Gave my DRRI a facelift

Geosh

Well, I was in the middle of doing some mods to the new Deluxe Reverb (clipping bright cap, installing a WGS ET65, putting in a set of new tubes) and I thought maybe I'd change the look to something a little more my style while I was at it.

I haven't seen any cosmetic mods to a DRRI so I thought I would share.

Before:

After:

Cosmetic changes: white grill, white chicken head knobs, blue jewel.

Schroedinger

always cool to see people personalize their gear!
I agree. Too many people look at changes like this like farting in church… violating the sanctity of Fender's original design, etc. It's your amp, make it the way you want it. That particular aesthetic doesn't appeal much to me, but I'm glad you like it. I do like the chicken head knobs though, I think they're very practical.

kwicked

I do miss the logo, but otherwise that looks fantastic! If i ever get a drri i am definitely doing the chicken knobs

Geosh

I do miss the logo, but otherwise that looks fantastic! If i ever get a drri i am definitely doing the chicken knobs

I think it needs a logo too. I am thinking about making a custom one that changes it up a bit though.

superdave2001

Gold Supporting Member
I think it needs a logo too. I am thinking about making a custom one that changes it up a bit though.
Looks awesome, love it.

How about something like this....

....but that just says "Amp." Long live the 80's! :)

Kitten Cannon

That's pretty cool - I did something similar (but totally different) a few months back when the cab for my 73 SFDR got too beat (I was starting to fear it would disintegrate completely one day at a gig). You've got me thinking it'd be cool to try some different knobs, but I have no idea what for the life of me I'd use in the place of the standard Fender ones. Mine are all beaten up though.

Geosh

That's pretty cool - I did something similar (but totally different) a few months back when the cab for my 73 SFDR got too beat (I was starting to fear it would disintegrate completely one day at a gig). You've got me thinking it'd be cool to try some different knobs, but I have no idea what for the life of me I'd use in the place of the standard Fender ones. Mine are all beaten up though.

Looks nice. I like the red tolex.

You could swap out to some black chicken heads. Or I have a pile of stock ones sitting around now if you wanted some in better shape.

Scrub off the " deluxe reverb" and paint some weird name on if
Sell it to some sucker as a boutique for 10x the price

Buy a few new drri's and mod them. ..pocket the profit

;)

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I get it. I might have made slightly different choices. But that's kind of the point, right?

I'd be curious what someone with a background in design that actual has training in "proper" commercial aesthetics would say about the original vs the custom.

ledzep618

I really, really like the look of that. Love the chicken head knobs. In fact, you motivated me to just drop $10 on mini-chickenhead knobs for my Mesa Recto...been meaning to replace the terrible knobs on it for some time. I'm a sucker for wheat or small cane grill cloth on Fenders, but the white is very elegant.

I would slap the Fender logo back on though, the front looks too barren!

corn husk bag

I really, really like the look of that. Love the chicken head knobs. In fact, you motivated me to just drop $10 on mini-chickenhead knobs for my Mesa Recto...been meaning to replace the terrible knobs on it for some time. I'm a sucker for wheat or small cane grill cloth on Fenders, but the white is very elegant.

I would slap the Fender logo back on though, the front looks too barren!
"Barren" good name for the amp. Have a logo made for it. I kind of like the clean look with out the logo though. Elegant!
Kind Regards,
Steve

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I was in the middle of doing some mods to the new Deluxe Reverb (clipping bright cap, installing a WGS ET65, putting in a set of new tubes) and I thought maybe I'd change the look to something a little more my style while I was at it.

I haven't seen any cosmetic mods to a DRRI so I thought I would share.

Before:

After:

Cosmetic changes: white grill, white chicken head knobs, blue jewel.
Looks boss!

bigtone23

I like the changes, but would add a logo to break up the large white grille.
The red DR with JMP grille looks amazing, too!
I may just have to chicken head my Dual Rec or Bravo.

candid_x

I like it. Give that ET-65 some significant play time and they really open up. I liked mine out of the box, tamed the DRRI's nasty high spike. After a couple of years I got a second for an ext cab and the difference is night and day. The old one has extended highs and lows, smooth mids, very vibrant. The new one is pretty dull and brown by comparison. Need to play through it by itself more to break it in. I rejected it in my HRDX but after it breaks in thoroughly, it might sound really good in there. The Invader sounds excellent in that amp, but breaks up at high volume.

Anyway, cool looking amp.

Trending Topics