gbase dealers kill me

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Emailed xifaras music about a heritage sweet 16 they had for sale. The guy replies back with the typical over the top description and ends with how the guitar is so great that he's not sure he even wants to sell.

I replied back "Let me know when you decide".

He replies back with "will do"...

TELECOLLECTOR

Astro Boy - who knew?
Platinum Supporting Member
I stumbled on a vintage Fender piece that was priced higher than it would have sold for back in the hey-day a few years ago.

As part of his on-line sales pitch he said his price was FIRM and priced for today's MARKET. Then he highly-recommended referring to Gbase as a guide for what real-life pieces sell for.

:roll

whitehall

Ah yes, Gbase....the Fantasy Island for retailers. Along with VG magazine and guitar shows. The three complete the trifecta of illusion for those guys.

theruley

just browsed quickly to see...diddnt think their prices were terribly ridiculous. A business cant make money by selling stuff for cost all the time:dunno

tastylicks

And a regular joe can't feed himself and pay for basics paying ridiculous gear prices, like those commonly posted at gbase.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
gbase is collecting a bunch of different dealers' instruments in one convenient spot, so there is some variety in the quality of the dealers and the prices and pricing structure of the instruments -- depending on whose shop holds them.

Slowlicks

I've been told a number of times... gbase guitars are better.
Oh okay.. Thanks and have a great day!

uburoibob

Treehugger, both in the forest and with strings.
Silver Supporting Member
gbase is collecting a bunch of different dealers' instruments in one convenient spot, so there is some variety in the quality of the dealers and the prices and pricing structure of the instruments -- depending on whose shop holds them.
What he said. It really depends on the deal. Talking collectively is like talking about THIS forum's sellers collectively.

I got a GREAT deal on a PRS Dirty 100 from the GC Platinum room via GBase. Also got a great Les Paul from a dealer on GBase. Golden Age sells there and their prices on Archtops are pretty realistic.

I think I MAY be selling my Andersen Little Electric Archie this year and GBase, as well as these forums and eBay, offer a well rounded information base for setting the price.

I think your story, Jack, is hysterical, but I don't think it's necessarily indicative of dealing on GBase. Just that dealer and a few like him...

Bob

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
The 'dealers' on GBASE are completely crazy! :nuts

I've made numerous offers that were indeed no lower than 15% of their asking price only to be ignored.

Them bastards is crazy............:rotflmao

They must all have 'deep pockets' to be able to hold out for sooooo long now.

I do know many dealers are now gone so they know they have less competition every year. Maybe that's the biz model now.
:dunno

I also know IF you pay their ridiculous prices you'll never see a profit when you need to sell.

cdntac

I think it's a great tool for us that provides a convenient, one-stop access to a network of guitar dealers.

Not a great place for those who have GAS though.... :)

gmann

OK. What the heck is Gbase?
Go here www.gbase.com. Type in what your lookin' for. For instance, if you type in Gibson Les Paul you will get over 2000 listings. It's a good tool for finding what's out there, you get alot of choices and an idea what things are going for or rather what dealers are asking for the guitars. Feel free to make a counter offer, some dealers are more realistic than others. Some good deals are to be had for sure while others are truly dreaming with some of the prices.

korby

I've also contacted a "dealer" where it was just some guy at his house selling his friends guitar who lives across the country ?

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
I've also contacted a "dealer" where it was just some guy at his house selling his friends guitar who lives across the country ?
I have had this experience, too. Gbase is definitely a mixed bag, but there are great, reputable dealers represented there, too. As in all things, communicate and get a sense for who you are dealing with before plopping down any money.

p19978

It's a great tool for viewing inventory but if you pay the asking price then shame on you.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I haven't had the same experience as some of you apparently have, I guess because I've just used it to view the inventories of certain dealers that I'm familiar with who use it instead of putting it all up on their own sites, that link it from their websites. For example, Wolfe Guitars and Truetone.

mudster

High Prairie Wrangler
Gold Supporting Member
Ah yes, Gbase....the Fantasy Island for retailers. Along with VG magazine and guitar shows. The three complete the trifecta of illusion for those guys.
Well said and completely true.

gregc

Silver Supporting Member
Yep, the " I wish I could get this for this". Hey, everyone has a dream.

Trending Topics