• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Gassing for a Blues Junior

tymj2112

I already have a Princeton '65 RI, but lately I have been gassing for a tweed Blues Junior NOS.

I doubt I will gig or practice with either, because I have a Carvin half stack for live gigs. I primarily use my Princeton, Egnater Rebel 30 and '65 Gibson Falcon for recording in my home studio. I rarely turn the Princeton up past 4 for recording, and get my dirt from pedals.

Do I need a Blues Junior? Or do I have the bases covered?

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like you don't need another amp but a Blues Junior and some dirt pedals actually work quite nicely, I think the BJ-III are the better versions to get!

Last edited:

tymj2112

Maybe it's the tweed that i really need. I am having a hard time justifying the cost for the tone difference, since I already have the Princeton and the Falcon.

IM4Tone

Need? :huh..............Justify? :huh................
What's that have to do with it? :roll:roll
Want! ;)....Now you're talking. :aok

tamader74

For a 'tweed' version I would say, No. But for a 'different' and more 'open' sound/tone, I would look at and buy the Blues Jr. III.

As jlagrassa has posted, and several others, including myself the BJ III is one 'fine' amp., and is a Major improvement out of the box than first two versions,...as some feeling they are a POS,...apparently the majority of players feel the total opposite about these, AND it's new big Brother the HRD III because they sell the shizzle out of them. Tom

I just picked up a slightly used tweed NOS BJ over the weekend. So far, I like it a lot, but it really needs some volume to find its voice. At low volumes it sounds uninspiring, but turn it up and it's nice. The tone is a bit different than the other amps listed.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
I love my BJ III its a great little amp I did mod mine, my dirt pedals sound great with it.

Last edited:

Polynitro

get a pro jr. smaller, cheaper and they sound more like the blues jr looks (like a 5e3 almost)

or bite the bullet and get a used 5E3 clone. I got one for $600 shipped.

tamader74

Typical TGP response :huh

Amen to that terrapin statement,...at times, I just don't know why this kinda' response is posted on any product that has more success than failure.

The fact that many folk's have noted, and even complimented Fender for making the Hot Rod series as a whole, better,... I wonder for what these can be purchased for, with a warranty that IS transferrable for a full 5 years,...where and what is a better bargain.

I mean it's not like these have a high fail rate, and I agree you can flat spend WAY to much $$$ for mod,'s/upgrades,...I think some just like to complain I guess,...I can think of a LOT of gear I bought over the years for more cash, and didn't find as Bullet proof. Tom

IM4Tone

My 2 cents on the Blues Jr.:
I've owned one for probably nearly 10 yrs. so I'm not speaking of the III version. After the honeymoon phase, I found it lacking something tone-wise. Tried to sell it, but they don't seem to sell well used. After reading lots of info. about others disappointments with some putting the blame on the speaker and small boxy cabinet, I tried using it through several different 2X12 cabs I own. Big improvement! That convinced me to get a custom built cab head made for its conversion.

I'd agree that to go through the many mods. available for this amp is a huge black hole for $$$$ AND I would never have bought one with the intent to convert it to a head....again too much $$$$. Since I already owned it and couldn't sell it, I invested another $225. Happy I did, as now I use it and it isn't just a dust collector.

Just saying, it's not a great sounding amp as is, and to get it to be great (which can be done), your investment could be better used elsewhere.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
I really don't think this amp is good quality on either level. Unless you plan on modding it up a lot.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
I already have a Princeton '65 RI, but lately I have been gassing for a tweed Blues Junior NOS.

I doubt I will gig or practice with either, because I have a Carvin half stack for live gigs. I primarily use my Princeton, Egnater Rebel 30 and '65 Gibson Falcon for recording in my home studio. I rarely turn the Princeton up past 4 for recording, and get my dirt from pedals.

Do I need a Blues Junior? Or do I have the bases covered?

To be honest no, you don't need it. I have stupidly traded my PRRI to a friend, and I have compared them both side by side.
I rarely play out now too, just the occasional jams with my band. I sold most of my gigging amps and bought a used tweed Blues Jr. the amp does the job done for the cheap.
It takes pedals well, great for home, very portable, and can really compete with my loud drummer and bass player.
I have also gigged with it a couple of times no problem (The PRRI could never do that to be honest, unless maybe I have a quieter band)
I have used a Vox AC30, Maz 38, DRRI, '57 Tweed clone with my band in the past.

So to answer your question. No you don't need a Blues Jr. the Princeton is the mount olympus of small amps, imo. :)

It's just good 'ole GAS.

rjbee

I've owned a few BJ's, modded them, changed speakers and then sold them. They were ok but......not the greatest, then I heard the Pro Junior. That would be my choice.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom