• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

GASing for a shred machine

metronome

Lately I've getting back into 80s hair metal,cheesy rock EVH stuff, Paul Gilbert shred stuff etc. I have been spending a fair amount of time working the Intense Rock 1 licks and trying to learn lots of Van Halen stuff.

Unfortunately, I am stuck playing 1 of my 3 main axes which are blues/classic rock guitars.

My dream shred machine would be a basswood body, maple neck, Dimarzio Tone Zone or PAF Pro bridge pup, PAF Pro neck pup, stainless frets. Either a floyd or fixed bridge and locking tuners. I'm not huge into wanmy stuff so I could skip the pain of the Floyd.

I'm really going for this kind of plunky sounding vibe shown in the Remy Hansen video below at about 1:12:

Is there an RG or Charvel or something that fits my bill for under 1200? I'd buy the PGM301 but I think it is prob too pricey for what it is. Would be nice to get locking tuners and stainless frets at that price point in my opinion.

Any other tips? Im rolling off the tone a bit and picking with the side to get the swipey thing going but it just doesnt pop or sound heavy on my blues guitars.

Last edited:

monty

Older Wolfgang Special and sell pups for pups of your choice(try the stock ones first)

wox

Silver Supporting Member
Also, if you aren't familiar, I recommend the Troy Grady "Cracking the Code" videos.

The guy kind of reverse-engineers 80s shred playing, breaking down the right hand movements of a bunch of greats.

You can watch some of the content for free but when you buy the $55 package, you get a ton of super slow-mo videos and tabs. I've been having a lot of fun with it, have learned a lot, and it's sort of codified why certain things I do work, and why certain things don't. I now know I never really paid enough attention to my picking hand.

http://troygrady.com/pickslantingprimer/

sonofiam

Ibanez JS1000 or above. Can be found used under your budget on a regular basis. Very comfortable neck carve, like a thinner strat profile, and come loaded with Dimarzios. Satriani's signature pickups are similar to the PAF with a bit more mid range and bite. Pickups vary depending upon guitar model. The JS600 is the only hardtail I believe but doesn't have Dimarzios. As far as the Floyd type bridge, they use the Edge tremolo on the JS1000 or above and is one of the most stable I've ever used. I have a JS2400 and it's the best of any Floyd equipped guitars I've owned.

JES1680

Silver Supporting Member
Man have I been down this road. Trying to re-capture my youte. I've tried Peavey EVH, Jackson Soloist, LP Axcess, Kramer Stagemaster (like I had in 89), etc... on and on. I currently have a Flying V with Floyd and it's ok but still not quite what I'm looking for. I think the only thing that will satisfy my 80's jones is an early 90's Tom Anderson. I had a 97 Drop Top classic with floyd and switcheroo and stupidly sold it years ago.

metronome

Thanks for the suggestions on axes.

I also really enjoyed the Troy Grady Stuff!

JES1680:yeah this stuff is a blast. If I may end up going with a premium builder like you but I might just grab a mass production since they are so much cheaper.

luv

I've got a Peavey USA Wolfgang Special in the emporium!

Last edited:

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
Find a good deal on a music man Luke 3 HH. I love the pickups, very vintage sounding, the trem is awesome (I play EVH on it), the pickups are super versatile and the boost is awesome. Find one that's a solid color.

Che_Guitarra

Skip the Floyd if you're even 'slightly' unsure about them. If you don't use them for their intended purpose they'll prove to be unnecessary bulk/obstacles at the nut and the bridge. They'll also add extra setup complication that is completely avoidable.

I built a couple of shredders via Warmoth parts, thinking Floyds are a mandatory part of the shred equation. If you're an established player, it's unlikely you'll find much use for them in your repertoire... except for use as an occasional gimmick. And that's the only time I use them - when i've had a few beers and feel like murdering a few Dimebag solos.

My point being if I built these guitars again I would opt for hardtail or a regular strat style tremolo.

Sensates

An RG and a Charvel are quite different in terms of sound and feel. I have numerous Japanese Ibanezes over the years only to find that my hands fatigued much easily on their thin necks. So I stayed away from "shred" guitars until I found a USA production Charvel that has a very comfortable neck. Tonally I also much prefer the Charvel's alder/maple-JB/59 combo to any basswood Prestiges Ibanezes I have owned.

Try playing them all to see which one you prefers. Charvel now has a Mexican production series with hard tails and the reviews are pretty good (still I prefer USA ones, a bargain if you can find any used!)

lowyaw

My dream shred machine would be a basswood body, maple neck, Dimarzio Tone Zone or PAF Pro bridge pup, PAF Pro neck pup, stainless frets. Either a floyd or fixed bridge and locking tuners. I'm not huge into wanmy stuff so I could skip the pain of the Floyd.
Ibanez Prestige RG
check ibanezrules.com, he also sells used ones

ksandvik

Ibanez Prestige, such as the RG655 or any of the JS guitars where the JS24 is sleeper, great guitar, affordable and pure shred. Note most shredder guitars have Floyd Rose, comes with the territory.

sharpjimbo

PAF Pro in the bridge is an excellent choice for the sound that you're after - it's not too hot and provides enough clarity and separation for Gilbert style lines.

The yellow and blue soloist in the middle - I've got a PAF Pro in the bridge and a HS-3 (what used to be in the Malmsteen strats before he jumped ship to Seymour Duncan) - I LOVE this combo for this kind of sound.

AdmiralB

If you're an established player, it's unlikely you'll find much use for them in your repertoire... except for use as an occasional gimmick.
That was the case with me...I've often thought this, but I've never heard anyone else actually say it. I didn't get access to a locking vibrato until 1984, when I put a Kahler on my Washburn A-20 (ruining it, more or less, but that's not important). But I was 16 and had been playing for five years...and I never really incorporated it. It was always something to push on at the end of a phrase...just an effect.

Hackdog69

Gold Supporting Member
That was the case with me...I've often thought this, but I've never heard anyone else actually say it. I didn't get access to a locking vibrato until 1984, when I put a Kahler on my Washburn A-20 (ruining it, more or less, but that's not important). But I was 16 and had been playing for five years...and I never really incorporated it. It was always something to push on at the end of a phrase...just an effect.
I did the EXACT same thing to an A10. The Kahler was never right on that guitar, it should have been sunk in the body but I didn't have he cash for the extra routing... Action was never right after... I was 15 lol

AdmiralB

I did the EXACT same thing to an A10. The Kahler was never right on that guitar, it should have been sunk in the body but I didn't have he cash for the extra routing... Action was never right after... I was 15 lol
Yep. I traded it for a new P bass about a year later; not long after that I saw another used A-20 with a Kahler, but it was recessed. I smacked my head - it had never occurred to me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom