1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gassing for a G&L Legacy!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by trumpus, Jun 21, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey all,

I have never really been a Strat-style guitar player. I play mainly small semihollow or hollow guitars (Ibanez, Gibson CS), however I do have a Tele that has been my backup guitar for years.

Lately however, perhaps in an attempt to branch out, I have become seriously interested in picking up a G&L Legacy (though the ASAT's do make me drool as well).

Not quite sure why i'm posting - perhaps just to get it out in the open, but MAN do I want one. I played a used Legacy at a local shop and fell in love. The asking price was really fair, but thanks to a serious case of GAS that i contracted from the pedal forum guys, i couldn't afford it. It was gone the next time i checked back.

Oh well! Anyways - show me your Legacy's and further convince me to grab one!!

Also - is there any benefit in contacting G&L and ordering direct from them (is this even possible?) Shoudl i just find a local dealer and play the heck out of a bunch. I am concerned (and it's been a while since i've bought a guitar) that I won't find the finish I want (some kind of burst or natural finish) at the shop and have to order one anyway - without having played it...

Any input would be great!!

Brian

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I just bought my very first G&L . A USA made Jimi/woodstock inspired legacy with a reverse headstock. I couldn't be happier with it. For the money ($700used) it has to be one of the best values out there. [​IMG]

3. dpote

dpote Member

I've got it bad for a G&L, too. I've always wanted one but I guess I haven't been comitted to the dream. I always seem to buy something else when the time comes. Usually a cheap guitar. But no more! I'm going to get my G&L soon. Not a Legacy, but it comes close. There's a good forum for asking the factory questions over at http://www.guitarsbyleo.com

4. trumpus

Thanks for the heads up!! Definately good to know ahead of time!!

Brian

5. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Hmmm... Wrong on both answers. On the resale, you can easily take a 50% hit, if you paid a silly price to begin with and you are in a hurry to sell. I recently bought a new S500 direct from a reputable G&L dealer. I negotiated a great deal, and paid less than a grand. $1050 with shipping. How much did you pay for yours? Want a good price, don't order what you want, FIND what you want already out there! Ordering one built for you is always going to cost more, and believe me, unless you want a special order neck size, what you want IS out there right now.

Number two there are two levels of finish, standard and premier, well, if you don't count metal flake anyway:NUTS . This determines the body wood. Standard finishes are on alder, premier are on ash. As an example, for some reason classic 2 tone bursts, 3 tone bursts, and tobacco burst are considered standard, while blue, green, red, and honey bursts are considered premier. Looks to me like the pretty ones are standard, and the ugly ones are premier:D

I normally don't confront things like you are saying, but you chime in every time someone mentions G&L. You paid too much for your G&L, and you were too impatient when selling. That's not G&Ls fault.

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

My fave/main electric is a Legacy - awesome guitar.
    I'd suggest to go through a dealer, though contact G&L's artist rep if you figure you might qualify for endorsement status (contact info at glguitars.com).

7. NatStrat79

NatStrat79 Member

I just got a used legacy locally and I'm really loving it. It's one of the best playing and sounding strat style guitars I've found in awhile.

8. twitch

twitch Member

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

I also got a very good deal on a brand new Legacy.

A really great guitar, I love mine...

[​IMG]

10. ttuck

ttuck Supporting Member

The one for sale in the emporium is mine, it's a great guitar, I'm just not a strat guy despite trying many times. And I also have to pay for the Baker Crucible I recently purchased. I'm taking a pretty good hit on this one , and it's essentially brand new.

11. david henman

david henman Member

...the legacy is an amazing instrument. think of it as a "refined" strat. the tone controls are a real eye opener! the fact that they now use the plek set up system is icing on an awesome cake.

by the way, i ordered mine from a guitar shop in order to get things like sperzel locking tuners, graph tech nut and pearloid pickguard included.

-dh

12. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I just bought an ASAT bluesboy and I love the feel,playability,and tone. Mine is the chambered body without the f hole. I was just in a local gshop and they had a fiesta red legacy,rosewood fretboard, with a matching headstock,brand new for $899.and I'm sure he will move on the price.

13. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Well, a) is debatable and will ALWAYS be a case by case basis, and b) is something you KNOW has been changed years ago, yet your "beef" makes it impossible for you to outright acknowledge it. G&L proprietary, in house fabed, made in the good ol' USA pickups are standard. When you are so emotionally locked into a situation, it is a good idea to just walk away rather than :horse Excellent decision on your part.

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

>> Ordering one built for you is always going to cost more, and believe me, unless you want a special order neck size, what you want IS out there right now.

Not true. G&L doesn't charge extra to built to your specs. If you don't want the custom neck and you don't order the custom neck, you don't pay for it. Besides, a lot of the production guitars they are shipping now have extras like gun oil tinted necks, birdseye maple and fancy finishes. You might actually save money buy custom ordering a guitar without all that.

You can negotiate the price for a custom order just as you can for a production guitar. I priced my bass several places before I placed the order.

>> Standard finishes are on alder, premier are on ash.

It's not as strict as all that. You can order the wood you want with the finish you want, and nowadays they mix them all up just for production guitars. You'll see Premier finishes on alder and Standard finishes on ash just hanging on the racks in stores.

You do pay a little more for ash than alder, as "Premier finish" vs. Standard. In other words, if you get ash with a Standard finish you pay for Premier. If you get alder with a Premier finish you pay for Premier. You only pay the price for Standard if you get alder with a Standard finish.

15. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

G&L is the best used guitar buy out there period. I have had more Asats than any other guitar and all of them were great players and nice build quality. The pu's take a while to get used to but sound good. Out of 6 asat variations that i bought new from $1000. to $1350. for a custom order i sold them from $700. to $900.. So you take a hit on resale but certainly not 50% unless it is an oddball with lousy options. Bottom line is used the price is right for a good guitar!
    p.s. mine were all classics, some semihollow and one was a bluesboy which is also a classic.

16. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Minor caveat: each neck is unique and some are better than others. The one on my Comanche was rather sharp edged for example. It was very nicely finished otherwise, and sounded great.

17. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

there is a big difference in the necks. I only like the #1 and #4 necks which are 12" radius.

18. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

One hangin' on the wall will always be cheaper unless you absolutely know nothing about buying guitars. The longer it hangs, the cheaper it gets. It is true that neck size and maple vs. rosewood isn't an upcharge from the factory, but an independent shop is WAY more motivated to sell current stock. It's THEIR money sitting there gathering dust. A Guitar you order is your money. They get the markup over wholesale on your order. With one off the wall they get the markup over wholesale AND the wholesale price they invested back. Which would you rather have?

You can negotiate the price on a special order, 30% easy, but like the car salesmen always say, "what's it gonna take for you to walk out of here with one of these babies TODAY". That's where the next 5, 10, or 15% drops off.

We can nit pick all day about this stuff, but it isn't productive, and I frankly don't care who has the biggest horse beater:rolleyes: Buying used is a great thing if you know how to evaluate guitars and look for trouble spots. Buying "new old stock" is the next cheapest, and special ordering is more expensive.

19. trumpus

Well, FWIW, I see enough of them around the emporiums here, and like TGP enough that if i find the right one, i'd likely pick it up from another member.

The prices are always great and i'd rather deal with an internet person that i somewhat trust, rather than a guitar shop! I feel like there is more accountability around here than at the local shops.

Brian

20. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

>> One hangin' on the wall will always be cheaper unless you absolutely know nothing about buying guitars.

That's an ignorant statement. You don't know me, who I buy from, what kind of relationship we have, how I negotiate, how much experience I have or how much I pay.

Shouldn't that be "buyin' guitars?"

>> We can nit pick all day about this stuff

Well, this started off friendly but congratulations, you flushed that right down the toilet. "Nit-picking" with me will never be up to you.