Gaspedal Carb!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by E-Rock, Jun 23, 2006.

1. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

I just found a sweet new pedal!
    A friend of mine who does tech work told me about a new pedal designer in Seattle. She brought one in, (a prototype, I think) and it ROCKS!
    I spent some time with it last night plugged into my Z28. I'm not sure how to describe this pedal. It will get crunchy at high gain, but I love it set with just a little "hair" on it, but more of a boost. Man, into my Z last night, I was really enjoying it. Makes the amp even more responive to dynamics. With a light touch, the clean sound is totally bad ass. Great character.
    With the volume up, I was getting some killer Pete Townsend type crunch. Super punchy, tight, lots of harmonics.
    I have to give this pedal back, but I am going to buy one as soon as possible. I think it earned a spot on my main board. :AOK

2. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Check in the manufacturer forum, the guy who makes them (Jay) posts here on the TGP.

3. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

4. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

Sweet, thanks guys! Yeah, the one I'm using right now must be a prototype.
    It has sliders instead of pots. Cool!
    Anyone else using one of these? If so, is anyone stacking it with anything else? I will still want to have something for long legato/endless sustain type lead work. Guess it's time to rip the board apart again :)

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

haha yes welcome to the club, glad you dig your Carb!

6. erksin

erksin Member

Okay - who can compare the Carb with the CoT50..?

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Or a KLON. I would like know as well!

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Damnit that REALLY makes me want one..... :Devil

9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

You can't post about CARB without me replying!! That'd just be wrong! Carb is a great natural sounding OD pedal. I use mine into the top boost of my AC30, and it really nails the jangly tones I associate with bands like Big Star or the Raspberries. It's just nice and clean, it is a bit brighter than the normal Overdrive (a common trait among rangemasters) but has a nice midrange and tighter bottom end, that you don't find in them. I think that's why it sounds so much more amp-like.

Jayson describes it as sounding like overdriven EL34's. I'd agree with that statement... but add, that it sound's like EL84's as well. I haven't played it with 6L6's but I imagine it'd sound like them as well. It just seems to do a nice job of preserving the natural tone, if not, making it a touch brighter. On many occasions I've compared it to a Klon. Not due to its overall sound, as it is naturally, less beefy, and brighter (there is a mod, but i haven't performed it, as I like CARB as is). The reason I compare the two is because they are really the only two OD's I've played that do this good of a job preserving the natural tone of the guitar and amp.

You can tell what guitar and what amp the CARB is being played with (id say the exact same of KLON). So many pedals are designed now days to mimic other guitars or other amps. CARB doesn't do that. It's purely designed to make the guitar and amp you are playing sound Overdriven.

What I really want to know is how Klon and CARB work together. Anybody tried this?

11. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Haha, Im glad to be a member! :AOK

12. erksin

erksin Member

Has anyone tried it into a 6V6 based amp?

Anybody stack it at bedroom volumes?

13. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

Hey yall, hope you dont mind me jumpin in here. I got a couple of emails from tgp members today asking about availability. I just came up from the dungeon after doing some case drilling and grinding. I should have a few ready for you guys in a week or so. Ill post them in the dealer area again.

Glad to hear you dig the Carb E-rock and Im really psyched to get one to you. We'll have to get Lian to crank out some boards asap! FYI - for those of you who are lucky enough to get a carb with a little "L" on the inside, this means the wiring was done by a top notch electronics tech, (and a kick-ass guitarist/singer to boot). She is helping me out since orders have been piling up and I really appreciate her talent and attention to detail.

Thanks to all for your interest.

[​IMG]

14. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Should put a graphic of her on the box! :D

15. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

I told Lian to sign mine :)
    Yeah, that Lian is a kick in the ass. She did a lot of the wiring at our studio.
    Always a riot when she is in the building!!!
    Anyway, great pedal man! It is pretty much excactly what I've been looking for. I'm blown away by how cool the "character" of the clean sounds are. It's like clean, with attitude. Of course the crunch rocks too :)
    Anyway, thanks again. If you come out with anything else, let me know :drool
    Oh, and call Lian, "Spanky". She loves it......:crazy

16. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

I'm an official member of the club now. I recieved my Carb yesterday,so I'm only ankle deep into the honeymoon phase.I guess I'm one of the lucky ones cause I have Lian's little "L" on the inside.
    Good descriptions by the other guys so far,alot like my COT50,with more control (volume) and fatter sounding.
    Sounds great into my Super Reverb adding natural hair and grind at bedroom levels and stacks nicely when I run my Da MOAF or Fuzz Haze into the Carb.
    Here's a GAS inducing shot,
    now I must go do some Carb loading.
    Nice Job Jay! :BEER

[​IMG]

17. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I ordered one last night when I came home from my gig. I'm officially GASing for a GASPEDAL! Can't wait to hear it pushing my new Fargen.

18. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

Heads up E-rock, check the dealer area. Or you can stop by my place and check afew out. Peace-Jay