GC now selling incomplete guitars?

sbrollins76

Supporting Member
They are hurting for used inventory right now, but that is ridiculous.

Although the price is out of whack, I think it's kinda cool. At 40% less, I'd be interested.
It's funny because the description in the listing says "1400$" like a bad craigslist ad, then it's listed for $1700. And that's reduced from $1900!

Obligatory:

beeswax75

Although the price is out of whack, I think it's kinda cool. At 40% less, I'd be interested.
Yeah. Who would pay that for that. Haha. Oh GC.............
Seems they're feeling overly confident from the recent Covid surge.

Guitarworks

I don't know that any retailer thinks having no used inventory is a bad thing, or that they would be "hurting" for used inventory. I don't think any new merchandise dealership pines for used merchandise ("oh! If only we had more heavily and irreversibly modded, re-finned used guitars! That would be wonderful!"). IME, every retailer wants you to buy a new guitar and NOT trade anything in on it. They want only your cash, not your used inventory occupying valuable floor space where more new inventory could go, and they want nothing but new inventory going cha-ching out the door.

jvin248

...I don't think any new merchandise dealership pines for used merchandise...
Actually they do.
New car dealers get a thin margin on new vehicles, make their money on the financing and your used vehicle turn in. They spiff that baby up and double the price on the used lot.

Guitar stores will buy your beater for half what that beater sells for, hang it on the wall, sell it for a beater price and double their money. Wider margin than they make off the new stock.

That GC add was just poorly handled/fumbled.

phil b

I cant remember if it was on Ebay or not but there was a retailer that was selling brand new gibsons without hardware or electronics. I want to say it was also bodies and necks too. Damn if I can remember though.

joesatch

doesnt every store have a luthier on staff? You would think they could just have their emplyee install the pickups? this is like a car dealer selling a car without an engine

Lt Dak

Supporting Member
1709.99 for an electric guitar that does not currently have electronics or even a way to be strung. That is hilarious.

Bob Pollock

Silver Supporting Member
I cant remember if it was on Ebay or not but there was a retailer that was selling brand new gibsons without hardware or electronics. I want to say it was also bodies and necks too. Damn if I can remember though.
Gibson dependable, same deal as Stratosphere, for the same reasons.

dreamspace

$1700
+ $100 for tuners
+ $250 for pickups
+ $50 for wiring, switches, pots, knobs, etc.
+ $x for work

So that's probably at least $2100

Some of the same models on Reverb

$2100
$2250
£2016
$1853
$2250
$1750

So, eh, not sure what to think about that guitar. Maybe cool if you'e absolutely in love with that model, but plan on ripping out everything evertyhing? Saves you some work.

But other than that, it just sounds like a pain. Might as well purchase a complete model for the same-ish price.