GBase Do You Use it?

What do you use Gbase for?

• General gear search

• Comparison shopping

• Pricing gear before I sell it

• Never heard of GBase

Results are only viewable after voting.

LVC

I have found that GBase http://www.gbase.com/ is one of the most useful tools out there if your are looking to purchase gear (guitars, amps etc).

I am surprised how many people never heard of GBase

matte

I have found that GBase http://www.gbase.com/ is one of the most useful tools out there if your are looking to purchase gear (guitars, amps etc).

I am surprised how many people never heard of GBase
if you're down for paying fool retail, then sure, gbase is great. if you actually know your ****, then ebay is the way.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
Once again, a poll set up to preclude me from voting (heard of it/seen it/don't use it).

LVC

if you're down for paying fool retail, then sure, gbase is great. if you actually know your ****, then ebay is the way.
Well Matte, not everybody is as all powerful and knowledgeable as you :dude

For most us mere mortals -- a quick tool that allows us to search for gear and comparison shop (before ebay, before the emporium, or engaging with assorted nasties and hustlers trolling around) --- is not a bad thing.

It is a great starting place for us ignorant country folks.

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
I used it once and bought an 82 LP standard for $1600 plus shipping. No complaints.

whitehall

I mostly use it for laughter. The prices are just hysterical. A real fantasy Island for guitar dealers.

Kappy

I've never had much luck with it, and the prices, when given, are usually knuckleheaded.
My thoughts/experience exactly. Frankly I think it sucks. Its "browsing" interface is ugly. Their bandwidth/server performance sucks (which equates to mega-slow page loads). Most entries are out of date --and sold by the time you call them. Oh yeah, and you have to call the shop in 99.9999% of the cases --which kinda' defeats the purposes of having a web site where you can buy stuff, doesn't it? I find the dealers who use it seem to be stuck in the late-90s technologically speaking (and those are the savvy ones!). I hate dealing online with people who can't negotiate email.

You want to sell online? Don't get extravagant and spend $100,000.00 on a slick web design, get something small and usable with good pictures and keep it up to date. It's not that hard in the last months of 2007 to do something like that. Let's let Gbase die the death of obsolescence it deserves, its death rattles hurt my ears. ;)

LVC

I've never had much luck with it, and the prices, when given, are usually knuckleheaded.
I had pretty good luck with it doing comparison shopping, located gear I wanted and negotiating a fair price.

If you just turn over your CC without a call or a bit of haggling -- then I think the term knucklehead is actually too kind.

phretbored

It's another useful resource.
A friend of mine deals through there and sells more via GBASE than anywhere else.
AFA prices if you can't or won't negotiate via email or phone than you pay full price.
If a dealer can't or won't respond to email or phone calls then vote with your wallet.
Almost always any deal I get invoved with starts with email and ends with a phone calls.

LVC

your words. not mine.

like yourself, for example?

ebay completed items is the reality check. dealers will tell you the same (even if they are looking for more $$$$)
Well somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed today.

"Matte" tea is wonderful about this time of the day.... very relaxing. I think I will go and make some.

MarkL8

I would guess you can find deals. I got turned off to the many dealers there with flat out lies about the gear they are selling especially old amps. Then you drop them a friendly note telling them they are mistaken about it, they just continue on with their fraud. Gbase=buyer beware.... more often than not overpriced!

mbrown3

I had pretty good luck with it doing comparison shopping, located gear I wanted and negotiating a fair price.

If you just turn over your CC without a call or a bit of haggling -- then I think the term knucklehead is actually too kind.
Then what's the point of the site? If I want to spend a lot of time calling stores and negotiating prices, then I would start with that...why add a middle step of going to gbase? On the other hand, if the point of gbase is to offer a faster method of getting to the gear you want with the dealer's already-lowest price, then it fails miserably. So again, what is the point of the site? I can find store's inventory on their own website, or by calling a dealer of the brand I'm looking for (and, as others have mentioned, 7 times out of 10 the gear on gbase is gone by the time you inquire about it), and can get a better price over the phone without first having to go through the farce that is gbase, knowing that those prices are ludicrous. And many of them don't show the prices anyway. I think gbase needs to close or re-think why they exist (and whether they are executing).

TheOneOff

I feel Gbase serves its purpose. Some prices are out of control, some dealers are out of their mind -- however, I have been able to locate some gear on there that wasn't listed on Ebay or on the forum at the time.

RMC519

Gold Supporting Member
I get about 40% of my "high end" customers from online info. GBase gets me about 70% of that #. Dealers are REQUIRED to list new gear with MAP prices, or risk loosing the dealership. Some prices are negotiable, others are not.
I don't know about the vintage guys and their pricing as I don't deal with that end of the spectrum.
Good tool for me!

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
Everybody wants their cut, right? Which I think explains some of the absurd, maximal-bluebook pricing- I've found that there's a $100 overage on Gbase vs. what you'll find at some dealer's websites, which I assume goes in part to cover fees.

LVC

Then what's the point of the site? If I want to spend a lot of time calling stores and negotiating prices, then I would start with that...why add a middle step of going to gbase?
unless I am just buying a set of strings -- I always call the store.

1) Typically you will find multiple listings of a similar item (whether is a boutique guitar, boutique amp or a piece of gear from one of the majors)

2) Great way for you to locate a piece of gear that is within driving distance to you, so you can play before you pay.

Overall the benefits of having Gbase I think outweigh the negatives. I think it creates a more competitive frame work.

LVC

I get about 40% of my "high end" customers from online info. GBase gets me about 70% of that #. Dealers are REQUIRED to list new gear with MAP prices, or risk loosing the dealership. Some prices are negotiable, others are not.
I don't know about the vintage guys and their pricing as I don't deal with that end of the spectrum.
Good tool for me!
I think it is a terrific tool. Over time --- you actually get to meet new dealers and establish relationships with them. for example there are several that I buy/sell/trade gear with on a fairly regular basis that I have met through GBase and they have treated me right. Some of them have even grown into friendships. I have no complaints.

I think it is a terrific tool for a seller and a buyer.

Trending Topics