandes owns the Hiwatt name in the States. But that's beside the point. Great amps! If you want a new amp, Reeves are the way to go. Love my Custom 50!

twangbanger

Having not played a Hi Watt for many years I can't directly compare, But having recently played a Reeves custom 50 that belongs to a friend. I was very impressed w/ it's huge cleans.just a great sounding amp. Too loud for my use though.

Kenny D

Reeves Amplification have no association with Dave Reeves. They use the name Reeves because Fernandes owns the Hiwatt name in the States. But that's beside the point. Great amps! If you want a new amp, Reeves are the way to go. Love my Custom 50!
I'd like to hear more about that Custom 50. What guitar/pedals do you use with it? That's the one I have my eye on.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Reeves are the best current Hiwattish amps. Harry Joyce or Audio Bros also made some quality Hiwatt clones. It's too bad old Hiwatts went up in price so quickly, they used to be a bargin for the money not all that long ago!

callaway_1

Harry Joyce amplifiers have a web page of when Harry was in Hiwatt.

He left in 1976 out of disagreement with manufacturing techniques.

Here is the link: www.harryjoycerocks.com

I am saving for one of those amps.

That is complete BS.
I have over three hours of recorded interviews with Harry Joyce. Harry wired for HIWATT until the end of 1984. I have copies of his invoices to HIWATT from november 1984.

v-verb

What would a ballpark price be for a 1974 Hiwatt 4 holer Custom 50 - in say 8.5 /10 condition - all orig?

Just curious and no I'm not selling!

treedroppings

That is complete BS.
I have over three hours of recorded interviews with Harry Joyce. Harry wired for HIWATT until the end of 1984. I have copies of his invoices to HIWATT from november 1984.
I looked up the hiwatt page in your sig, and you are probably right. Thanks for your correction.

Trending Topics