Gassing hard for a Custom 24...

Coopster

I've got a nice spectrum of guitars... Gibson LP, Fender Strat, Peavey Wolfie, EVH Special, Ibanez 540R and a nice Epi 335... So why do I want a PRS so stinking bad?? Someone talk me out of it!!

Agileguy_101

Can't do it. PRS make fantastic instruments that, despite the claim that they're the mid ground between a LP and a Strat, really have their own voice. Do it.

FractalGarden

Dunno, but you may want to first find out why you want a PRS so stinking bad and then figure out whether you want to be talked into or out of it.

(I like PRS guitars)

Nahte

Do it. I was in the same boat as you. Had just about the entire spectrum covered except for the PRS CU24. Definitely worth it. A great guitar with some interesting flavors. Can see why some like it and some don't.

icr

Same here. But I longed for the early ones (1990s) that I couldn't afford at the time. The new ones don't do it for me.

hippietim

The new ones are fantastic IMO. They're doing better pickups these days than they ever have.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
I've got a pre-factory (1994) CU24 and its become one of my favorites, but it took a LONG time to get there. After a couple of pickup swaps, a few amps, and a refret, it's now about perfect (LOL). The HFS/VB pickup set in the old ones is kind of a hate/hate thing for me. The newer ones with more modern PRS pickups are more versatile and toneful to me.

They are great guitars though. Figure out what neck dimensions you like and go for it!

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I steered away from the Custom 24 for years, mainly because I do not like the Wide/Thin neck that 90% of them have. About a year ago, I played one of the Experience 2007 Custom 24's and it had a Regular neck. I really liked it but My local GC was asking like $2250 for it - used. Anyways, my eyes were at least open now.

A few months ago I found this one here in the emporium for a song. It's a 1996 with the Regular neck. Long story short, I wish I hadn't waited so long to get a Custom 24. IMHO, the Custom 24 is not a Strat meets Les Paul hybrid like everyone touts it to be. It's a very unique guitar that has its own thing going on, and that 'thing' really works well.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Out of my 10 guitars, Gibson Historics, Fender CS, and other PRS, my Custom 24 is still the one I reach for the most.

Sorry.

C3X

I've wanted one for a long time, just never pulled the trigger. I really like how the newer models sound and the regular neck. I just don't *need* one...

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Love PRS Guitars. Been through probably 80% of their models. All cool! Now I only own 2 Custom 24's. Back where it all started for me... Paul's first all original design.

Ciroxin

For me, the best "third" manufacturer is Ernie Ball Music Man. But PRSes are great guitars. GAS is being handled only by flooring it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dig 22 fret models, and have two. They are not my only guitars. The 24 fret PRS guitars are excellent as long as you don't have to play slide on them. Something about the whole harmonics thing that does not leap out of the guitar like a Fender Strat or a Gibson Les Paul Standard. There something that the PRS scale doesn't do with scalar/nodal/positional harmonics I have never been able to reconcile. I have played them since about 1990.

:huh

I've been sort of feeling that way about the Custom 22s. Then the other day I saw one in the Rockshop with a pattern neck carve and thought I'd give it a go. Man, what a let down.

Guitar felt pretty nice to play and was clearly very well built but the clean tone was just so underwhelming. Really basic sounding, not particularly deep or complex to my ears and the notes on the high e string sounded so thin.

This hasn't totally destroyed my interest in them though, will definitely play more when I'm in the U.S and will also try to play some DGTS (maybe I'll have better luck with one of those).

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
....IMHO, the Custom 24 is not a Strat meets Les Paul hybrid like everyone touts it to be. It's a very unique guitar that has its own thing going on, and that 'thing' really works well.
This is something to really keep in mind. Part of why I took so long to come around to the one I've had for almost 20 years is because I came into it thinking it was a Strat-o-Paul. It's not. It truly does have it's own thing.

I think part of the issue that gets lost is that the PRS Custom is (IMHO) a guitar of it's time - the mid 80's. Think back. Fender and Gibson were going nowhere. As a friend who worked in a music store told me, the only way to move a Lester in '84 was to throw in a free Marshall JCM. GNR's "Appetite" hadn't dropped yet - no one wanted "old" guitars unless you were a blues weirdo or a Skynyrd tribute band.

What was hot was Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez, BC Rich, and Kramer. Anderson or Roscoe if you were flush. Superstrats. IMHO, the PRS was a guitar to run with the shredders, not with the old guard. I find that my old Custom works much better with heavy rock/metal than it does with blues. My Fender amps hate my Custom, but my Mesa Mark V looooves it.

Just my HO, but a Custom 24 to me is a superstrat with a more versatile switching arrangement, and a more vintage (but more stable!) trem. Expect something different and you may be disappointed.

Coopster

As for the why, I played one a couple of years ago and was just floored at how resonant and responsive it was unplugged. The way the neck felt and how easy it was to just play. Effortless. That feeling has stuck with me. I had an SE 24 and loved it but ended up giving it up to get the LP. So I've been thinking about replacing that with a new one but...Y'know...Going for the upgrade...

Totally Bored

I've got a nice spectrum of guitars... Gibson LP, Fender Strat, Peavey Wolfie, EVH Special, Ibanez 540R and a nice Epi 335... So why do I want a PRS so stinking bad?? Someone talk me out of it!!
We don't talk you out of it :bonk That's just wrong :aok

RDC

Just got a brand new S2 custom semi hollow. My 1st PRS guitar. Friggin can't stop playing it. I feel like a kid a again.

Sorry can't talk you out of it. Good times.

redragon

Silver Supporting Member
The thing about PRS guitars are some of the finishes, in my opinion, are just hideous. Green, blue and red guitars are just really odd to me, very unnatural and garish. I've played a few Custom 24s and just loved the playability and sound, but nothing in the world could make me feel good about playing a bright blue guitar. Yick.