Gaspedal Carb on ebay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by QOTSA, May 19, 2006.

1. QOTSA

QOTSA Senior Member

2. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Wicked graphic on that one ..

3. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I got mine the other day. There was a bit of a problem with the bypass switch (it wasn't bypassing) so I emailed Jayson and he's taking care of it. Really cool guy.

As for the pedal:

Is it amp like? Yes!! Very much so. Carb will sound like your amp and guitar cranked to 11 if you want it to. This isn't a "dirt" box. I A/B'd it against a Hotcake, Direct Drive and a Rangemaster and this has a completly different tone than all three. It's much cleaner. Sounds like the amp you are playing, with the volume turned up. Doesn't really color your tone much at all. It's most similar to a rangemaster, but the bottom end is tighter, and the range of tone is controlled at the guitar, not at the box.

Is it useable as a boost? Yep!

What pedal does it sound like? I'd say, this is the closest pedal I've heard to a Klon. It's not quite as beefy, but it has a lot more gain on tap.

Is it a treble booster? Could be, but it has more to offer... definatly has more gain than your common treble booster. I plugged it direct=> Strat => Carb => AC30 and I immediatly had that "Hells Bells" Angus Young tone without the volume.... and while playing a Fender! the pedal sounded equally good with a '69 Paul and my 93 Heritage H140CM

Is it too Dark/Too Bright? No. It's as dark or bright as you make it. This pedal is interesting cause I don't know of many OD's, "the Klon", that retain a guitars tone. I haven't played Tim/Timmy, so I can't compare It feels more like a clean boost than any of my OD's. The bottom end is incredibly tight in comparison to my rangemaster clone. I thought the lack of tone knob would affect the pedal, but it seems to meld well to any instrument/guitar setting I had to try it with.

What's the box like size wise? - It's a bit bigger than your standard small box. It stands taller than my other boxes, and is a touch bigger than most of the small boxes (hotcake/ranger). Overall, I thought this pedal sounded great, and is definatly making its way into my rig.

4. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

FWIW I totally agree with the review posted above. I just sent Jay the following email after snagging one of those first ten:

Jay,

Your pedal is absolutely killer, does exactly what I hoped. I just noodled around with it for 20 minutes or so, I need to record a bunch of acoustic guitars today so I don't want to blow my ears out first thing in the morning.

Tried it with a really great sounding Fender Vibro Champ (Weber P8Q speaker) that generally works great with fuzzes and super-affected tracks. Definitely pulled some nice tones quickly. Brings sparkle and personality to a good but fairly neutral sounding amp.

But then I fired up my #1 amp, basically a really incredible AC-15 clone loaded with a single Vox Blue. WOW! This pedal marries to this amp so well. I'm way into subtle shades and texture, and love touch sensitivity with a bit of sag. Your Carb totally delivers, the Germanium brings what for me is the perfect vibe. The rhythm tones with the guitar volume rolled back are just great, very reminiscent of a good Fuzz Face used the same way.

I don't play out much at this point, but I can easily imagine an AC15 or AC30 with a carb in front of it working for a whole live set, just riding the guitar's volume knob to achieve a clean to dirty continuum.

FWIW the guitar I used to test drive the carb is my #1 grab-and-go, an early 90's Paul Reed Smith strat-style guitar with real 60's middle and neck pickups and a TV Jones FilterTron in the bridge. Huge palette of tones available with this one guitar, amp and pedal.

The other cool thing is that this pedal is pretty much dead quiet at all settings, and isn't picking up any RF, which can sometimes be a problem because my studio sits very near a big FM broadcast tower.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I'm a very happy camper. Thanks for going to the trouble to build such a great sounding (and looking) appliance.

Best regards,

michael dukes

5. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

Thanks guys for your positive reviews and kind words!

Bulldog, I checked the post office yesterday morning but didnt see it. Ill check again tomorrow. Probably just a bad switch. I checked all the carbs before they left the shop but every once in a while you'll get an intermittent 3PDT. Ill get it right back to you so you can put it to use.

Peace-Jayson

6. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Man guys, now I really hope mine shows up tomorrow.
    Mail......too....SLOW!!!!!:D

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Well I got mine Saturday and it sound great. Has a very nice range, works best if you have your stuff dialed in fairly close to break up (for me) at that point you can use it as a nice transparent boost or dirt boost. Gain it up and it can do rock to hard rock with great sustain and feedback scream. It is a brighter sounding pedal which is right in my department of what I prefer, the switch doesn't (to my ear) significantly alter that but you do hear a bit more bass.
    I put it up against my Tube Slammer Deluxe from CMATMODS and well the CMATMODS can do EXACTLY the same stuff. They Chained well too. But the Tube Slammer doesn't have a clean boost region, it's gain and volume go up further then the Carb. Volume btw has a great range on both pedals, can go from downboost to over the top boost. The Deluxe version with Tone/Presence Mid/Symmetry switch has a lot more variation then the Carb or my regular Tube Slammer. I lend out my regular tube slammer so I can't compare it against that unfortunately. (But the Tube Slammer is TS based vs. Rangemaster)
    One thing I think the Carb has extra, it sounds a little more lively, it pushes up the presence a bit automatically? And I think in that sense the Carb probably sounds exactly like my regular Tube Slammer which in my opinion is the best OD I've ever tried. One slight drawback, gain knob is scratchy (a hiss as you adjust it)
    I'm very excited about this Carb, it ranks way up there as a TOP NOTCH pedal with some awesome tone and as I mentioned this can boost as well as OD, can't wait to try it on our Church system.
    I tried the pedal with both an LP and Tele btw, would've tried the strat if I had the time.

8. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

Thanks for the review Pai!
    Ill have to see if any of my buddies has a tube slammer so I can check one out. Seems strange that you say it can do exactly what the carb can because if it is based on a JRC4558 than I have no idea how they could do that. Ive messed with that chip a bit and it really behaves quite differently than the trannies Im using in the carb. The TS circuit also has a lot more parts which I think dulls the tone, but then perhaps they cut some of that out for the slammer. I would imagine your slammer would be considerably more compressed? Is there a website for that pedal?

Peace-Jay

PS Let me know what you think after you play it with the band.

9. r9player

check out www.cmatmods.com and go to the Effect there is a clip.
    The Slammer is a little less lively a little less up front vs. the carb, but add a comp and I think they are exactly the same.
    The OD sound and range is very similar. I'd say the Carb goes from 0 to 12 and the Slammer goes from 4 to 16 in "overdrive sound"

I actually was expecting a very different sound as well, but they are (to my ear) incredibly similar.

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Now that Im back from my vacation, and had some more time with the little monster that is CARB, I felt a more detailed review is in order....

To my ear, this is the most natural sounding OD I've ever played. It holds tight to the tone of your guitar and amp, and doesn't add much in the way of color. It's similar to a Klon OD but less beefy. It's more of a amp-like boost than your typical ODs (tubescreamers, plexi boosts, rangemasters). For me, this pedal really is a dream come true. It's the kind of pedal that I just wanna leave on all the time cause it really pairs well with the natural tone of my guitar and amp.

How have I tested it and compared it? In my current collection, I have a PCE Ranger, a Direct Drive, a Hot Cake and now the CARB (i preformed this test with the switch on the bass setting). I used an American Standard Strat. The amp used is a '93 AC30 (greenbacks) with all the chicken heads turned to halfway, and using a hotplate, I tried each pedal at different volumes with the amp... running them alone in between guitar and amp, and then moved them around in a chain systematically, listening to them in a variety of positions.

So how does CARB compare?

The Ranger tends to be a tinny sounding pedal. Every rangemaster I've ever tried was this way (Java Boost, HBE). The bottom end is sloppy and gets pretty hissy/messy especially with more volume. Really gets out of control noisewise when stacked. There tends to be some germanium hiss present at all levels, but especially when cranked. CARB has almost no hiss at all levels (both volume and gain). It has a tighter bottom end that doesn't break up like the rangemaster. Also there seems to be a bit more mid presence in Carb... The tighter bottom end seems to come from a bit more mid presense, and a backing off of the noisey portion notorious in rangemasters. So the pedal has a touch less bass than other of it's type, but at louder volumes, seems to maintain a respectable (and less noisey) bottom end.

The Direct Drive is more of a tubescreamer meets plexi type OD than a natural boost. In lower settings, it can simulate the tone of the CARB in low gain settings, albeit a bit less natural than CARB. On its upper end, the DD seems less natural, but also thinner than CARB. I found that when comparing them, the CARB does a much better job of retaining your guitars tone than DD, although DD can get you into the plexi territory that CARB doesn't really reach.

Now, as for the Hotcake, well, this is a tough comparision, not only due to the nature of the beast (that is hotcake) but also because of my love for this very amp like high gain OD. To me, CARB and Hotcake are very similar animals. They both do a great job of retaining the guitar and amp's tone (keeping in mind what rig Im using). Hotcake has a lot more gain than CARB, but still does a good job of sounding like the guitar naturaly OD'ing. So, Hotcake is a dirtier amp-like sounding OD which leans to higher volume breakup tones (without the volume) while CARB is a cleaner sounding amp-like OD that sounds more like lower breakup settings.

The Verdict: CARB and Hotcake are the only OD's on my board, and Im pretty sure that's how its going to remain. They sound best amongst all the pedals I've tried at all volumes. I'm currently running the Hotcake into the CARB, and using the Carb and/or Hotcake as a lead boost to the other pedal's rhythm tone. The two stack wonderfully together and with an EQ and a fuzz, im able to pretty much achieve any natural amp-like gain tone I could need. I'm not really interested in tones that don't sound natural, so I can't say how these CARB would work in experimental rigs, but In my opinon, CARB is a wonderful low to medium gain amplike OD, that should pair up well with any amplifier and guitar due to its tight, clean nature, and seems to play well with other effects

11. r9player

Nice review! Love the Carb.

12. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Thanks R9player. Something I wanted to add after I read through my review.... I wanted to make sure people understand that Im using the brilliant channel, the top boost channel. I think I came down a bit harsh on the treble boosters Ive mentioned, which wasn't intended. They do sound tinny when using the TB channel, but when played through the normal channel, the effect has more depth and is much smoother. I've just found over the several years I've played an AC30 that I prefer the brilliant channel. CARB sounds equally good in either channel of my amplifier. I find it similar in tone to my PCE Ranger when plugged into the normal channel (with bass switch off), but far less noisey with a tighter bottom end into the brilliant channel. It doesn't have quite the treble kick or the germanium tone of the ranger when used in the normal channel. I think Something about the brilliant channel really draws out the bad in a rangemaster. It sounds slick into the normal channel. Just not quite my cup of tea. Anyways, I wanted to make it clear that I really liked the ranger when it was plugged into the normal channel. I just hope my review was helpful to anyone interested in any of the aforementioned units.

13. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

Yep, I'm still in love as well. I agree with all the positives mentioned above, and for me the pedal has absolutely no negatives. Just a brilliant sounding and versatile piece of gear. Hope Jay's stuff catches on, for Jay's sake and for the players who will benefit. The Carb is definitely a magical appliance.

14. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Bupm for curiosity...any more thoughts, anyone? :)

15. HellRot

HellRot Supporting Member

old love... just come on home now... looking for Gaspedals Carb Boost OverDrive Pedal