Gaspedal CARB opinions????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BudLite, Jul 7, 2006.

1. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Hey guys, Who is using the new Carb pedal...How do you like ?
    Is it simular to a Cot 50? Anyone playing a strat though a BFDR
    that has tried this pedal out. Thanks

2. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I have a Carb really like it, great lively sound (I think added presence might be the right term) also works great as a boost.
    Do a search plenty of things have been said.
    I don't own a COT 50 sorry.

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have one coming that should be here tomorrow. I'll be playing it with a strat through my Fargen Blackbird. I'll let you know.

4. aquadog

aquadog Member

Don't know about the pedal, but I've done business with the builder before and he is a really nice and honest guy.

5. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

I had one on loan for awhile. It rules. Killer.
    It's killing me not to have it, but it should be here soon. :)

6. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

I have a Carb and had a COT 50 when I got it so I was able to compare the two.They are somewhat similar tonewise,with the COT being slightly brighter.More control is available with the Carb with the volme control and the bass boost toggle switch. Both are great pedals.
    The COT had such a huge volume jump it was tough to get unity volume if I wanted to switch to other pedals on my board. 2:00 and above on the COT were great sounds,but holy cow it was loud.
    I'm using the CARB through a '65 Super Reverb With a Strat or Tele. It pushes the Super into nice drive by itself and stacks nicely with a fuzz in front of it.

7. Sid

Sid Member

how much does a carb go for now???:roll

8. cbpickin

$199 on Jay's website. Gaspedals.com, I think.

9. Sid

Sid Member

damn i missed the first 10:D

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

http://gaspedals.net

It's worth every penny......

11. Sid

Sid Member

heck its worth it for the graphics alone...

I might be blind but those are the best looking pedals i have ever seen:dude
    (except maybe for eroticFX):eek:

12. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I just got mine yesterday and used it at rehearsal last night. I play a tele through a Top Hat Club Royale (EL84's). I know it's early and I'm just starting my little honeymoon phase, but to say I was pleased would be an understatement. I'm going through a thing right now where I'm trimming down my board and trying to get by with just relying on my amp and guitar volume knob more. I'm determined to get by with one OD/boost and a fuzz. I think the Carb is gonna occupy the OD/Boost spot. :cool:
    I set my amp to a nice crunch with the guitar volume on 10, and I used the Carb for leads and for extra oomph on power chords. I definitely like the toggle switch on the Carb to the right (original Carb sound), I had the volume set for a little bit above unity and the gain at around 1-2 o'clock, it has great presence and punch and matches my amp settings very well, meaning I didn't find myself wishing the Carb had a tone control. It was also very dynamic and responsive to the guitar volume control.
    I think it functions a bit like a Klon in that it excels at giving you more of your original sound, but it doesn't have as much midrange tonal coloration as the Klon has. I also tried it for a bit with the amp set dead clean, and the OD coming just from the Carb was a lot more pleasing than what you would get from a Klon in the same situation, IMO, YMV etc.

13. Sid

Sid Member

Im under the impression now that it works best with overdriven amps...not with clean amps..:messedup

14. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

Mine sounds best into my Z28, with the Z set just on the verge of breaking up. I was leaving the Carb on almost all the time, just rolling back the git' volume to clean up a hair. A Keeley modded TS9 into the Carb made for a really nasty lead tone.:dude
    I miss the Carb alot. I can't wait until mine is ready.

15. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

The Carb pedals rocks! I've shown it off to a few friends and NO ONE can stop talking about how cool it is and how they need to get one REAL QUICK!

I typically play Strats with Fralins into either a Goodsell Super 17 or a Fargen Miniplex Combo........SIMPLY AN AWESOME PEDAL...PERIOD!

16. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

One thing I've noticed is alot of people have said that the CARB is bright... I personally don't think it's bright... to me, it just has a certain clarity about it that other OD's don't have. There's no muddiness to it's OD. The clarity resembles the treble end of a rangemaster.... but Id say it carries that clarity into the mids and bass, which a rangemaster always seemed to leave muddy (IMO).

I like to think of it as a lemon lime soda, amongst an overabundence of: Cola's, rt.beers, pibbs, etc. Its very clear so you can see through it, but it packs a punch, just like the others. That clearness (clarity-prescence) can seem bright, but it's really simply opened up the tone, and not weighed it down with lots of syrup and coloring... I hope that analogy doesn't sound crazy. Made perfect sense in my head....

17. Sid

Sid Member

lolz i take that back...GASPEDAL CARB is the best looking pedal out ther..

what about custom graphics??International Shipping??

Does it cover sonic territory close to a Screwdriver ??

18. cbpickin

No, it doesn't cover the same territory as the Screwdriver. The Screwdrive has a lot of gain on tap.
    Of all the od/boosts I've heard, it is closest to a COT50. I spent quite a while a/b'ing mine with my china COT yesterday. The Carb does have some really clarity to the tone, even when getting gritty. The volume knob is a bonus too. I always wish the COT had a volume knob, but Sean says the circuit doesn't work well with one. As far as brightness, it is similar to the COT, but it is really more of a clarity thing. It pretty much sounds just like my amp kicked up a notch. Most other OD's color the tone or darken it up a little bit. Even the most transparent usually put a little tonal stamp on your sound. The Carb really is pretty clear and transparent. I like the soda analogy earlier in this thread.
    With the toggle switch, the tone can be changed quite a bit also. So far, I prefer it all the way to the right (stock Carb sound), but the fatter bottom is cool also.

19. Sid

Sid Member

thanks a lot man....and jay from gaspedals just sent me a pic of a marilyn monroe pedal...grab it up boys...tis a hot hot pedal:BluesBros

20. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Wow thanks for recommending this one guys! However, IMO it does NOT do KLON or Cmatmods Tubeslammer sounds. It is VERY dynamic to pick attack and volume control on guitar. Nice amp on verge of breakup quality that doesnt alter your base tone too much, just adds a little sparkle or clarity to the sound that is beautiful. If you use the bass boost toggle it really fattens the amp up to use at low volumes. It was too much with the amp cranked though (as Jay said it would probably be).