GC Issue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by johnzias, Jan 6, 2008.

1. johnzias

johnzias Member

I'm not a Tele player, but I wanted a knock around Tele. I bought a Strummer in spite of the lame paint job, because it was an extremely light and resonant piece of wood. The neck was bowed, but that's par for the course for most guitars under $1k at GC.

I have since straightened the neck 4 times, and it always goes back out of true.
    New growth cheap wood, I suppose. In contrast, my '61 Strat can be left out in a snowstorm and the neck remains true. I really tried to like this guitar and tonally I did, but if it's annoying to play it must go.

I was 2 weeks past the 30 days, but being one of their better customers in terms of $$ spent, I anticipated no problems. Well, they have a new manager and the cat seems like a straight up company man who can't finesse a situation. (or just won't). I've been in this situation with returns before with GC, and in 15 yrs of dealing with them, I've never had a problem getting my money back. They tend to favor a customer with a reasonable accommodation such as this. He would only offer me a store credit, and then went on to question my qualifications for straightening a neck. Now I don't want to pull the age card, but I've been playing guitar for 45 years, and am a full time pro. I'm usually not prone to vindictiveness, but I'm now determined to let their regional manager know that they've lost a very good customer.

I think I will get my refund in the end, but I resent this guy wasting my time, and making me go through gyrations, just because he doesn't understand retail.

2. Mikey2201

Mikey2201 Member

Another reason why I don't buy there anymore. I shop and look all the time. The kicker for me was when one the salesman got angry with me because I proved my Mesa was not a solid state amp it had tubes. The real kick in the head was I bought my F50 at that store!

All there stuff is usually beat up. We all have been in there where some kid is pounding on a LP custom which he cannot possibly afford and they are letting him.

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

You don't appear to be asking anything so all I'll say is sorry about your situation and I hope you get it resolved easily to your satisfaction.

4. johnzias

johnzias Member

In addition, I was told by a friend who works at GC in Boston, that they are allowing returns on items purchased from from Thanksgiving on till January 25. This guitar was purchased 5 days before Thanksgiving.

5. openbar

openbar Supporting Member

Isn't this now a Fender warranty issue? Could you get a replacement that way?

6. johnzias

johnzias Member

I don't want a replacement. I've played two others, and they all have the same problem. Cheap, young wood.

7. openbar

openbar Supporting Member

I understand your bitterness, I had a P-bass with the same problem - you could tighten that truss rod every day, it would still go back. But on the other hand, I have 2 MIM Fenders that are really great.

8. 6789

6789 Member

try returning it at a different location. there are 4 GC stores near where I live. maybe there's another near you.

9. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

John:
    Nothing worse than...
    1. A neck that's not properly cured/finished/sealed.
    2, Living in an area with humidity & a strange GC manager.

Whether it's a quality control issue or a corporate control freak, a quick call to Better Business or Fender in Scottsdale or getting ahold of a company sales rep should settle it. But it's always a drag & drain to haggle.

But is there a "lesson learned'? Go to a smaller, family-owned business who really want your business (and want to keep it).

10. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I have a '99 '62 RI that has done this since new. I finally fixed it last year. Here is what I did...

1. removed the neck
    2. removed all truss rod tension from neck
    3. conditioned fretboard daily for 10 or so days with http://www.deerroguitars.com/fingerboard_conditioner.htm
    4. After ten days put guitar back together and put tension back on truss rod.

After doing this I haven't had to touch the truss rod on my '62 RI for a year now.

11. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not aware of many mom and pop shops that would give a refund after 6 weeks of ownership. I'm sure they would offer to make a warranty claim or even give a store credit, but a cash return after 6 weeks is pretty tough for a business to swallow. A 30 day return policy is pretty generous IMO.
    I've also been burrned by a warped neck Ibanez bass that I bought cheap. Also had similar issue with a Goldtop Classic.
    I've heard more than once that the JS models have had issues though.

Hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction.

12. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I was thinking of a similar approach to 83stratman's. I see you are in the Tampa Bay area. I suspect the weather has changed pretty dramatically over the last 6 or so weeks. Guitars hanging in GC tend to get dry. Homes in Tampa Bay tend to be damp. So a new guitar cycles from dry to wet. Then a cold snap hits and the humidity in your house changes from 50-60% down to 20-30%, then it warms back up and so on.

Some necks are more (too?) sensitive to humidity changes and may be too much to deal with in certain seasons and locations. This can be true for both maple and rosewood board necks. I have found that properly treating/conditioning a rosewood fretboard can have a positive impact on neck stability. I like Fretdoctor but there are a bunch of products on the shelf that'll help reduce the tendacy of the fretboard to shrink and swell from humidity changes. If your fretboard was maple, this obviously doesn't apply.

I have seen guitar necks on older (>10 years old) guitars get more stabile when the rosewood fretboard is treated. And, FWIW, many new guitars don't suffer from big neck movement. I have instruments with pretty stable necks that would need seasonal adjustment if always I kept the neck relief spot on. Being lazy I tend to set em so the relief is as low as I want it when the humidity is high. Then I live with the increase in relief when it drys out.

Good luck dealing with GC. Can't help you there. If you are so inclined conditioning the fretboard might help settle the neck down. OTOH, probably won't help you with an attempt to return the guitar though since you'd be altering the instrument.

hunter

13. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder Gold Supporting Member

14. johnzias

johnzias Member

I appreciate all the perspectives.

I've spent most of my life in NY. The indoor circumstances in my house in Florida are the most favorable I have ever experienced for guitars. The humidity ranges from 45% to 60% at all times. In NY, my house would be 75% in the summer, and 20% in the winter with the heat on constanly. Sure, outside this is a very humid place for 6-7 months a year, however the heat is almost never on. It is also fairly dry here for 6 months. I have 18 guitars, all on display. 17 of them have no neck issues. This is just a garbage neck.

GC's policy, while typical for a big chain, usually allows for some wiggle room, not to mention that I've spent about 50k there over the years. Ultimately, I can give all my non-boutique business to Sam Ash. For 14 days, and a real problem with the instrument, I think they can accomodate me, and I'm sure they will.

15. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I agree with this. It sucks that you are having problems with your axe, but getting vindictive over this is out of line, IMO. Their return policy is 30 days. It's been more than 30 days. Endostory.

The fact that they offered store credit when they didn't have to is proof enough to me that they are trying to make you happy.

The Fender warranty sounds like your best bet now.

A

16. cube

cube Member

i played 5 strummers and the neck were nice and straight.

17. johnzias

johnzias Member

Not end of story at all. Virtually no retail business embraces that point of view with good customers. It is a penny wise and pound foolish policy. I guess you didn't read where I stated that they are accepting returns for any reason on items bought between Thanksgiving and the end of the year till Jan. 25. That's more like 60 days. Retail is about winning customers while retaining a profit. Accommodating this situation accomplishes both goals.

18. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I played one here and it had a great neck. The rest of the guitar looked like s*#t.

How do you know for sure that the other two have the same problem unless you took them home and played them for a couple of weeks?

Jeff

19. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder Gold Supporting Member

20. getbent

getbent Member

take the hit.

sell it on ebay and move on....