GC used gear shipped to Store Experiences?

YYZ

Silver Supporting Member
Saw a used amp in Missera and was thinking about having it shipped to store in SoCal. Of course I can ask the GC people about it, but I'm worried I won't get an accurate answer.:tapedshut
Anyone done this? Do they tack on shipping? What's the return policy?

Heady Jam Fan

They are pretty good.

Its 50/50 if they pack it amazingly well or like crap. In my experience, when things have arrived broken from them, it just takes a bit of pressure to get them to accept a return. They've asked me to pay for return shipping before and usually I ask for a manager, explain the packing was terrible, and they refunded the shipping cost when it got back to them.

Not to mention, shipping is free if they send it to the store closest to you. And you can return stuff to your nearest store too. At least this was their policy last time I bought from them.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Bought a bass last month and it shipped to my local GC. Packed very well. Shipping was very reasonable - $15. I would recommend it. Especially if there are any issues - you can get a refund right on the spot.

MaxTwang

A couple years ago GC advertised a used Mesa Mark IIB head in a store a few states away and I ordered it. When it arrived it was a IIA in a big box with a couple sheets of newspaper for packing/padding! I had to bring in photos of a IIB to show the manager it was not as advertised and they gave me a full refund (including shipping).

Call the store manager where the item is and get a description of condition (hard to tell with the pics on the GC site) and talk about how they pack/ship. I've used the 'contact' on the GC website but rarely got a response - definitely call. They'll try to sell it to you over the phone to get their commission but they can also be flexible on price; if they do, make sure they fax/email you a receipt and tracking info.

Crowbar

Yeah get it shipped to the store, that way if it's damaged they are holding the bag.

And yeah they may not know what they are talking about. I called the far away store and asked about the amp I saw online. The guy says it's fine of course. It turns out it was modded with a switchable master volume. No big deal, I guess you could call it a plus but you would hope they would know something like this.

YYZ

Silver Supporting Member
Hmm. So, the price can be negotiated when shipping used to another store? Either way, I'm still a bit concerned working with GC on a used amp transaction across states.

Hmm. So, the price can be negotiated when shipping used to another store? Either way, I'm still a bit concerned working with GC on a used amp transaction across states.
Just use a credit card and if you don't get you want you can reverse the charge if necessary. But you shouldn't have to, GC has always done right by me with returns, no questions asked.

I've done ship-to-store multiple times and always open it up on the spot and test it before leaving. Haven't had any issues yet, but if I did I would just return it then and there.

Uncle Pat

Never had a prob with them, even on big items like PA speakers. Weren't always packed the best, but everything arrived intact and as advertised.
As a plus, when you unpack and inspect there at the store you can leave the garbage with them.

JackStraw12

Definitely recommend shipping to stores. I just got a Subway Rocket delivered next day shipping for only $14. Packed really well.

ksandvik

If I remember correctly the shipment to store costs, but if you return it you don't need to pay the return shipping.

Amazing deal, especially with the 30 day return policy. So far I've returned zero products from used.guitarcenter.com.

corn husk bag

Had a nice Flame Maple Les Paul shipped to a local store. Opened the case and there were chips in the headstock. They took it back no questions. If I get stuff this way I always open it in the store and check it out.

Steve

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
This is a little bit apples to oranges, but I've bought a bunch of used pedals from GCs all across the country. I've returned two or three to my local GC, and they've given me a full refund, no questions asked. My sense (though it's anecdotal and I haven't read it anywhere) is that you can take any used gear back to any store. Then again, perhaps I've just gotten really exceptional service and that's not their actual policy. Still, I've been impressed that they've been willing to do that multiple times for me.

Roccorobb

GC used amps are the best thing that outlet does IMO. You have access to the whole nations worth of inventory, easy pickup and return (if needed) at your local store, and usually very good prices. also, isn't there a 30 day money back guarantee ?

GC used is pretty much the most risk-free used experience you can get for the price. They'll take returns with no problem (ime) and you have 30 days to test drive it. Go for it.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Very cool. In my case a "the Paul" traveled from Michigan, and arrived with a very twisted neck. The local guys were very understanding and helped with smart decision to not purchase the guitar.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Saw a used amp in Missera and was thinking about having it shipped to store in SoCal. Of course I can ask the GC people about it, but I'm worried I won't get an accurate answer.:tapedshut
Anyone done this? Do they tack on shipping? What's the return policy?
They'll take it back. If it's defective, they'll refund everything. If it's not, you eat the shipping. I had three used amps shipped to my local GC, all three were defective and had to be returned.

MangoMango

Gold Supporting Member
As many have said, its a coin toss.

I had an ampeg head sent to me that was packed perfectly and as described.

I also bought a conrford that was told to be all original and collector quality.

The corford's tubes came out in shipping and were smashed. (never mind one was a $250 vintage)

The speaker had been swapped which was clearly evident by the new screw holes easily seen from its open back.

Not only did it have a significant ding on top it also had one on the bottom as if it had been crunched between the hatchback of an SUV or something.

Took it strait to my local GC and the they refunded with out question.

The only problem was that the original store had to "release the funds" so it took a day or so......

somecafone

I've purchased two used guitars from distant GC stores.
One shipped to work, one shipped home.
No problem with either.

I would say go ahead without hesitation.
Ship to store would most likely be better should there be a problem.

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
Did this once. JVM410. Amp was in a GIANT box with very little packing peanuts and not wrapped. The peanuts were everywhere inside the amp. Amp could freely move and was banged around a bit. Still functioned fine though and at the price, I still took it after I confirmed no issues.

Plus there is a 30 day return policy.

Marshall Man

I ordered an amp on Thursday from GC used and I haven't gotten the shipping email yet. I have bought several amps used from them. Someone hit it on the head, shipping is excellent like when I bought my JCM800 combo, or ****** like the Peavey Bravo amp that was bent and did not work...amp was just stuck in a box with no packing material.

Trending Topics