Gassing for a new amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gobtron, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Gobtron

Gobtron Member

Soooo, i'm gassing for a new setup. I currently have a Hotrod Deluxe (USA, 1998 if it changes anything). I play with a Telecaster and a Les Paul through my pedalboard, in front of the amp. I get my ODs with pedals. I like to plug my pedalboard in and out, it's less trouble. Anyway the OD channel on the HRDX is useless. Sounds like ****.

So I am considering two options:

1- Getting an amp about the same size and weight as the HRDX, but maybe around 30 watts, because the HRDX needs to be too loud to get to the sweet spot. I'm not a loud guitarist and I play with professionals. So nobody wants to bleed from their ears.

2- Getting TWO amps around 15 watts, and play stereo with two small amps that I could carry one in each hand. So that way, I have a backup if one goes wrong, and most of my gigs, i'm the only guitarist, so i would have a "fuller" sound, playing stereo. I would have a pedal to put them mono if needed.

So basicaly, I need a good platform for pedals with a good clean channel. I am not really looking for any particular classic sound. I play stuff from country and funk to punk rock and everything in between. I don't care about the fx loop, since I use my pedals in front of the amp, and I don't care about the OD channel since I have good dirt boxes. It needs to be reliable.

I'm considering the Deluxe Reverb Reissue (65 or 68, i don't know the difference) for option 1. It seems to be reliable, has a good clean, takes pedals well, 22 watts, and slightly lighter than the HRDX.

For option 2, I am considering something the size of a Blues Deluxe, though this amp is not really reliable and sounds "boxy" according to some folks.

What do you think??

2. Gobtron

Gobtron Member